Turning into multi-lane road - which lane?

Hello,

I drove for many years in Canada before moving to the UK. I took some lessons and passed my UK test recently. I had a question for my instructor and I'm still not sure I believe his answer (he was vague on some things and occasionally wrong on a couple of points - not the best instructor).

In Canada, when turning left (remember, this is like a right turn in the UK) at a junction, it is the law to turn into the lane closest to the centre of the road (e.g. left/passing lane), then move over to the right (driving/non-overtaking/"slow") lane using normal lane-change rules. This allows people coming the opposite way to turn right into the right-hand lane. My UK instructor insisted that I should always turn into the farthest left lane, no matter how many lanes there are in the road that I'm turning in to. This seems illogical and perhaps dangerous to me, as it feels like I'm turning and cutting across multiple lanes in one manouvre. I'd also have to give way to oncoming traffic turning left, even if the right lanes were empty. However I can't find a definitive answer. Does anyone here know if there's a law to follow in this situation, or if not, what are your thoughts on best practice?

I hope this makes sense. I have a diagram to illustrate the Canadian situation, but I can't find a way to include it.

Thanks,
    Jen
  • 1 Reply

The general rule is to keep to the left: all lanes other than lane 1 are for overtaking or turning right (Highway Code rules 137, 138, 160).

If there is conflicting traffic (i.e. turning left from the opposite direction) then they have priority and you should wait.