2004 Fiesta - Clutch Issues -URGENT

Picked the above vehicle up from a Ford Main Dealer yesterday evening, it's a Ford Fiesta, 1.25 Zetec LX.

Twice whilst driving, when you depress the clutch to change gear, you hear a click, the clutch pedal then loses all resistance and drops to the floor, you also cannot change gear. If you take your foot off the clutch and try to change gear again, it's fine.

Will be taking it straight back this morning, was just trying to research what the issue might be so that I have some sort of ammo to go back with.

Thanks for your help.

Deepdiver29.
  • 32 Replies

Clutch

Your Vehicle is fitted with a hydraulic clutch system if the pedal is going the floor and not actually engaging the clutch, then the chances are that is a fault on the hydraulic side of the system. Either the slave cylinder or master cylinder. Also on the fiesta's get them to check the master cylinder rod is connected to the pedal correctly.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Re: Fiesta Clutch

My Fiesta Zetec 03 has been having the exact same problem. The first time was a couple of weeks ago & the clutch made a snapping sound as I pushed it to the floor, when I took my foot off the pedal it came back up but when I pushed it down again there was no resistance. After about 5 mins the resistance came back & the car was ok to drive again.
    Luckily my car was booked in for a service with Ford so I mentioned it & asked them to look out for it. Car came back from the service with Ford saying there was nothing wrong with the clutch. However, the very same day I picked it up it did it again...and again...and again until I was scared to drive it anymore.
    Took it back to Ford today & explained the problem again (hence me searching the forum to see if anyone's had a similar issue). Have just heard back from Ford to say that they have made a modification to the clutch pedal. I'm due to pick it up tomorrow so will wait to see if it's resolved!!!
    Would be interested to hear if you have solved your problem & how!
    Re: Fiesta Clutch

Had my car back from the garage yesterday with Ford saying they'd made some modifications to the clutch pedal. Driving to work this morning another snapping sound & no resistance on the clutch. Normally the resistance comes back after a short time but this morning there was nothing. Called my breakdown recovery company who came out & knew the problem straight away. They said it was a common fault & that the cylinder rod wasn't connecting to the pedal. The said that Ford had clipped the rod to the pedal but this clip had come off. The AA replaced the clip & zip tied the pedal to the rod, which they said is what Ford normally do but had failed to do so this time. The clutch is back to working order again but will wait to see if this problem re-occurs!
    :mad: I am taking my '04' Fiesta to Ford tomorrow with the exact same problem (clutch pedal). I have noted your comments (Thanks)

Will keep you informed...

John. :D
    2003 Fiesta Clutch

My clutch failed and is currently in garage having new clutch and then following problems with the garage being unable to get pressure from the pedal a new master cylinder total cost of £600.
    I too had pinging from the pedal for umpteen months (thought it was the cold weather).
    Sounds to me like I didn't really need a new clutch.
    Fiesta / Fusion Clutch

I recognise this problem...

My 04 Fusion does it too. The clutch pedal has a black plastic hinge attached to it, which pushes the master cylinder in. The hinge is attached to the pedal by means of a metal rod. There is usually a clip that holds the hinge onto the rod, but this tends to come off -- the hinge tries to work its way off sideways and it takes the clip with it.

I've been having problems for about a month now. My local non franchised garage told me it was a very common problem. They put 2 clips on and they both came off again within a week. I have now used a cable tie to prevent the lateral movement of the hinge and it seems to be working. Low tech but effective.

There will also be a slight weep from the master cylinder because of a misalignment that results from the hinge not quite being in the right place.

2 things I'm wondering about.

First -- is it something that happens more readily as the clutch wears? My car has done over 40k on the original clutch, some of it in quite hilly urban enviroments so it is probably due a new clutch soon.

Also -- is this subject to a recall or not? I've checked for recalls on the VOSA site but none are mentioned for this fault. Yet the Fiesta forums often mention this fault and modification that Ford dealers will carry out.
    These cars were built without a retaining clip on the clutch pedal to clutch master cylinder, the clip that ford now use is about 0.32p from you local ford dealership. Some cars were subject to Recall as said in earlier post.

