Where to stop on way to south of France?

We are going to drive down to near Agde for a holiday. We have a 4 and a half year old and a 20 month old. We have not done the drive through France before so would like some tips on how far to drive once we get off the train in Calais, where we might stop to break the journey for the evening before continuing the next morning.

Any ideas, previous experiences (particularly with child friendly hotels) would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • 3 Replies

i would recommend reading this page about general driving in France and additionnal info about french highways.

i have no idea about child friendly hotels, however would recommend you to avoid the paris area due to the heavy traffic in there and likely congestion.

on the highways you'll find rest areas aplenty.

i know for sure bourgogne is a nice place to eat and drink, must be too for sleeping.

i think any city will provide some nice hotels, including b&b like hotels.

have a good trip
    Vezelay Bourgogne

Hi Mate
    Drove to Magny Cours in 1998 and stayed in Vezelay North of Nevers. The four restaurants were all in competition so the food and wine standard was good and good value. Its about mid-France so might be the farthest you get South. The town has a steep shop-lined cobble stone climb to the local Church where the view is great.
    Enjoy the trip.
    Hi, try Formule 1 motels, very 'cheap and cheerful' but clean and friendly - every major town has one. You can book online from the UK with your credit card, if you arrive after 9pm your credit card goes in the door device to get you in, as reception will be unmanned after this time. If turning up on spec do so before 9pm. They do OK buffet breakfasts. Not the height of luxury, but OK for a cheap night's stopover. Bon Voyage!