Windscreen damage on M4 - coincidence?

I have been driving at 25,000 miles a year plus for the last 20 years or so and have probably been lucky not to have had my windscreen broken for at least 10 years. However, last Friday it was hit by a large stone or similar on the M4 eastbound between Junction 15 and Membury services. It soon started to crack from the impact point. Dissapointed, I put it down to bad luck. I have been searching around to get it replaced but didn't have time before yesterday (Wed 4 June). I was hit by another object hard enough to make a big impact and crack the screen in a different place. This happened westbound between Membury Services and Junction 15!

This may well be a coincidence (and certainly fortunate I hadn't got the screen relaced yet), but it made me wonder whether there were other drivers who had had this happen in this area and, if so, whether something more sinister was going on.

I still feel fairly sure it's a big coincidence...but time will tell.
  • 1 Reply

i think you'll find this is just down to bad luck. working on the breakdown department call center we tend to notice certain trends for call outs. as we have flags for job locations clustering up in the same location (for example, we had a petrol station had incorrect fuel in the pumps having numerous members calling in calls on the roadside with almost identical problems at roughly the same location we found the customer all had been at the same garage, we then contacted shell headoffice to advise of the problem and to shut the station to resolve the problem that was dealt with by a collegue of mine after noticing 4jobs in same locations within 30minutes of the first customer calling to report their fault) to my knowledge of the stones on the roads, nothing like this incident has been noted.