Audi dealer rip off practices

A good friend who buys and sells a few cars was asked to repair a 2006 Audi A4, 3.0 litre TDi quattro. He does not have diagnostic equipment and the car's owner had been to the local Audi dealer after the engine management light came on.

The dealer's report and health check stated that:
    1. the engine management light was on due to a failure of the intake manifold flaps. Cost to repair - £1,654
    2. the interior alarm monitoring had a fault. Cost to repair - £300+
    3. the front brake discs were corroded. Cost to repair - £300+

The report also stated that both intake manifolds would need to be replaced and that the various components were not available separately (the manifolds, the flaps, the link rods and the motors).

On inspection the drivers side manifold was working perfectly with no play in the system and was set correctly. The passenger side was only partially working due to a fault in the electric motor. A brand new motor was bought separately for £105 + postage. It is simply held with 3 screws on the top of the engine and literally 2 minutes to remove. Once fitted the motor is 'adapted' using the diagnostic equipment which takes around 10 minutes. Job done.

The brakes were inspected and found to be as new - 40,000 mile car serviced by, yes, the Audi dealer. The alarm fault was cleared and has not returned - common issue.

All the various components in the manifold system ARE available separately. However, if you go to the dealer and ask for, say the link rod, you will be told it is not available as a separate item. Once you have the part number and return to the dealer and ask for it this way, he will sell one to you for around £10. Another fine upstanding car dealer then.
  • 6 Replies

No wonder some people call them 'stealers'.
    The problem is that few people ever do anything about these incompetent crooks. To get involved with trading standards would be time consuming and probably lead to nothing anyway. I suppose the owner could put his story on the garage's FB page. That might have more effect, especially if he has documentation to back his experience up.
    Yes that might be an idea. The owner is an elderly man but whether he can be bothered with the hassle of FB or Trading Standards is doubtful. It is always the vulnerable who seem to suffer and from a supposedly premium car manufacturer too makes it worse. All the documentation is available and is where I got the prices from. I do wonder what the service manager would say if this had happened to his parents/grandparents at a BMW or Mercedes dealer?
    If a franchised dealership refused to sell me a component for my car, I would immediately contact the manufacturer's customer service dept.
    I am also an elderly man (80) but if I were being given the run-around I would stir things up a bit - unlike working people, I have the time to set about getting them sorted out.
    Isn't it weird how spare parts for "executive cars" always cost a lot more than for the average car in the road?............................................. .......The young boy racer, who lives across the road from me, just paid two and half times the price, for brake parts for his Honda "R" than the standard Honda?.............................(I think it's an "R" but it's the Sporty version)
    Isn't it weird how spare parts for "executive cars" always cost a lot more than for the average car in the road?............................................. .......The young boy racer, who lives across the road from me, just paid two and half times the price, for brake parts for his Honda "R" than the standard Honda?.............................(I think it's an "R" but it's the Sporty version)

If it's the Type R Honda Civic then the brakes are different from the standard ones which will explain the cost difference.