I work for RAC and now carry these clips with me as I see a lot of these vehicles
    I have a 2005 ford fiesta with the same problem of hearing a click then the pedal falling to the floor, and then the clutch righting its self again. The first garage told me it was the clutch re setting its self, but it happened again a few weeks later. The ford dealer says it will not be a problem with the clip attaching the clutch to the hydraulic cylinder, as this only applies to older models. They are talking about removing the gear box to look at the clutch. Could this intermittent problem be due to some problem with the hydraulics?
    clutch pedal

i have a fiesta finese 53 plate and yesterday clutch pedal had no resistance in it then about 30 minutes later it came back i couldnt get any gears when there was no resistance im now worried incase it happens when im driving it there was also a clicking cound from the pedal when there was no resistance ......:confused:
    i have a fiesta finese 53 plate and yesterday clutch pedal had no resistance in it then about 30 minutes later it came back i couldnt get any gears when there was no resistance im now worried incase it happens when im driving it there was also a clicking cound from the pedal when there was no resistance ......:confused:

That sounds like the normal problem with these. Quite a simple fix.
    Thought I'd add what happened to me, as this post helped me out.

Fiesta 55 plate.

Clutch fell to floor randomly on pressing it, happened 4 times over 6 drives spanning 40 miles.

RAC called, he immediately knew what the issue was "refitted pushrod from master cylinder to clutch".

Basically get your head right underneath by the pedal, you can see a rod with a loop on the end, and the clutch pedal with a rod sticking out, which connects to that loop. It was just coming off as I pushed down (sometimes) then reconnecting when clutch pedal was released (sometimes).

Quick cable tie to hold the clutch onto that loop, then trip to ford garage for a tiny clip to hold it in place permanently (35p + vat), all done.

Hope this helps.
    i have fiesta and got simler problem the clutch still works fine i think doesnt seem any issuses with it but when i got to change gear its as if im not push ing clutch down and there for carnt find the gears but next time i try to change it is fine then carnt seem to find them again can any one help because it is really a pain to drive now and dont want tio get ripped off for something little if thats all it is thank you
    I've literally had the same problem for the last 2 days, the clutch is popping and then when I lift my foot of the pedal it resets. Although a couple of times its happened when coming to a stop and the car stalled, but kicked back in when clutch reset itself. It would appear it is the same problem as above, well I hope so as I would rather have a £5 bill than a £600 bill. See what the garage says on my way home. Mine is a Fiesta 03 plate so comes within the range everyone is discussing.
    This has happened to my Fiesta LX TDCI (54 plate)....clutch pedal loses tension....straight to the floor....

Followed joefolkes' suggestion above, got my head under the clutch pedal (feet on the parcel shelf - not very pretty), saw the problem....rod sliding back and forth on a metal pin with nothing to stop it falling off the end and promptly tied it with a cable tie to make sure it doesn't move a millimeter....job done and only took 5 mins....no new clutch, no hydraulic leaks....no garage bill.
    The clip had come loose on my clutch pedal also, when it happened to me I was on the motorway and when I couldn't feel any resistance in the pedal I was lucky and managed to pull into the hard shoulder, the RAC fellow sorted it in an instant with a cable tie and said that 9 times out of 10 that would fix the problem and it did, however ever since then I have noticed in the morning that when I pull away from my house and change down into 2nd gear to turn the corner the car just cuts out and stalls, the car would cut out twice inside the first 5 minutes into my journey but after that it would be fine. The car would also stall in the evening when I get in the car to come home from work and can be very scary when pulling away from junctions and going around roundabouts as I know the stall would be due. I am just wondering if the pedal is still faulty or if I have a fuel supply problem but it seems to me that the clutch pedal has a flaw in its design if the clip can come loose.
    I have same problem on my 53 Fiesta Ghia, the push rod comes away from the master cylinder and clutch pedal is disengage, scary when driving. Got clips from Ford but used 2 so far they keep falling off. If I add a cable tie along with the clip where to I place the tie?
    Hi, the RAC fellow put the cable tie on and I didn't see where he put it but I found the website below useful as it shows where to put the cable tie and lists some other common faults with the fiesta, please scroll down the page to CLUTCH PEDAL GOES TO FLOOR and hopefully the picture makes sense. PS I got fed up with the car cutting out on me I traded it in for something more modern, the damn thing even cut out on me whilst driving over the kingston bridge in Glasgow
    , i'm just glad it started back up straight away, anyway, best of luck!!

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/make...-problems.html
    Thank you zstu 1979 fantastic. Must admit had not problems up till now had car from 1 yr old, perhaps I should have hung on to the old Peugeot 205 I have before, run for 16 yrs no probs.
    The clip had come loose on my clutch pedal also, when it happened to me I was on the motorway and when I couldn't feel any resistance in the pedal I was lucky and managed to pull into the hard shoulder, the RAC fellow sorted it in an instant with a cable tie and said that 9 times out of 10 that would fix the problem and it did, however ever since then I have noticed in the morning that when I pull away from my house and change down into 2nd gear to turn the corner the car just cuts out and stalls, the car would cut out twice inside the first 5 minutes into my journey but after that it would be fine. The car would also stall in the evening when I get in the car to come home from work and can be very scary when pulling away from junctions and going around roundabouts as I know the stall would be due. I am just wondering if the pedal is still faulty or if I have a fuel supply problem but it seems to me that the clutch pedal has a flaw in its design if the clip can come loose.
    The cutting out is almost certainly a separate problem.
    Listen to the Rac man. There is a little plastic device under your dash and above your clutch. Mine split which caused my clutch pedal to shoot up and render in inoperative.
    When this plastic device was disconnected and by-passed I had a clutch again but it does rev a little in 1st gear. I am having a new one installed asap btw.
    ???

