Need help/tips for buying my first own car

Hi there,

I am looking for my first own car at the moment and I just cant secide which one could be the best.

I already found a Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 Active 5dr 2006 with 73.000 miles for 1.550 and it seems to be in good condition.

The second one is a Renault Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique 3dr 2006 with 90.000miles for 1.400 and seems to be in good condition as well.

Other cars that I might go for could be VW Polo's 1.4 or similar to it.

Budget £2000

Everything over 1.6 liter will be too expensive insurance wise thats why I dont want a 1.6 liter or higher one. I also rather drive a bit quicker so the renault might suit me better.

Can you guys maybe help me a bit and give me some advise for my own first car and what to look out for when i wanna buy one of them? And which would be the better choice? Or if you have other cars in your mind let me know:)

(Don't want any Japanese cars^^)

Thanks guys.

Regards

Nico
  • 5 Replies

Welcome to the site, your question is a difficult one, as you are bound to get conflicting answers from different folk, so the best thing to do is, test drive them both. ...........................It's also a good idea to take someone with you who knows about cars, as there are plenty of dealers out there who are willing to sell you a lemon, or even a dangerous car that shouldn't be on the road, good luck.
    Check the power steering on the Punto - mine was 2006 Active model and it failed...over £1k to fix as well!

When you get to older cars like this condition is the most important thing and where possible records that it has been serviced and looked after well.
    Thanks for the help so far guys.

I also found 2 ford fiestas.

The first one is the ford fiesta 1.4 LX 5dr 2004 around 109.851miles for £999. Looks like its in good condition, also has MOT till 06/2017 and was just serviced at 109.232 miles. Makes a good first impression.

The second one is the ford fiesta 1.4 Flame edition 3dr 2004 with 29.796miles for £1800.

But it is a CAT D, which explains the low miles. Not sure if going for a damaged car is good. I also might be able to get it cheaper because of the damage.

I also found a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4i 16v SXi 5dr 2006 with 100.500 miles for £1650. Looks in condition as well.

The first and third ones miles are a bit high and the second one was damaged.

Which one would you guys go for?
    Don't be scared of the cat D, but find out what the damage actually was - it could have been quite minor and purely cosmetic. Also be sure to get insurance quotes before you commit yourself.
    I go by mileage rather then year, and it's worked out OK for me over the years, as fortunately never had any problems with the cars I've bought, even bought my last three cars on EBay..........................I hope you get a good one.