M25 junction 16/17

Hi All

My first post on here. I am travelling in the early hours of the 17th May clockwise around the M25 from the M4 up to the M11 for stansted airport.

The highways agency states on their website that there will be lane closures and diversions in place.at junctions 16 and 17. Does anyone know if it will be passable without diversion?

Thanks

Chris
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Best Answer
    Hi All

My first post on here. I am travelling in the early hours of the 17th May clockwise around the M25 from the M4 up to the M11 for stansted airport.

The highways agency states on their website that there will be lane closures and diversions in place.at junctions 16 and 17. Does anyone know if it will be passable without diversion?

Thanks

Chris

I travelled around the M25 yesterday from the M4 to Chelmsford and back later in the day.

Junction 15 - 14 was closed from late PM until 6am so everything is filtered onto the M4.

Clockwise from South Mimms to the M11 junction was a nightmare due to lane closures and a 40 limit.

Took me nearly an hour to cover about 5 miles.

Return journey late last night was subject to multi lane closures and lower speed limits.

Even at 11. - 11.30pm it took me twice as long to cover the journey to what it would usually do that time of night.

Hope that helps with your planning?
    "Lane closures" usually means just that - some lanes will be closed but not the whole road.

You will not be able to see the level of congestion until the day, so all I can suggest is to allow extra time and check on Google Maps before you leave.
    Those junctions are local to me, and I would suggest the following: Come off the M25 at J16 onto M40 . (There are two slips here so take the 2nd one, signposted London. It is a 270 degree turn on the slip, quite tight, and is underneath the M40) On the M40 take the First slip road down to Denham Roundabout, and turn left. (There are traffic lights at the bottom of the slip road.) At the first smaller roundabout, take the first exit onto the A40. A bout a quarter mile, turn right at the lights onto A412. Follow A412 for a few miles crossing one mini-roundabout and a few sets of traffic lights, some of which are part time, rush hour only. You will arrive at Maple Cross proper roundabout, take the first exit, you don't have to stop as it is a slip road avoiding the roundabout proper. M25 J17 is ahead. The slip road onto the M25 from the roundabout is only one lane after a very short distance. Google maps is up to date on all aspects of this route.