Bit of a dilemma!!

Many of you will have read about the problem with Bambi and friends inhabiting our small neighbourhood. (For those who don't Bambi is a red deer stag weighing in about 22 stone and with 2.5 foot long antlers.) Well Bambi got a fright yesterday and in galloping off dented the wing of neighbour's car on their drive. Most of the damage has pulled out.

But it's sent all of us who keep our vehicles on private driveways/parking areas diving off to check motor and buildings/contents insurances to find out whether - in the event of the whole herd (now a half dozen ladies plus a rival stag showing interest) stampeding and damaging our vehicles - we'd have any cover and none of us have yet found the answer! (But I can claim for damage to my dry stane dykes caused by deer which is a relief!)

The obvious solution is for each of us to contact our respective insurance companies and ask but would that be opening a can of worms? The neighbour whose car was hit and I both have issues already because none of our vehicles or our houses can be seen from the highway - I have a 70m driveway and his is 1100m but they think in terms of short drives in front of a house on a normal road!

We have reported the situation with the deer to both Police and Deer Commission representative several times the last few months but the legal shooting of the animals - there are very strict rules about this in residential areas and rightly - are preventing a cull. Apart from cost - eek! we are not allowed to put up deer-fencing as we're a conservation area (another reason most of us don't have garages to put our cars in!).

So what would you do? Alert the insurance co. to the situation and a likely hike in premiums or let it ride and hope Bambi and rival stag don't have a fight come the rut?
  • 13 Replies

Aye! FJ, I think if you contact your insurance company you will be "opening a can of worms" as you mentioned. and you can expect a hike in your policy?

As that is not is not one of the many questions they normally ask when you take out a policy, good luck.
    ;)
    I am not sure if this is any use: http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Deer-Out-of-Your-Yard

Apart from human hair, they suggest mothballs, fox urine and an electric fence among other things:)

Some good suggestions here too http://www.instructables.com/answers...en-without-a-/
    Santa - will have a look tomorrow evening - on first aid duty during day at agricultural show and dreading it - horses and bloddy minded sheep - give me cows and pigs any day!

Smudger - you have summarised our fears!
    Oh Deer

Go up to the deer and say to him:

"Calm Down deer"

Who owns the deer, or is he a free spirit?

Do not alert the insurance company.

Get some lion dung from a zoo or a Safaari park (Longleat for example) and deposit that around the property, that may discourage the deer from venturing on to your property.
    Install a Cattle grid on your drive:(
    Santa - have had a look at those links and thank you - have passed them on to all my neighbours as well. Essentially we don't want to cull the beasts; we already know that this is not possible as well as is for the majority whether for planning/legal reasons and/or affordability deer fencing is not on. However I can assure folks - if they don't have a standard "garden" a dog; CDs etc. don't deter this lot! Lion poo we would need in commercial quantities - one guy supplies it locally so we're onto to him.

Dennis - what can one say? Quite apart from the logistical issues - these deer can and do just jump over cattle grids with ease.
    Quote........"these deer can and do just jump over cattle grids with ease."

I saw a clip on TV, where the sheep were "rolling over" a cattle grid, an Australian sheep farmer filmed them doing and it was picked up by the local news station. :D
    Smudger - my mate has sheep teaching their lambs to get over a cattle grid!
    Just a thought, but it might be worth approaching a Wildlife Park or Zoo to get some of the urine-soaked straw from a big cat's cage. I remember seeing a prog on TV where they showed that even our wildlife recognizes the danger of a big cat in the area.
    Just a thought, but it might be worth approaching a Wildlife Park or Zoo to get some of the urine-soaked straw from a big cat's cage. I remember seeing a prog on TV where they showed that even our wildlife recognizes the danger of a big cat in the area.

Old Spice After shave may work equally well ..:cool:
    Could be quite a challenge, that!
    A few years ago, in France, there was a circus in the big market square at St Caste. I had wandered around the cages (wouldn't be allowed in the UK) and came up against two Bengal Tigers stretched out in their cage in the warm sunshine. One had its paw up against the bars, and I touched the paw with my finger. Amazingly soft - like brown jacket leather.
    BUT - to approach the cage I was literally choking on the strong stench of urine which had leaked from the cage and onto the ground.
    If you pursue the suggestion, FJ, you had better equip yourself with some serious masking facility. It was 'Yuk!' at a throat-strangling level!!!

Hmm! Expensive solution though a novel one! (Nearest wildlife place/zoo with big cats is over four hours away.) And could I cope with the lingering smell?
    Snowball, I went up to Whipsnade Zoo a few years ago with my daughters. It was a 'grey' day outside of school holidays, and the place was relatively empty. They had a Tiger laid out on steel trestle table affairs anaesthatized for work on one of it's canines. The Keepers invited us to stroke it, and hold its paws etc. Just like a domestic cat, when I rubbed its throat, it stretched out its neck and started to purr.

A friend used to get tiger's whiskers from there to use to paint the coachlines on various scale vehicle models he used to make.