Tailgaters WHY?

Why do people tail gate?
    Is it to get a good look inside my car?
    is it because they dont know what the 2 second gap is?
    is it because they are textin their mates?
    is it because they think by doing it then there may just be a bit more room for one extra car per 100 to squeeze its way on to the road if the gap is less.
    Do they not know what a safe distance is?

am I the only one to get annoyed with them?

I did see a Police car tailgating someone the other day (A38 in Bristol) not a hint of blue light or siren. are they just as bad?
  • 49 Replies

Tailgaters

I hate tailgaters!
    The main reason for tailgating is to intimidate the driver in front of you.
    Unmarked police cars do this to see if you are a nervous driver or if you've something to hide. They also do this to check on your speed as their car laser needs a good surface to "bounce" the signal back to their receiver.
    Other reasons are it makes the driver behind feel that they have power over you by "making" you go faster than you want to thus making driving you uncomfortable. Sometimes I have found that tailgaters flash at you making you think something is wrong with your car, so you either pull in or stop. Then they get some perverted pleasure at having got one over you.
    Something to remember though- the law is on your side if the car behind runs into you. In other words, if you feel the tailgater is getting too close, just touch your brakes a few times to let them know that you CAN stop anytime. This usually does the trick. If the car runs into you it's always their fault as the law says they are too close to the car in front and left insufficient driving space.
    When i say touch your brakes all I mean is sufficient pressure to activate the brake lights, not something to stop your car.
    I agree tailgating is appalling. If you think someone is too close try putting your hazard lights on. It makes them think!:)
    My answer to tailgaters?

Slow right down. I'm not talking 10MPH proportions just mid 20's or so. Then stop at every opportunity. Bus wants to pull out? Fine. Pedestrians wanting to cross road? of course. I have also had instance to put hazard lights on. It worked temporarily but they just then ignored them. I once saw a bumper sticker thing that I have since been looking out for:

Warning - I slow down for Tailgaters!!

:D
    Why do people tail gate?
    is it because they think by doing it then there may just be a bit more room for one extra car per 100 to squeeze its way on to the road if the gap is less.

I did see a Police car tailgating someone the other day (A38 in Bristol) not a hint of blue light or siren. are they just as bad?
    A friend of mine had a very good answer to it. He used to dip his clutch and put the handbrake on if it was at relatively slow speeds. Worked 100%. No brakelights to warn the driver behind, so even less thinking distance!
    if you feel the tailgater is getting too close, just touch your brakes a few times to let them know that you CAN stop anytime. This usually does the trick.

Thanks, tried it and worked a treat, had a car behind me flashing his headlights, was not a police car or unmarked police car so i put brake lights on then they held back:D
    Tailgaters

Wash your windscreen - often!
    Tailgating.

I have never seen a police car tailgating anyone, and I am amazed to learn that such a thing has been witnessed. As has been said, if the following car runs into you, that driver is at fault. How would a police driver explain himself for colliding with the car in front?

In a recent subject on BBC Watchdog, concerning Renault Clio bonnets flying up, when one driver had the need to stop in an emergency the following woman driver finished up by crashing her car. It was reported that the police told her she was lucky to be alive. There was no mention of her driving too close to stop safely.
    Does this indicate a shift in attitude towards the dangerous practice of driving too close to the vehicle in front?
    sudden braking etc

First of all, tailgating is irresponsible, intimidating and dangerous driving behaviour. HOWEVER, I fail to see how deliberate & sudden braking in front of a tailgater is any less so. If you are caught/cause an accident (esp.on the motorway) by behaving in this way, the Police and the DVLA combined can throw the book at you. That's exactly what the "if you hit me its your fault brigade deserve". Let's be honest, how many "brake-light flashers" have been observed in this kind of behaviour defending their own poor lane discipline against other,non-speeding road users?

Yes, ok - often one can illuminate the brake lights by light pedal pressure without actually engaging the footbrake - and often this is what is meant by the old adage "touch your brakes". Misconstrued and/or misapplied, it's dangerous advice and IMHO should not be given. I'm with the whole idea of slowing down in a measured manner. In my experience this gets the message across safely.
    As with any subject on driving discipline, there are two sides to it. I have been tailgaited many times as I am sure we all have. On the other hand, a great many times I have been stuck behind people sitting in the outside lane, with either nothing to overtake inside them, or sitting level with the traffic inside them for miles at a time. I'm sure this happens to everyone. So I ask the same question - why?!

