Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,167 Posts
    07-06-24
  2. 263 Posts
    05-06-24
  3. 2,256 Posts
    08-06-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Accident with a bus at a... by
    47,914 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,476 Posts
    Today
  6. 9,487 Posts
    Yesterday
  7. 717 Posts
    03-06-24
  • Police officer's word as evidence
    Fair enough. I am fully familiar with PACE, and a warrant here is not required to obtain phone records or to search a vehicle see more
    British by birth, moved from Croydon to Los Angeles in 96, so I've seen both UK, and US law, and there's very little difference.... see more
  • Insurance advice. Damage own car
    So.... Let me get this right. The bollards belong to you and you paid for them to be installed. Is that correct? If so then I repeat that it is... see more
    Hello, Thank you for your reply. I don't know what to say. Ive just spoken to her about the car. The car was my ex wife responsibility. The... see more
    Reporting any injury, loss or damage refers to the third party only, not your own vehicle. That is why I said if damage has been caused to third... see more
    That is absolutely true so far as the criminal law is concerned. However, the OP is almost certainly obliged to tell his insurer. Aviva's Ts and... see more
    @Fellowscot The first question is. Was any damage caused to the bollards. If the answer is no, then no accident/crash has occurred as the law... see more
  • Drink driving
    ​​​​​​​It is more common than you think and not just drinking but eating as well. see more
  • Drink driving
    I vaguely remember a story of a driver who was fined for taking a sip of a soft drink whilst stopped at traffic lights. ​​​​​​​I suspect there... see more
    Hello, Please accept my apologies if this has been asked. I have only had one time experience with insurance companies after a car bumped into... see more
  • Accident with a bus at a roundabout
    @ExpyreFrom your description, yes, you were at fault, but the bus driver isn't blameless. Regardless of fault, you're obliged to tell your... see more
  • Accident with a bus at a roundabout
    Hi all, Just looking for a bit of advice on this… Im a young, learner driver that owns and is fully insured on my personal car. Recently, i got... see more
  • Do You Know Someone Who Deserves One Of These?
    I always thought it was extremely hard to lose your driving license in the USA, to the point where you'd have to do something so bad you'd probably... see more
    I was the only witness to come forward after a collision on the M4 some years ago. I alleged that driver A was 100% responsible for the collision by... see more
    @NMNeil ​​​​​​​I am guessing you are in the USA (or at least not in the UK) where your rules are very different to ours? see more
  • Can We Recommend Products?
    ​​​​​​​Will love to hear what you think once you have read them 👍 see more
    TC1474: Thanks for that, I have ordered a couple. see more
    We had a few challenges to the no cell phone use while driving, in the form of "you have no evidence" I would seize the cell phone as evidence of... see more
    A Police officer cannot as a rule give evidence of opinion except in a couple of circumstances, the first being the opinion that someone was/is drunk... see more
    A police officer's statement IS evidence (as is anyone else's), and can be used to successfully prosecute a speeding charge in some circumstances.. ... see more
    Is there a certain reason that a police officer's word is considered sufficient grounds for a prosecution of someone using their phone at the wheel?... see more
    ​​​​​​​If you enjoyed that, then you will definitely enjoy the books written by John Nichol see more
  • Do You Know Someone Who Deserves One Of These?
    From my perceived knowledge of US Govt Depts, I equated their DMV to our Licence issuers. My friend received a letter from the US Embassy banning... see more
    I've read Vulcan 607, and it is, in my opinion, one of the best narratives of a war-time event ever written. Definitely rates in my top three. see more
  • Insurance claim help
    They cannot threaten you with theft of your own vehicle when they do not own the vehicle, and they should understand the basic definition of theft. ... see more
  • Auto renewal not cancelled!
    If you can't get satisfaction from the RAC, take it up with your bank. ​​​​​​​I have had this problem with other companies in the past and make... see more
    Thanks @TC1474 for that I’m quite into that sort of thing myself, especially the aircraft side, despite having zero military history myself or... see more
  • Insurance claim help
    @TC1474 Yes...I am glad they are admitting their faults but am unpleased with the £70 compensation. They have also told me I can keep my courtesy... see more
  • Feeling defeated: looking for advice
    @Santa I come here looking for help, and get a load of guff. I said nothing alleging quotas or incentives, the fact you brought them up speaks of... see more