Admit it - how many goes did it take you to pass your test?

For me it was three - thwarted on the first attempted by a rubbish parallel park. Second time, I was foiled by an unmarked crossroad....
  • 52 Replies

For me it was three - thwarted on the first attempted by a rubbish parallel park. Second time, I was foiled by an unmarked crossroad....

First time, but lost my licence less than 3 months later because of an illegal right turn! :(
    Eek. I managed to pick up 3 points on the Sunday after I passed my test on the Thursday for doing 40 in a 30. I've been driving at a steady 30 ever since. ;)
    I passed first time with 3 minors.

It took me 4 days to scratch my parents car and one month to nearly total it.

I haven't had a scratch since (touch wood) and have still not been pulled over by the police... and that's after 11 years of driving.
    2nd time. You know what they say all the best drivers pass on their second attempt! :D First time I had a test after only 5 lessons and for some reason I was so nervous I nearly killed us both because I turned right with oncoming traffic coming the other way!!!! Second time was a breeze after only 2 lessons! ;) A born natural! On another note, did anybody ever have to teach you to drive??? For me it was very natural.
    For me it was definitely not natural but very learned. Think it's something to do with how your brain works - or doesn't as the case may be! I passed first time but has loads of lessons first with a very lovely, calm and encouraging driving instructor. Thankfully didn't have to parallel park either.:)
    I passed first time after 4 driving lessons. I can't beleive the government want people to have to take lessons for a year. What a waste of time and money!
    2nd time. You know what they say all the best drivers pass on their second attempt! :D

Yeah ok !:p

Passed my test to;

drive a car - 1st time.
    drive a tram (Sheffield) - 1st time.
    drive LGV (HGV class 2) - 1st time,
    drive LGV C+E (HGV class 1) - 1st time. :cool:
    I can't beleive the government want people to have to take lessons for a year. What a waste of time and money!

Have you seen how many useless drivers there are out on the roads? It's scary how cr*p some people are behind the wheel. I agree that people having to take lessons for a whole year is a bit extreme.I think the government should make the test MUCH harder! I also think that we should have to re-take our tests every 5 years or so. This would get rid of all those people who gradually become worse drivers, the longer they drive. It could be paid for by our Road Tax, which doesn't seem to be used for much else, if you look at the state of the roads in Lancashire.
    What I really hate is the intimidating behaviour of some drivers. Driving right up close to you because you happen to be doing 30 in a 30 zone and the like - or even worse, dangerously overtaking to get that one car ahead. It's like a big race track for some people. Don't really get that myself.
    Have you seen how many useless drivers there are out on the roads? It's scary how cr*p some people are behind the wheel. I agree that people having to take lessons for a whole year is a bit extreme.I think the government should make the test MUCH harder! I also think that we should have to re-take our tests every 5 years or so. This would get rid of all those people who gradually become worse drivers, the longer they drive. It could be paid for by our Road Tax, which doesn't seem to be used for much else, if you look at the state of the roads in Lancashire.
    I think you're right about the re-tests every few years. But on the other point, I think the bad behaviour by young drivers is probably more to do with attitude than driving skills, so whether you let people loose at 17 or a year later they're still going to want to tare up the roads as soon as there's nobody responsible sat beside them.
    What I really hate is the intimidating behaviour of some drivers. Driving right up close to you because you happen to be doing 30 in a 30 zone and the like - or even worse, dangerously overtaking to get that one car ahead. It's like a big race track for some people. Don't really get that myself.

If you think that's scary, try being at the wheel of a fully laden 44 tonner when they do it to get that one space up.:mad:
    The Roads 4 Real

Sue . driving most days in foul weather , along with a lot of bad drivers .
    If your driving a van and leave a gap , someones going to fill it.
    U should get a few OTIS during the December months to see how things really are .
    Truckers , Orange vans . Yellow vans and Green ones ... and all those reps in their 56's all have time against them so drive accordingly :)
    Sue . driving most days in foul weather , along with a lot of bad drivers .
    If your driving a van and leave a gap , someones going to fill it.
    U should get a few OTIS during the December months to see how things really are .
    Truckers , Orange vans . Yellow vans and Green ones ... and all those reps in their 56's all have time against them so drive accordingly :)
    So how much journey time can you actually save by tailgating the car in front? :confused:
    So how much journey time can you actually save by tailgating the car in front? :confused:

Don't forget about fuel consumption. You must be able to save loads of petrol by getting into another cars slipstream!? :confused:
    passed mine first time but no idea how. i nearly run a kid over on a zebra crossing and she still passed me! :confused:
    First time car (back in early 70's) and first time HGV (mid 80's) but to be honest I reckon I only just scraped through with each test. Not sure I'd even pass third or fourth time around if I ever took them again now it's much harder - soooo many bad habits :o
    first time, after hours of revising and practice in my dads car too, passed 2.5 years ago and its getting tougher!!!
    First time, after 10 lessons. Wife was about the same. ....so how come my son passed on his third after about 50 odd lessons....obviously didnt get the driving genes from us LOL ;-)
    First time, straight onto the old hgv class 1 and psc class 1. 1 week later got my track license .

All this in Germany, BAOR in the army and for free.1970
    1st time in June 1985! Cheers dad!!
    Third Time Lucky

It took me 3 goes to pass my driving test (car) and another 12 years to get 3 points for speeding.:o It's true, they do catch up with you eventually, however fast you try to go. As for the tailgaters, I was trained to drive away from them quickly. But sometimes I can't resist doing the sidelight thing first, for the sake of seeing racerboy panic.....
    Side light thing! i used to (when i was younger) rig up a switch to my brake lights so when i flicked the switch my brake lights came on, good for racing too! made them back off !
    Car 2nd time
    HGV class 3 1st time
    HGV class 1 1st time
    Took me three attempts, after loads of lessons, I passed in 2001

since then two people have driven into the back of me, I've caused no accidents, I've gained no penalty points but been stopped and given producers by the police more times I can remember.

the joys of driving!
    car test second time,(when i got home told wife dont worry i,ll get a three wheeler,came home with a motor bike:) )
    bike test 1st time
    psv 1st time(now bald and busmans belly :D )
    I passed first time TWICE!!!

I did get banned several years ago and had to retake my test. I passed second time in April last year. Now that I've grown up, I still think the driving test in it's current form still does not prepare people for todays roads, having being away from the wheel for 10 years (that wasn't the length of my ban), I wa shocked at the standard of driving around me, without my AA (sorry)instructors car I found that the coccoon of patience and consideration around it had dissappeared. I am not a good driver, but I'm not a dangerous/speeding one anymore either, I consider myself to be safe and aware, the wife and four very precious kids in the back ensures that.

I can't solve the problems on todays roads, but I think that the test should be harder, make pass pluss mandotary, the theory and hazard perception were a step in the right direction, even have several classroom lessons and make the 'probationary' period longer and/or reduce the number of points. Before your 18 you can't buy a beer or a stanley knife but you can pilot a one tonne guided missile and at that age you need to be taught how to respect it because when they collide they make hell of a mess.
    First Time - August 21st 1986 (my mothers birthday) - in Portsmouth

It was a horrible day. Heavy Rain, dark skies and some idiot badly parked and I had to manouvre around.
    Passed 2 time

I've been driving now for 20 years and been a member of RAC for 15!
    I have not been involved in an accident that has been my fault. I have had bumps from other cars running into me because they were too close.
    I should have passed first time in my Morris Marina Estate, it was a present from my parents. However the DOT examiner was himself being examined by another DOT examiner. So he was not going to let anything pass that wasn't 200%. I felt quite intimadated because the examiner examining the examiner was passing comments and scribbling. To an already nervous learner that was sheer terror-Consequently I failed!
    However second time around I was unfortunate to have the same examiner, but passed with flying colours.
    I am proud of my record ......so far.
    Learned to drive on a farm at the age of 10....finally legally hit the roads on my 17th birthday, and passed my test about two months later.....in my fathers MGB GT V8, which gave the examiner something to think about when he saw it....and he never noticed that I only used two gears the whole time due to the nature of the engine.....:) :)