A year or two back there was a campaign where the warning signs on motorways, when not needed to advise of an incident or traffic conditions, reverted to "keep left when not overtaking" which is exactly what the highway code says. So why do people do it? If you get stuck behind one of these you have 3 choices, two of which are breaking the law! A) Tailgate, B) Undertake or C) Sit there like a lemon and wait for them to wake up!

Just as many people refuse to use the inside lane as that's "for slow cars"! Not so, it is the main driving lane and the one you should use when not overtaking.

So yes, tailgaiting bad and dangerous, but so is lane hogging. And I know the next response from the lane hoggers is usually "Ah but when I am in the outside lane I am doing the speed limit so you shouldn't need to go past me". Sorry, but the fact is on all motorways in this country, a hefty proportion of people do more than seventy, so even if I don't want to, I don't want someone doing 90 undertaking into my lane because some dosey idiot is hogging the outside lane at 68!

/rant
    Well said Legionreturns

I used to get cross at tailgaters, but since changing cars (1) I hardly see them and (2) a prominent towbar seems to put them off - can't think why. :o
    Tailgating

Currently tailgating is one of the greatest causes of accidents on our roads, yet in this country it is not a specific offence. Like many other things in the Highway Code it can be used in evedence for another offence like driving without due care and attention, but you willl not be charged or convicted with tailgating so it does not show in statisitcs.
    Excluding those who speed in built-up areas where the speed limit is there for the benefit of pedestrians not motorists, not all speeding motorists are guilty of bad driving.
    Driving at 80 mph or 90 mph on an empty motorway is hardly a danger to anyone, whereas driving at 40 mph or 50 mph tailgating the vehicle in front on any road is. This of course is exacerbated at much higher speeds on dual carriageways and motorways. All to often the reason for an accident is put down to speed when tailgating was the real cause. Rarely does speed alone cause an accident.
    I invite you to add your name to a petition on the “10 Downing Street E-Petitions†website at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/OutlawTailgating/ calling on the government to bring in legislation to make tailgating a specific offence, and to instruct the police to be more active in prosecuting offending drivers.
    Currently tailgating is one of the greatest causes of accidents on our roads, yet in this country it is not a specific offence. Like many other things in the Highway Code it can be used in evedence for another offence like driving without due care and attention, but you willl not be charged or convicted with tailgating so it does not show in statisitcs.
    Excluding those who speed in built-up areas where the speed limit is there for the benefit of pedestrians not motorists, not all speeding motorists are guilty of bad driving.
    Driving at 80 mph or 90 mph on an empty motorway is hardly a danger to anyone, whereas driving at 40 mph or 50 mph tailgating the vehicle in front on any road is. This of course is exacerbated at much higher speeds on dual carriageways and motorways. All to often the reason for an accident is put down to speed when tailgating was the real cause. Rarely does speed alone cause an accident.
    I invite you to add your name to a petition on the “10 Downing Street E-Petitions†website at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/OutlawTailgating/ calling on the government to bring in legislation to make tailgating a specific offence, and to instruct the police to be more active in prosecuting offending drivers.

Hmmmmmm

Three questions:

1. How do we know that "tailgating is one of the greatest causes of accidents on our roads"?

2. How do we know "Driving at 80 mph or 90 mph on an empty motorway is hardly a danger to anyone"? I hope I'm not just being a naysayer, but I frequently drive on the M62 and see a warning "animals loose" - supposing they haven't switched the gantry signs on, or there's a fault?

3. Do you have a simple definition of "tailgating", or is it down to a police officer's discretion?

I think we have enough laws. Enforcement is a different story.
    Hmmmmmm

Three questions:

1. How do we know that "tailgating is one of the greatest causes of accidents on our roads"?

2. How do we know "Driving at 80 mph or 90 mph on an empty motorway is hardly a danger to anyone"? I hope I'm not just being a naysayer, but I frequently drive on the M62 and see a warning "animals loose" - supposing they haven't switched the gantry signs on, or there's a fault?

3. Do you have a simple definition of "tailgating", or is it down to a police officer's discretion?

I think we have enough laws. Enforcement is a different story.

1. Read the multiple articles that you can find on the web and in the media. Even reports from government departments. Try a Google search on the UK if you have an hour or two to spare.

