Hire Cars

Hire cars - hands up if you use them! Which are the best / cheapest providers? What positive and negative experiences have you had?

Did you know you can compare prices and arrange car hire through RAC Car Hire? Members and non-Members alike are welcome to save money and hassle!

https://www.racbenefits.co.uk/save-w...r/rac-car-hire
  • 1 Reply

I do occasionally still use hire cars and vans. However, I know the owners of the company I use as we worked together for a number of years previously; consequently I get a very good deal, but he only does cars.
    On one occasion, he could not help me and I phoned around. Avis, Hertz and Europcar tried to quote me an extra £65 a day because I would have to collect from Heathrow Airport. (Something about an Airport tax.)
    As for vans, I have used a number of companies over the years, but one I will not be using again is Keeler's. I found the van I was given to be very poorly maintained, it drank fuel and struggled to cruise at 70 on motorways. Jafvan have opened a place within walking distance, and they quoted £60 a day for a standard Transit-sized van unlimited mileage, and Laser were £55 a day but with a mileage excess over 250miles per day. Both these companies seem to maintain their vehicles properly.