Having same problem with my clutch on my ford. it pinged the no ability to select a gear, managed to pull over then turned engine off and hazards on. waited and tried again and it worked for 10 mins and managed to get home but cluth went again and now peddle is in highest position not down on floor no gears available at all, son going to hae a look at it before the garage as cant afford to pay out a fortune if i dont need to, so hope he can fix it temp until i can afford to get it fixed by garage.:)
    It sounds as though you have a well-documented problem with the Fiesta clutch. The clutch pedal is connected to the rest of the clutch mechanism by a rod; this rod is prone to disconnecting from the pedal leaving the pedal free. If your son has a look, he should be able to reposition the rod and prevent it disconnecting again with a plastic cable tie. He can of course get a modified clip from a Ford dealer, should be 10s of pence, and fit that; either will cure the problem.
    Good luck.
    I have a 2004 fiesta flame and i have the same problem with my clutch (keeps clicking and coming off the rod) And when i 1st get into my car it ALWAYS cuts out until its warmed up and ive taken it to plenty of garages and connected it to a computer and it says no problem with car!! Someone pls tell me why this happens
    It all depends on what the garages are doing to diagnose this. Do they just look for fault codes? If so, waste of time. They need to be studying the sensor readings from stone cold all the way to hot, particularly the coolant sensor, the oxygen sensors (both of them) and their heater circuits. If all does check out okay there will probably be a software update available from the Ford dealer to eliminate this. But, I stress, all the proper checks must be made first.
    Thanks for this. worked perfectly.

Just want to say this helped me loads and was exactly what was happening to me.

This week my clutch just went. had to buy a tow bar and get my mate to tow me to a garage who in turn contacted me the next day and told me they couldnt find a problem and the clutch was working perfectly. Feeling like an idiot I picked up my car (thankfully the garage didn't charge me) and took it home with no problems. The next day clutch went again at which point I found this forum post and took a look myself and sure enough I found the loop as stated and when I flicked it off the cltuch stopped working. A quick attachment of a 2p plastic tie and the problem has gone away along with the need to take it back to the garage on Monday!

Again thanks for the assist.
    You really would think, that with a problem as well known as this, and as easy to diagnose, all mechanics would be aware of it.

I wonder how many people have paid expensively for a repair that actually took a few minutes to do.
    Ford Fiesta flame clutch

today on my way home from work, my Ford Fiesta flame clutch just stopped working! A car stopped Infront of me so I went to put my foot down on the clutch and break, as I put my foot on the clutch it clicked and became loose! There was no tension on it or anything it was just smoothly moving up and down! I wasn't able to change gear at all untill I stopped!
    I haven't returned to my vehicle yet to try and use it but does anyone know what the problem might be?
    Have you looked at the linkage described above. It sounds as if the pedal is no longer connected to the clutch.
    today on my way home from work, my Ford Fiesta flame clutch just stopped working! A car stopped Infront of me so I went to put my foot down on the clutch and break, as I put my foot on the clutch it clicked and became loose! There was no tension on it or anything it was just smoothly moving up and down! I wasn't able to change gear at all untill I stopped!
    I haven't returned to my vehicle yet to try and use it but does anyone know what the problem might be?

As mentioned before, almost certainly the plastic clutch master cylinder rod has popped off the pedal pin. Very bad design. If you have a look you should be easily able to pop it back on but once they've come off, they keep on coming off. Before these devices came on the market, I used to drill a 1/8" hole in the pedal pin, fit a washer and then use a split pin to stop it coming off. Some do it, some don't - I think it only needs the pedal pin to bend by a couple of degrees for the rod to pop off. See picture below to see what I mean.

To prevent it happening again, forget the cable tie, I'd suggest getting one or other of the devices below. The clips you can buy over the counter at any Ford dealer but get two as one never seems to stay on. An easy DIY fix even for the most mechanically incompetent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIESTA-FUSI.../dp/B00SLH6O1I

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FO...IAAOSwI-BWHiU0