Don't Fix What Ain't Broken

Yes there has been a major change to the forum layout. Its a bit like when the TSB 'upgraded' their operating system and it went into meltdown. TSB were highly rated before the changes, now they are at the bottom of customer satisfaction. The RAC is in danger of going the same way.
    Shortly, several forum areas will be removed supposedly to clean it all up a bit, yet some topics are rarely if ever commented on but they will stay :confused:
    The side panel with trending and topics is over elaborate and does not reflect what has been posted recently. To see new posts, you have to open each section to see the new threads which is a cumbersome way of finding out.
    I had sincerely hoped the RAC would have dealt with the spam and other rubbish being posted on here on a daily basis. I have reported a number of the dodgy posts - counterfeit money, Facebook pages, fake passports and so on - yet no one has responded :mad:
    What is the point in reporting it if no one reads it or actions it? Leaving the dodgy threads on here is really going to give a member or new-to-the -site visitor faith in the RAC's ability to deal with spam, not, and in fact makes the RAC look very amateurish at best :rolleyes:

No doubt some whizz kid in IT thinks this is all brilliant but in reality its a mess. Nothing seems to be happening, genuine long term members get the green 'unapproved' page while spammers remain intact.

As for a moderator? What is going on? Posts I reported more than 3 days ago are still on here unanswered. You are going the same way as TSB. Downhill.
  • 22 Replies

What ****** me off is that I go on 'today’s posts'. When I’ve read the first one, if I press the 'today’s posts' again or go go back one page on my browser, I get this:

On the main page this morning under Technical and Maintenance there is a post by delfi87 but when you open the thread up there is nothing there. So then I click on that name and this person was banned immediately he/she posted and the normal orange colour on the section is missing.
    This is chaos :confused:

That instruction you got Motman used to be the same one I got before the changes if I posted too quickly between threads.
    I Like Motman, the 60-second thing really cheeses me off. I think I may give it all a miss for a while until the RAC sort it out.
    Originally Posted by Santa;n194868
    I Like Motman, the 60-second thing really cheeses me off. I think I may give it all a miss for a while until the RAC sort it out.

I like you too Santa. X ?
    Hi Hometune - thanks (again) for the feedback. Your frustration around the spam posts and reflect ours and since the forum has migrated over, we can confirm we are investigating what can be done... although this will not be a quick fix.

The posts you flagged were this morning removed and to manage future expectations - there will be NO moderation throughout the evenings and weekends currently. This may change in the future but at the moment that is current the SLA. We appreciate the negative affect of spam posts and will do our best to remove as soon as possible.

RE the fact that existing members posts are not being approved - we believe the issue we had last week has been fixed.

RE the 60 second delay - we will take a look into this and see what can be done - thanks for flagging all!

Thanks, RAC
    Originally Posted by Hometune;n194867

That instruction you got Motman used to be the same one I got before the changes if I posted too quickly between threads.

I can perhaps understand the 60 second rule between posts as it may cut down on spammers but it’s not needed for just viewing/searching posts.
    Originally Posted by Motman;n194874

I can perhaps understand the 60 second rule between posts as it may cut down on spammers but it’s not needed for just viewing/searching posts.

We will take your feedback away and see what can be done. Thanks, RAC
    Originally Posted by Santa;n194868

For now the easiest way to do it I've found is to vlick on the 'Todays' Post' piece and then open each link you want to read in a new Tab in your browser so you don't have to go back to the 'Todays Post' button.
    Today, when trying to go on the forums, all I get is a message saying "Error fetching forums." So I cannot chose a category to post a new topic. What's going on? Neither do I get the list of categories to reply to existing posts.
    Hi all, more feedback based on the above comments...

The 60 second issue - We have now lowered this to 30 seconds. Thanks for flagging.

In regards to some forums being closed down when others inactive areas haven't - The forum is under going changes and improvements which will span the next 6 months + and it's no where near to completion. We have closed the immediate areas that we felt needed to be closed. Other areas will be reviewed and closed in due course.

Thanks, RAC
    Originally Posted by Snowball;n194883
    Today, when trying to go on the forums, all I get is a message saying "Error fetching forums." So I cannot chose a category to post a new topic. What's going on? Neither do I get the list of categories to reply to existing posts.

Hi Snowball, can you try this again and if it does happen, please screen shot and email to [email protected] with the subject heading - Forum Error. Thank you, RAC
    Originally Posted by lauwilli6;n194884
    Hi all, more feedback based on the above comments...

The 60 second issue - We have now lowered this to 30 seconds. Thanks for flagging.

Thanks, RAC

Apparently not! Still showing 60 seconds for me.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.postimg.cc\/9XJCDNLK\/54739456-4-AAF-4981-A080-1915-A4-EE267-C.jpeg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.postimg.cc\/9XJCDNLK\/54739456-4-AAF-4981-A080-1915-A4-EE267-C.jpeg"}[/IMG2]
    Originally Posted by Motman;n194886

Apparently not! Still showing 69 seconds for me.

Still 60 seconds for me as well
    The “todays post” still needs 60 seconds per refresh for me as well
    Oh, and my photo’s from postimages we’re just not loading despite constant refreshing of the page. I thought they'd put a stop to that method so I tried 3 times and resorted to my old method, which worked. Now I have the same photo three times in one post. Obviously the site is still a bit glitchy.
    Still at 60 seconds between searching for today’s posts. Even searching through my own recent posts it’s 60 seconds. Why? Annoying. The 60 second rule should be purely for new posts. Nothing else.
    Morning all - thanks for highlighting. I will go back to our team and check whats happening and update later.
    Originally Posted by lauwilli6;n194885

Hi Snowball, can you try this again and if it does happen, please screen shot and email to [email protected] with the subject heading - Forum Error. Thank you, RAC

I did forward a screen shot as requested, but so far have not had a response, and the error message is still present. Can only get onto the forum by selecting one of 'Todays posts' that are shown as a column to the right of the screen, and even then not get access to other categories.
    After early misgivings, patient attention finally got me there. I had begun to appreciate the changes, particularly the "Advanced Editor".........and now this!!!
    Hi Snowball, thanks for sending the email. I will follow up with the care team and get the error over to our dev team. Thanks, RAC.
    Hi, lauwilli6, I have just logged out and closed down my Safari, then opened it again and logged back in. It took a couple of attempts because of failure to recognise my details, then I was successful and it was able to access the forum as normal. Will have to wait and see if this was a "one-off" glitch. Regards, Snowball.
    Originally Posted by Snowball;n194895
    Hi, lauwilli6, I have just logged out and closed down my Safari, then opened it again and logged back in. It took a couple of attempts because of failure to recognise my details, then I was successful and it was able to access the forum as normal. Will have to wait and see if this was a "one-off" glitch. Regards, Snowball.

Thanks for letting me know! I will make sure this is fed back. Please let me know if there are any further issues.
    Afternoon all, the 60 second issue should now be sorted for posting and searching. It has been set to 30 seconds. We appreciate your patience while this was being sorted. Enjoy your evening.