Accident whilst reverse parking

Whist reverse parking my long wheelbase van and manoeuvring the van into the correct position ..checking kerb alignment etc .. on making my final move straight into the space another driver pulled out from 2 bays up (beside me to my right) straight into my back drivers quarter .. completely smashing my bumper my lights .. for the short distance travelled the damage was allot so the speed he came out was ridicules … and I’m my eyes clearly didn’t check mirrors .. can I please have other views on this
  • 3 Replies

Community Manager
    Hi @Michelleg0000,

Welcome to the Community!

I'll let others share their thoughts on liability, but did you both share insurance details? What have the insurers said so far?

It must've been quite a shock, I hope everyone is ok.
    @Michelleg0000

Did you take any pictures, especially pictures showing where your vehicle was located and where the third party came from and ended up? Always worth taking pictures (which are admissible in evidence) as a good photo can be worth a thousand words.

If not, was there any CCTV in operation and if so can you obtain a copy which might provide all the evidence you need?

If not possible, then prepare as much of a detailed sketch plan as you can and submit it with your claim along with as much written detail as you can provide, all you can do then is let the insurers decide liability but it should not be an issue.

I have seen very slow speed collisions write vehicles off, so speed really is not that relevant in a case like this, more of a red herring, but positions before and after are what you need to show.
    Hi @Michelleg0000,

Welcome to the Community!

I'll let others share their thoughts on liability, but did you both share insurance details? What have the insurers said so far?

It must've been quite a shock, I hope everyone is ok.

In damage only crashes, there is no legal requirement to exchange insurance details.

I mention this because the number of crashes I have dealt with where one of the parties has got upset because one of the parties did not provide insurance details in a damage only and then get quite indignant when they are told it is not a legal requirement.

I can go into more detail of what is required in law after a crash if so desired.

Suffice to say, insurance details need only be provided after an injury crash, and if not provided at the time then it must be reported to the Police as soon as practicable but in any case within 24 hours, but it only applies to injury crashes.