Changes to the driving test.

I’ve just got in after a meal out with two of my friends and our wives. Both are driving instructors and they were telling me about the biggest change to the driving test in years is starting on Dec 4th. Amongst other things, they are doing away with three point turns and reversing round corners and replacing it with parking on the opposite side of the road and pulling in to a perpendicular parking space. Also, 20 minutes of the test will include following instructions on a satnav and the learner will be asked to do things such as turn on the heater, open the windows, operate the wipers/washers etc. Also, learner drivers accompanied by an ADI driving instructor (but not a regular driver) will be allowed on motorways. Interesting times starting from Dec 4th but there is a national srike of driving examiners planned for Dec 4th and 5th!
  • 3 Replies

They all sound like good changes to me. Apart from in my driving test, I can't remember ever having to reverse around a corner in such a deliberate manner. As for three-point turns, yes I'm sure we all have to do these from time to time, but not by engaging the handbrake every time you stop.
    Oh! God, I remember the reversing around a junction all right, it was part of my advanced driving test, back in 1986........................................You had to keep both hands on the steering wheel, and “crink” you’re neck right round?..........................It really hurt, in fact, I think I pulled a muscle as it was really sore for a few weeks afterwards!......................................T he examiner opens his door, and watches, if you get more than 6” away from the kerb, you failed?.......................................I remember thinking at the time, just how pointless that all was, and definetly not worth the weeks of pain🙄.................................When the examiner got into the car, he doesn’t sit in the car as normal, he turned round, using the door to support his back, and spent the whole two hours, watching me, and every move I make?
    They all sound like good changes to me. Apart from in my driving test, I can't remember ever having to reverse around a corner in such a deliberate manner. As for three-point turns, yes I'm sure we all have to do these from time to time, but not by engaging the handbrake every time you stop.

The point about "reversing to the left" as the DVSA call it is not that it's a manoeuvre you'll necessarily need often, but that it tests for reasonable accuracy in reversing, and for all the necessary observations and precautions. It's easier to find a corner to use for this than it is to find a suitable car park; indeed, many test centres have no access to a car park at all.

It is not an absolute requirement to apply the handbrake at each stop in a turn in the road, but it is a very sensible routine for a learner since the car will be on a slope more often than not.