Ford Focus TDCI warm start problem

My Focus 1.8 TDCI (52, 115k miles) always starts smoothly from cold but when restarting with the engine warm it judders loudly. It generally starts, although a few times it has turned-over but failed to fire on the first attempt. I've had the car for 6 months now and can certaily live with this problem if it doesn't get worse but am wondering if this is a sign of a serious fault that I need to get seen to. Any ideas?
  • 2 Replies

Dual Mass Flywheel

Mine's the same... 04 MK1 focus with 72k on the clock. It's usually OK to start from cold but I get a nasty top engine clattering when I've started it from warm - sounds absolutely aweful. I've been told its a dual mass flywheel problem (DMF). If it gets any worse it can take out your clutch and start motor (allegedly). I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal which is apparently a sign of this also.

Recently I've had the ABS light come on intermittently aswell and issues with cold starts. I'm just hoping it's not related. Hope this helps!

Steve
    I had the same problem at about 90k miles on a 53Reg 1.8TDCi, had to replace the flywheel, clutch and starter motor. Had to do it at Ford as most back street garages didn't seem to know what the issue was, one even blamed the gear box :confused:. It cost about £1200, but the noise has completely gone now 10k later its still gone!

As for the ABS light, not had that issue but on reading the forums there is a lot of talk about batterys not holding charge...?