Corsa c help

Hi. Any help would be appreciated. I am a complete novice car wise
    My son has a 51 corsa c 1.2.
    The other evening he came home, removed key from ignition. Car carried on running
    We stalled it and disconnected battery. The key ran freely in lock so I now know it's a broken pin
    A "helpful" friend came to look at it for me.
    He said it was ignition switch. He then hot wired it ( I don't know why!!). It started. He stopped it. It wouldn't start again. He told me to scrap it
    A neighbour later asked what had happened. He knew straight away to change barrel and switch.
    That's been done. Chip in key was also swapped over. The chip was taken out of the old key and put in new one.
    One of the fuses had blown and this has been changed
    Problem is car won't start at all. When the ignition is turned, only the odometer and hazard lights work.
    Nothing else. No indicators fans radio etc. No warning lights. There's nothing at all.
    I would like to know if anyone has a clue because although an old car it's a fantastic little runner
    I don't think it's worth spending at lot of money on but if it's a cheap fix I'll have a go
    Can anyone help?
  • 5 Replies

I'm no expert on this kind of thing, but it sounds like the car has not accepted the new "pin" as it's not been synced to it, good luck.
    I don't think you can fit the chip wrong - it's not powered and only has to be near to the barrel. It will be already synced to the pickup sensor near the steering lock. When I've changed barrels on old chipped-key cars in the past, I've just had standard non-chipped keys and cable tied the original key to the steering lock under the shroud so that it picks up the signal. Only on old cars that nobody is going to bother nicking though.

My mate had a similar problem a few weeks ago with his Renault van. He did it himself and then phoned me up saying it wouldn't start. He had been trying to start it with the steering column shroud off to make sure it was okay but had forgot to refit the chip receiver ring back over the steering barrel. You haven't done the same, have you?
    Hi. Thanks for that. No the key is ok. Everything is back where it should be
    We're at a loss. I'm guessing it's got to be something electrical
    It's got us stumped. Won't turn over no lights nothing!
    As you have changed the ignition switch. Have you checked that you are getting a love feed out of the ignition switch for both ignition and starting when the key is turned to the relevant position?
    I honestly don't know if he has or not the neighbor did it for me. I have no idea about cars. I will ask him today.
    I was wondering if it was something to do with immobiliser after hot wire