2. The key word is "empty" - animals loose is not exactly empty. "Hardly" was also used!

3. As 1 above, but in particular try reading the Highway Code which is what is used for enhancing a prosicution at the moment. The "2 second rule" has got to be the starting point, but just like speeding there are degrees of offence. It would be up to the governments "experts" to word properly.

If we have enough laws why do morons insist on tailgating etc? Ref enforcing them - you need the law first! Education would be the answer (to everthing) if we weren't blessed with so many morons.
    As with any subject on driving discipline, there are two sides to it. I have been tailgaited many times as I am sure we all have. On the other hand, a great many times I have been stuck behind people sitting in the outside lane, with either nothing to overtake inside them, or sitting level with the traffic inside them for miles at a time. I'm sure this happens to everyone. So I ask the same question - why?!

A year or two back there was a campaign where the warning signs on motorways, when not needed to advise of an incident or traffic conditions, reverted to "keep left when not overtaking" which is exactly what the highway code says. So why do people do it? If you get stuck behind one of these you have 3 choices, two of which are breaking the law! A) Tailgate, B) Undertake or C) Sit there like a lemon and wait for them to wake up!

Just as many people refuse to use the inside lane as that's "for slow cars"! Not so, it is the main driving lane and the one you should use when not overtaking.

So yes, tailgaiting bad and dangerous, but so is lane hogging. And I know the next response from the lane hoggers is usually "Ah but when I am in the outside lane I am doing the speed limit so you shouldn't need to go past me". Sorry, but the fact is on all motorways in this country, a hefty proportion of people do more than seventy, so even if I don't want to, I don't want someone doing 90 undertaking into my lane because some dosey idiot is hogging the outside lane at 68!

/rant

You could not have put better, my thought,s exactly.
    Whats worse, a tailgater, or drivers sitting across 4 lanes of the M25 at 50mph? Often poor/inconsiderate driving causes other road users to feel they need to tailgate to get the idiots to move over.

I'm not saying tailgating is right, I'm just pointing out that on many dual carriageways and motor ways, peoples inability to drive with consideration and sense causes situations like tailgating - although sometime tailgating is purely rude and agressive driving, ie trying to get past someone whos driving at the speed limit on a single carriageway.

There are soooo many people out there who really are iggnorant drivers, I cannot think of anything more annoying then driving for 4 hours and being continually held up by bad drivers, people over taking in the outside lane at less then 60 in a 70 zone, you can sitting there for several miles while they merrily sit there doing their own thing. people undertaking on the inside lane cos of some dimwit sitting in the middle lane talking on his phone drinking his Costa Coffee... then you've got all the immigrants and foreign workers.... driving in london can be hell if you let it get to you.

New laws isnt the answer when theres no way to enforce them, look at how many people still talk on their phone and drive ... I see far too many everyday, police even ignore it sometimes, how the hell are then gonne prove it if they drive past some one in traffic... no chance.

Perhaps everyone should be made to re-take their test every 10 years, or do a refresher test every 5 years or less?
    "That'll never work" - yea, thats what they said about the smoking ban....
    Originally Posted by Legionreturns View Post

/rant

You could not have put better, my thought,s exactly.

Aye, what ^he^ said about what that guys said :D
    Wow I wasn't expecting that! Usually people argue with me instead of vehemently agreeing! Please argue someone! :D
    Wow I wasn't expecting that! Usually people argue with me instead of vehemently agreeing! Please argue someone! :D

Sorry Legion no argument from me. Like you I've experienced both sides of the coin - new laws to be ignored by police just isn't any answer. :cool:
    The only answer to responding to tailgaters is to move over and let them pass, tapping f*****f on the brake lights (which I've been guilty of) does no-one any good, chances are they're not insured any way.
    just move out the way these type drivers tend to be the ones in accidents

problem solved
    Tailgaters

Why do people tail gate?

No they are just bad ignorant drivers, and deserve a 6 month ban.
    Tailgating

For any accident to occur, a number of factors need to come together in the same place & at the same time. These can be divided into unsafe conditions and unsafe actions and a chain reaction like a row of falling dominoes leads to the accident.

