The odd one out

Years ago, Sweden changed over from driving on the left, to driving on the right. Except for emergency vehicles, all traffic was banned from the roads on a particular Sunday. All L/H driving road signs were covered up, and the new R/H signs unveiled. On the next day, all traffic became the same as the rest of mainland Europe.

The UK is now the only European country still driving on the left. If we had changed over at the same time as Sweden, would we be better or worse off now? Being EU members, there would certainly be less problems for drivers crossing from either side of the channel.

I believe that there was some consultation about the UK changing over, but I think such a stink was created, and economic disasters were cited, that the matter was shelved. I would imagine that one day the UK will convert, but I wonder how far into the future it will be?
  • 8 Replies

we should not mindlessly follow the rest of europe like sheep in everything
    countries should retain thier identity we have always driven on the left
    and last i checked the £ is kicking the **** out of the Euro and the dollar
    thanks but no thanks we like it as it is
    we should not mindlessly follow the rest of europe like sheep in everything
    countries should retain thier identity we have always driven on the left
    and last i checked the £ is kicking the **** out of the Euro and the dollar
    thanks but no thanks we like it as it is

I understand that driving on the left stems from ancient times, when horse riders passed in this manner so that their swords did not clash, or cut the other fellow or his horse.

Much more important aspects of our heritage, which give us our identity, have been discarded without so much as a whimper. If we are to be part of, and accepted as part of, Europe, then more cross-channel association by ordinary people is a necessity. Hobnobbing dignitaries and town-twinning will not create bonds. And driving on the opposite side of the road deters many people from cross-channel visits.

You only need to study the world stage to realise that the UK cannot sustain itself as a country independent of outside resources. The last thing we should do is to distance ourselves from mainland Europe. At 72 years of age, I would willingly adapt to driving on the right. It would simplify visiting mainland Europe, and that can only be good for us.
    Shouldn't the rest of the world change and drive on the left? :p after all we used to rule most of it.:D
    I understand that driving on the left stems from ancient times, when horse riders passed in this manner so that their swords did not clash, or cut the other fellow or his horse.

Much more important aspects of our heritage, which give us our identity, have been discarded without so much as a whimper. If we are to be part of, and accepted as part of, Europe, then more cross-channel association by ordinary people is a necessity. Hobnobbing dignitaries and town-twinning will not create bonds. And driving on the opposite side of the road deters many people from cross-channel visits.

You only need to study the world stage to realise that the UK cannot sustain itself as a country independent of outside resources. The last thing we should do is to distance ourselves from mainland Europe. At 72 years of age, I would willingly adapt to driving on the right. It would simplify visiting mainland Europe, and that can only be good for us.
    i dont plan on visiting europe and we should pull out of the EU and just trade with the countries there
    I feel sure that I once read that a government minister said that, if driving was changed over to the right, it would be better to wait until all the older drivers had retired from motoring.
    Since the aging of drivers is an ongoing process, I did wonder at the time if there were plans afoot to revoke licences when drivers reached a certain age.
    Sounds daft, but governments are notorious for doing daft things.
    I have always been very cynical about our Governments changing things. They always end up costing me money, and I never see any improvement regarding the cost. I honestly believe that we will continue to drive on the left, until the Government can find a way to make money out of the changeover. I have no doubt that there is a department somewhere working on this now.
    The UK is now the only European country still driving on the left.

Not so. They drive on the left in the Republic of Ireland too.

Years ago my dad's friend was reading some kind of detective book where you had to solve the crime as you went along. He got to a page where the book stated that the UK was the only country to drive on the left so he stopped reading the book at that point. He was from Cork though so was understandably annoyed.
    Ireland (Eire) is embracing the EU at a faster rate than the UK, so will perhaps change over long before we do.