Ford Focus speedo/heater problems

Hi all, seems this fault is quite common amongst focus owners. I have a 1999 focus 1.6 manual, and the heater fan only kicks in at settings 3 and 4. I have replaced the resistor behind the glovebox but this has not solved the problem, both old part and new part were tested by an electrician friend of mine and showed working OK. They both showed no signs of burnout, either.

Also, the speedometer occasionally shows either 0, or flucuates 10mph up and down like its having some sort of fit whilst driving. Obviously, both these faults (particulary the speedo,) are causing some hairy experiences on the road, any suggestions from people who may have solved this fault?

Many thanks in advance
  • 20 Replies

hey there...

i have a 51 reg 1.8, and ive had it for a year. had speedo problems for ages, when it was MOTed last month they replaced the lambur (sp) sensor and this fixed it, but now 3 weeks later my orange engine light is back on and my fan/blower has stopped unless it is on 4

bloody annoying, any ideas!??
    For the check engine light you will need to have the vehicle read for fault codes to assist in diagnosing the fault.As for the heater problem if you do a search there is a thread on here where this was discussed.

HTH
    I have just replaced my heater resistor a few weeks back and it solved the problem with the heater only working on the number 4 now they all work
    how easy is it to do?

ive never changed anything on my car...well maybe a lightbulb or two!
    It only takes about 15 minutes and you will need a philips screwdriver. I took off the glovebox to get into it, you will see it sitting on the passenger side on the right hand side behind glovebox. The one i took off was blue but the one i put on again was black, cost a tenner from ford depot. Its held in place with one screw at the bottom. Hope all that made sense.
    junior
    i'll give it a go sometime, although i may call on you for help!
    I had a similar problem with my Clio, the heater blower kept going on and off all the time, I had to remove the blower motor and clean all the connections on the white connector block and the motor itself, and since then it has been perfect.

Hey Pompeyguy, whereabouts in Pompey are you ? I am in Havant, not far from you.
    Regards
    Sally
    im in havant too sally...

small world
    hi i have a ford focus speedo keeps dropping to 0 and engine is also affected when this happens also stereo goes quiet please help
    hi did you sort out your speedo prob what was it
    i think its the lambur sensor...one was replaced and seemed ok, orange light has come back on now though
    im in havant too sally...

small world

Small world indeed.
    Well, I have had an exciting week, first a close friend of mine died early hours monday morning, then at 3am wednesday morning some ****** smashed the window on my car :mad:

Have had loads of problems with my insurance company, who told me on the phone yesterday morning that I would not have to pay any excess, then at 8.30pm last night the windscreen guy arrived and told me that unless I gave him £60 cash he was going to drive away and leave the window smashed in !!!!!

I certainly will not be using the same insurance company when it is due for renewal in june thats for sure.

Whereabouts in Havant are you then ?
    I am in the, dare I say it, Leigh Park area :( I know I know, someone has got to live there, but as soon as I find me a rich kind man who has got his own house, I am off outta here (he dont even have to be rich, just sweet, kind, and caring) ;) (Does such a man exist I wonder ??????)
    i am also in leigh park...soooo close!

very scary...i had my windscreen replaced last month, also cost £60. but they did tell me that before hand!
    Hello

Hello The Fault With Your Speedo Dropping To Zero Is The Vss Or Vehicle Speed Sensor, You Will Need To Fit A New One, Also Ford Say That This Can Cause Faults With Audio Units Aswell But Have Never Come Across It Myself.
    how much is a vehicle speed sensor and how much to fit roughly...
    hi i have a ford focus speedo keeps dropping to 0 and engine is also affected when this happens also stereo goes quiet please help

With regards to above im having the same prob i have just got a new speed sensor and will have it fited will let you know how i go
    replace speedo

You need to replace the speedo sensor (sits on the gear box) i was having all sorts of probs with my ecu and speedo replaces sensor (brought at ford 26.50) and local mechanic charged me a whole 10 pounds to fit and i have had no probs since (2 weeks)
    I've had that same speedo problem on my 02 Focus Silver for a couple of weeks too. I suspect the drop in the radio volume is just related to the Ford radio's auto volume feature (where it goes louder the faster you go - "AVC" I think is it called or something? Check your handbook, and crank it up one day, it's good fun! Hehe). Anyway, if the speed data being sent to your radio drops immediately from say 70 to zero, the radio will adjust the volume accordingly & suddenly.

I've also come down with the "heater only works on #4" problem today - hence my googling & finding this thread! So hopefully with all yours help, I'll be able to get the two fixed for a lot less money than I feared!

Thanks everyone for posting your info.

Cheers!
    Hi Kindjal,

lol re your comment, I'm having similar problems with my Ford Focus 1.8 manual Zetec 99.

the blower only works on 4 and the speed dial suddenly stops working whilst driving then comes back to life.....especially when you suddenly realise your doing 70MPH in a 50MPH speed limit!

:D

did you find a solution? if so could you please advise?

Also Junior mentioned something regarding a heat sensor - where can i purchase that from?

Thanks

Hi all, seems this fault is quite common amongst focus owners. I have a 1999 focus 1.6 manual, and the heater fan only kicks in at settings 3 and 4. I have replaced the resistor behind the glovebox but this has not solved the problem, both old part and new part were tested by an electrician friend of mine and showed working OK. They both showed no signs of burnout, either.

Also, the speedometer occasionally shows either 0, or flucuates 10mph up and down like its having some sort of fit whilst driving. Obviously, both these faults (particulary the speedo,) are causing some hairy experiences on the road, any suggestions from people who may have solved this fault?

Many thanks in advance
    Faulty Focus heater

Hi everyone. This seems quite a common problem. We have an 02 model and the heater has stopped working, (only done 27000 miles from new.

Anyway. whilst most offers of help pointed to the resistor pack being faulty, for me and probably others, finding it was the most difficult problem. Like many of you I was looking for an oversized relay / box with some wires attached.

What everyone who has offered directions to locate the offending item has failed to say is that it is attached by a single Phillips screw that can easily be obscured by the wiring.

It is to the right of the heater motor unit and fitted into the moulding on the cabin side of the bulkhead, not the motor moulding / housing, so it is not immediately obvious as a removable part.
    Even more difficult to locate in my case as it was Black , just like the moulding. No sign of a Blue or other colour unit as reported by others.

I have yet to get the item tested and if faulty , replaced . If I can \i will try to photograph the unit in situ so as to help others locate it.
    Hope this helps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Photo taken and can email on request.