A wet road, excessive speed, a tired or destracted driver, loose animals, and bright sunlight washing out brake lights are all examples of unsafe conditions.

vehicles approaching far too close for the speed due to tailgating, & reacting to it by stupidly 'touching the brakes' are all examples of unsafe actions.

When I drive, I try not to let my ego get in the way of preserving my life & wellbeing & that of my family, so as soon as it is safe, I indicate left & get out of the way of the idiot who is flashing his headlights 1 foot from my back bumper. This removes 2 of the pieces in the above row of dominoes and makes the accident impossible.

As for the tailgaters, well publicised & unmarked police camera cars overtaking lorries at 70mph would do the trick.
    IMHO of course....

If you have a tailgater behind you, then its best to get them in front of you asap (without pulling off the road of course).

If they are behaving aggressively, take their number and call the police who [should] put out a broadcast message to all patrols in the area with details of the vehicle, and they [hopefully] will be stopped and questioned as to their driving standards (your name and details will not be given to the driver)...

Again IMHO dont put yourself in danger of either an accident or a road rage incident by tapping brakes or slowing down excessively which could exacerbate the situaltion or cause problems two or three cars back.

Finally once they are passed you, you can go on with enjoying your day and drive with lower blood pressure and less stress.
    i say adjust your speed to how close they are behind you and that will also give them chance to had a tailgater on dual carrage way today once he realised i was in that lane to turn right he stayed back, the idiot
    If I have a tailgater who is causing me concern, I briefly switch on my hazard lights. In most cases this has been successful in getting them to leave a little more distance between vehicles. Failing this, allow the speed to fall off naturally until they either drop back or overtake. I prefer these types to be in front, not behind me.
    A few days ago I was following a large van. On the rear it had a printed sign which read, If I stop, can you?

Some years ago, I met a relative's friend who had a police cap (don't know where he obtained it) and a high visibility vest riding on his rear parcel shelf. He claimed that this display produced quite considerate results at the rear.
    Some years ago, I met a relative's friend who had a police cap (don't know where he obtained it) and a high visibility vest riding on his rear parcel shelf. He claimed that this display produced quite considerate results at the rear.

I would not condone this, as its a bit too close to impersonating a police officer, and could lead to more problems. In my opinion if the police saw someone with a police cap and hi-vis jacket placed in a manner that might mislead a member of the public, then they would probably take action.

What is the next step, vigilanty road traffic stops .....:)
    tailgaters

Personally, I couldn't care less about the ethics of whether or not the person with the police cap on his rear parcel shelf was doing so illegally. It certainly wasn't causing any form of hazard; quite the opposite in fact.
    Compared to what some idiots get up to on the road, it would have to be a "jobsworth" that pulled him in.
    other side of the coin

Why do people tail gate?

unless that is a sarcastic comment then you have compleatly missed the point.
    none of the ones listed (except the second one) ever ammount to anything.

the reason they are tailgateing is because you are blocking the road.
    lane hogging on motorways and doing 45 on single carradgeways is unacceptable. however the morons who do these speeds are convinced that they are totally safe drivers and are so arrogant that they take a hollier than thou attitude toward other drivers.

If they are flashing and tailgateing its because they are telling you to speed up or move over. this is not intimidation because they have no other way to tell you and its not reasonable to expect them to be held up!

of course due to the arrogant hollier than thou attitude of most slow drivers they will never see it this way no matter how many times they are told and how many problems they cause.

also a note about people who slam the breaks on (hard) for tailgaters

you probobly think that they are at fault if you slam the breaks on. this is not technically true. if you deliberatly slam the breaks on you break the chain of causation between their tailgateing and the accident makeing them free of any liability, you on the other hand are liable to harsher punishments than they could have been because you aceted with intent to cause an accident and with deliberate recklessness, this means you are looking at criminal damage and mansalughter if someone dies, not causeing death by dangerous driving which teands to net you a few months in prison, manslaughter which will get you 5-10 years. the only reason you will get away with it in practice (and leave the other person with road law liability) is because it is difficult to prove someone slammed the breaks on with intent to cause an accident
    the reason they are tailgateing is because you are blocking the road.
    lane hogging on motorways and doing 45 on single carradgeways is unacceptable. however the morons who do these speeds are convinced that they are totally safe drivers and are so arrogant that they take a hollier than thou attitude toward other drivers.

ok what about people who tailgate in 30MPH zones when your doing 30MPH can be said for any speed limit zone