Driving assessment done now waiting for DVLA again

Some of you may remember back in May the DVLA said I had to have a driving assessment following a head injury in 2012. In May this covered some simple tasks to see if there was anything effecting my brain that may effect driving and an hour driving. I messed up on the actual driving but passed the other tests. So I had to have a few lessons with a driving instructor and resist the driving part of the assessment. I've had a couple of lessons over a few week main things being forward planning and being in right lanes ect, few bits on speed both too fast and too slow and mirrors.

Well today I had my 2nd assessment which my instructor took me for. My instructor was sat in front not saying much and the assessor and occupational therapist was in back. I was a bit nervous for first 10 min or so but after that was fine as I felt it was going well. I stayed out of all bus lanes as that was one of mistakes I made last time. The only part my instructor had in the full assessment was for emergency stop he went through telling me what to do and deciding when to say stop. We had discussed this before and he knew I was confident with it as we had practiced the lesson last week. So he smiled as the assessor mentioned the emergency stop. He had said the week before I had been a bit hard on brake as in wet conditions it could lead to skidding. Luckily today was dry so I decided not to risk being too slow and just brake how I normally would even if it was hard. No problems with that. The reading signs bit was easy as the assessor told me the direction as well. Think I took one wrong turn but didn't effect anything so didn't matter. Back at the assessment centre I was asked to reverse bay park which I did fine. My instructor got me to do this as we got there so maybe he knew they would get me to do it. Not sure if that could of effected the result or not.

Well now it's back to waiting for DVLA to decide if I get my licence back which my instructor says he's never known them not to give licence back after assessor recommends it. My instructor has asked me to let him know when I hear from DVLA and if I want an hour with him sat in my car for me to get used to it again. I think I will probably have him sit in to start with even if it's just for sake of it after he's helped me through it all and wants to hear what DVLA say.
  • 2 Replies

I hope the assessment went well for you, Marie and if it has, think you are wise to have your instructor give you that little bit of additional help when you get the okay - it'll give you confidence.
    Well done Marie, your confidence is coming back big time, good luck and well done again.