DVLA Perform Again

I scrapped my last car in early December. I sent off the scrappage section of the Registration Document with a claim for 'unused' road tax. I received the cheque late December. Today I received the Tax Disc Reminder. Last time this happened I had to be very assertive with three debt collection agencies they set on me. I really don't understand how they can be so incompetent.
  • 12 Replies

Blimey, Rolebama, they haven't wasted time starting off the New Year with a muck up!
    Rolebama, Did you get a receipt when you sent the scrappage doc? If not, have you asked for it?

On another website there is a long series of problems with this, where people have been fined by magistrates for failing to inform the DVLA. This is one of many: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...x-car-scrapped
    i sent all the relevant paperwork with the claim form for road tax refund in the same envelope. I have received the cheque for rebate, so it is very difficult to accept they didn't receive the relevant part of the Registration Document, completed by the scrappage company, and the Certificate of Destruction.
    Snowball, to me, the DVLA have incompetence down to a fine art. My wife noticed that my Reminder to get a tax disc has my name spelt wrongly on it. Yet it was spelt correctly on the Registration Document. How do they manage it??????
    Quote....."I really don't understand how they can be so incompetent."
    Probably because they have had years of experience, and as civil servants they know they can't be sacked for making **** ups?:confused:
    Rolebama, you must understand that it is very difficult for these girls to type correctly whilst their fingernails are drying!;)
    Reminds me of an issue I had when hubby died. Amongst his possessions was a non-rolling (but could have been made so) chassis, engine and gear box of his old Alfa. He had the logbook. So, being an honest soul, I sent all the necessary (after having had a long discussion with DVLA beforehand) to change the registered keeper for his vehicles to my name. Two came back with no glitches but the Alfa parts caused an issue. Despite all the paperwork being correct, it appears that the car was not listed on their database under my late husband and they'd put the car reg. no. up for sale. Thankfully, this arose before Probate and my friendly solicitor was on the ball. To cut long story short, Probate was held up for 7 months before DVLA would accept that the parts of the car and the logbook had belonged to my husband and it was DVLA was at fault. A double whammy for DVLA because they had to refund the chap who'd innocently bought the reg. no. and pay compensation to both of us. I lost a sale - in discussion when my husband died - but eventually got a much better offer. Low and behold, when the paperwork went back to change registered keepers on the sale, the mess started again. So DVLA, despite having boobed and having to pay out taxpayers' money, still hadn't sorted it out. Friendly solicitor called and this time we took legal action against DVLA; immediate response and all sorted, plus my costs paid.

Yet, on other occasions, DVLA staff very helpful.
    2001 my wife bought a new car. The documents came back wrongly made out so they went back. The next set were wrong and were sent back. Then another set arrived all wrong and all different mistakes. So back they went this written on them "4/10 must try harder" The next set arrived correct.
    I wonder if they are trying the old adage about a million monkeys and a million typewrites and Shakespeare? I suppose if they try enough times, they are bound to get something right.
    It is easy for us to criticize an organisation like the DVLA, and while some may be justified, I do think that consideration should be given to the complexity of the operation.

There are 5½ thousand people working in the Swansea offices and they deal with a wide variety of responsibilities. Given the vast amount of post that they must get each day, and given that the vast majority of the staff will be at or near the minimum wage, and probably part time, it is not surprising that there are mistakes in transcription. I have never seen them at work, although I have been there, but I am willing to bet that there is considerable pressure applied to speed the path of documents through the system. Perhaps the wonder is, how much they get right. Few will say anything when their documents are handled correctly and speedily, but we all moan when it goes wrong.

I think that the one thing that they could do to reduce dissatisfaction, would be to deal with errors better. It is very frustrating to find that, having returned incorrect documents, they still get it wrong. These cases should be passed through a separate system of scrutiny to ensure that these repeated errors do not happen.
    When we had Local offices, there would be X amount of people working there, and it was reasonable to assume that most of them wanted the job, and were capable of doing it. With centralization, and employing thousands, how many of those people actually 'want' that job, as opposed to being unemployed, and how many are capable. To me the chances of a good percentage falling into those categories is very low. We had a new supermarket open up, and ads went out for a hundred and fifty jobs. There were over ten thousand applicants, of whom a good percentage were sent by the Jobcentres just to get a form filled in.
    Quote......."There are 5½ thousand people working in the Swansea offices"

Aye! and around 200 of them know what they are doing?
    ;) Every time I have had to deal with them, they have made a **** up of the job?:confused:
    When I visited Swansea once, I asked someone "How many work there at DVLA" and got the reply "About half of them"