Ford Focus diesel, problem with rev's dying

When I drive my 1999 Focus diesel after a short time my glow plug warning light comes on & although the engine is running & all the electrics are working you cannot get any rev's, but the moment you switch the engine of & start the ignition all's fine for another short time the same things happen. It's occuring at a shorter time as time goes by.

Anyone else suffering this & could give me a clue?
  • 21 Replies

I have a ford focus tddi 90ps v reg with about 65000 on the clock and I have the same problem as yourself. my wife rang me this morning with the same symtoms on her car.
    I had the air intake pipes off the weekend because it is smoking quite bad (black smoke) when you accelerate hard, the intake pipe by the egr valve was caked with oily sludge so i cleaned it out the best i can and took it for a run, it seemed better, i just hope i havent damaged anything. i will have a look at it tonight and let you know if i find anything.
    i have found with further investigation that if you keep blipping the accelerator and not let the car idol the glow plug light will not flash and the car will run fine, on first start in the mornings the car smokes quiet badly (blue smoke) but as soon as i take it off the drive it is fine. i have rang my local ford dealer and they were no help (bring it in so we can keep throwing parts at it till it works and charge you 80 quid a sensor ha ha) has any one out there had this problem and fixed it please let me know, thanks
    I have this problem, I was told it was the accelerator pot?
    did you replace the accelerator box or can you actually repair these with a bit of contact cleaner?
    i have been told that the ECU measures the resistance of the glow plugs and if its too high it will cause the glow plug lamp to flash. so i will be fitting them hopefully the weekend and i will let you know.
    This has got to be a stock fault and it's resolution known. I havn't replaced anything yet, I'm trying to get hold of some diagrams /manual first. are you replacing the heater plugs or can they be cleaned off? . good luck.
    I've just looked at another site ffoc.co.uk. this fault is almost certainly a faulty pedal unit (I think the pot is within) three bolts and a socket to replace. please let me know if it works.
    just replaced the pedal unit £70 from dealer the replacement looks different but works fine. No panels or carpets to remove, 3 nuts M10 and the unit comes clear then release plug. I stripped the old unit and all thats inside is a plastic film with carbon tracks and a wiper to sweep across (same idea as a scalectric contoller) and the tracks were clearly worn through the carbon track and the film "holes", also i had to cut of a mounting lug on the pedal unit, this is used for other models. Im off for a good run the weekend should prove it....hu..hooo!..... tell us if it's good for you.
    Pretty sure it's your acellerator pedal unit,,, see the post on RAC
    i cleaned the contacts on the glow plugs the week end and had no complaints as yet. basically slackened the nuts, sprayed with duck oil and tightened them back up, i will keep you posted on any problems.
    i have now replaced the accelerator pedal because my wife said it played up last wednesday again, fitted thursday night, took me 10 mins LOL. no problems yet, and the response from the new pedal is a lot smoother so i will see how it goes.
    Heater Glow plug lamp on

I've done 250 miles and no Heater Glow plug lamp or rev's dropping to tickover. Ya hoo.
    Rev Drop

I've got a Mondeo 2.0 TDCI and have suffered the same. I found it happened in colder weather and accelerating hard after a cold start. After taking it to the utterly usless main dealer, they "re-mapped" the engine and apparently it was a software glitch. It has happened once since the remapping, but now I just a little while before accelerating hard.
    I replaced the pedal unit (£70) I've done 900 miles and no problem. When I stipped down the pedal "pot"entiometer I could see the tracks were worn away. Do you get the heater coil lamp on and just tickover as if the pedal is disconnected when fault appears, and the ignition off and on clears it. I believe you can cause the problem to occur by unplugging the pedal connector?
    When I drive my 1999 Focus diesel after a short time my glow plug warning light comes on & although the engine is running & all the electrics are working you cannot get any rev's, but the moment you switch the engine of & start the ignition all's fine for another short time the same things happen. It's occuring at a shorter time as time goes by.

It's you accelerator pedal unit (£70) to change it 3 nuts 1 connector.
    still no problems with the glow plug lamp flashing, i can safely say the accelerator pedal has done the trick
    Hello everybody. I had the same problem ( flashing heater glow plug lamp, no acceleration, engine on 800 rpm, working after "restart" the engine, ... ) with a 1.8DI Ford Focus (2000). The problem was, that the "potenciometer" of the acceleration pedal goes wrong and was too sensitive. After I replaced the acceleration pedal unit everything is OK (tested on more than 2000km). I hope that I help you with my experience.

But now I have another problem:(
    The car goes fine, but is smoking blue at low rpm (1000-2000rpm) and smoking black when I accelerate hard. What can be the problem? EGR or ... ? Please help me if you can :)

-Z -
    I had this problem. The solution is to replace the throttle pedal.

happen the exacly the same in my ford focus 1999
    Dying Focus

The problem is probably your accelerator pedal. A replacement cost me ~£60.
    paddler

Thanks for previous info. I have a Ford Focus W reg. Same problem as others have described, heater warning light would come on and I would lose all acceleration, althoug the engine would keep running.
    Fitted a new accelerator pedal a week ago and it has cured the problem.

i've got the same problem i wish i knew what it was