What car to go for? Advice needed.

Hello all,

Desperately need your advice!

We've been living overseas for the last four years but will return to the UK next month. We are a family of four (1 and 5 year old) and will be living near Gloucester but travelling to London at least once a fortnight. The car will also be used for the school run and commute. We have been driving a XC90, which we bought new and loved, but won't be bringing back to the UK.

We can't decide which car to go for and whether to buy new or used. We are likely to be in the UK for 2-4 years before being posted overseas again.

Hopefully this might help to inform your advice.

- budget: £18-21k
    - prefer small SUV/crossover type - got used to luxury and high seating of XC90 (but not fuel efficiency!)
    - automatic
    - prefer petrol but open to diesel
    - 6-8k miles per year
    - main qualities: comfort, safety, style
    - max age for used: two years

We have so far considered Qashqai (£22k for 1.2 petrol new but unsure of resale value and second hand models scarce); Mazda CX-5 (looks good but costly new); CR-V (lots of kit for the price but costly new and poor reviews); RR Evoque (love the looks but costly even used and not a lot of kit for money); and Kia Sportage (looks good but not the best comfort levels or drive quality).

Very happy to reconsider any of the above or something else.

Thanks in advance
  • 3 Replies

If I were you, I would remain loyal to Volvo. My choice would be a Petrol powered S80.
    It's such a pity you can't take the existing car home with you, as you know the car well. It would save you spending more money replacing it. .........in fact, if the cost it taking it home was cheaper than selling it, to buy another car, it might even be more cost effective to keep it, good luck.
    With that budget I would go for a 2.0 litre petrol Mondeo Titanium. One year old models are plentiful and still have two years warranty left. The 6 speed powershift automatic is silky smooth and it's as happy burbling along to school as at 70 on a motorway.