Right of way on hill ?

Minor road - long straight hill

Parked cars on either side so only room for single flow of traffic but with gaps to use as passing places

Who has right of way/ priority ? - Cars coming up hill or cars going down hill.

Cant see anything in Highway Code ?
  • 7 Replies

Minor road - long straight hill

Parked cars on either side so only room for single flow of traffic but with gaps to use as passing places

Who has right of way/ priority ? - Cars coming up hill or cars going down hill.

Cant see anything in Highway Code ?

I would say common sense and some courtesy would go a long way on this one it would also depend on the size of the vehicles involved and the size of the passing places,i would think that if someone is already passing the parked vehicles as you come to them or visa versa then they/you would as you wouldnt be able to pass any way if there wasnt enough room for both parties,if no one has,or both arrive together try and time it so that you or they can get into one of the passing places,if it is a larger vehicle hgv etc i would tend to let them go wether up or down the hill as it is easier to stop and pull in in a car,i know in reality you will always get the one thats going to go wether you like it or not,but just let emm go their not worth it,
    only my humble opinion of course,
    It has nothing to do with 'going up' or 'going down' the hill - the usual rules apply

if the parked vehicle is on your side of the road - you must give way

apply common sense on a busy road with lots of parked cars and go in and out of the spaces as safety dictates
    I think it states in the highway code somewhere to give way to vehicles going up the hill irrespective of which side the parked cars are on.
    That's right - it recommends giving way to vehicles going uphill - wherever you can

but I think they mention this only in relation to single track roads - obviously the same principle applies though
    I think the priority is for vehicles going up hill - they're using more effort to go up and they'll lose a lot of momentum if they wait for vehicles coming down to swoop past.
    But personally I let the pushiest drivers go first - it really would be the end of their world if they had to give way to any grown-ups.:rolleyes:
    Which is the safest way to reverse ??

I was always told that the car going downhill gave way by reversing up the hill into a safe passing place. Yo have more control reversing up a hill than reversing down.
    it's this simple ,is it easier to stop going up or coming down the hill? gravity dictates it is easier to stop an object going up a hill, it is easier and safer.