B+E Test

Hi guys

I'm new here so my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong category.

I've found myself in a situation where I need to do my B+E (Car and Trailer) test, and was asking for people to speak from experience having done this test perhaps , whether training is necessary?

The test itself is over £100 and I've had experience towing/reversing trailers- and obviously I know how to drive a car. So I'm not seeing what I will gain from "B+E Lessons"? I remember my Driving Test quite clearly so I'm sure I can throw in all the mirror checks and signals that examiners require when we're on the road part of the test.

Many Thanks
  • 4 Replies

Here is a description from a farmer who had to take the test (even though his 80yo granny didn't):

The first part of the test involves a reversing manoeuvre. If you’ve had plenty of corn-cart experience this will seem pretty Mickey Mouse stuff. Just back yourself into a make-believe garage without hitting any cones or straying outside the lines.

Next is a 50-minute road route. Mine took in a motorway section, a one-way system and a few rural lanes. You’ll also have to pull over a couple of times and show that you can do a hill start without rolling, but it’s all run-of-the-mill stuff.

Once that’s done you just have to demonstrate that you are capable of coupling/uncoupling the trailer. It’s a simple case of remembering a routine.

The scoring is done just like a car test. That means you can amass up to 15 minors before you fail the test. However, commit one major fault and it’s game over.

I passed, but over the years I’ve seen several confident, competent friends fail the test, so it’s not as easy as it might seem. The pass rate for 2011/12 was 64.5%, which is up by almost 7% since 2008.

Think about the trailer you are going to use. In my experience, very short (luggage) trailers are the hardest. It helps a lot if you can see it in your mirrors too. Make sure that you have the correct mirrors properly adjusted. Make doubly sure that all the lights work, including reversing and fog if fitted. I take it that reversing round a corner into a parking space is no problem for you.
    Ah! reversing with trailers, when I used to own one of them Load Luggers, I used to have to reverse into some right tight spaces, when delivering furniture and stuff..............................I simply had to make a good job of it, as the folk would come out to help me unload it, while I was reversing it into their drives,.................................Mind you, it was a double axle one, which is lot easier to reverse.
    You may already be aware of this, but you can't just roll up with any old trailer for the test. There are strict spec. and load requirements: https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/c...practical-test which have caused lots of problems for instructors.
    To be honest, I wasn't aware of the rules about trailers. I know that trailers for the HGV test have to be loaded these days, but I didn't know that it applied to the B+E test as well.

It does make sense though.

When I did my Class one (now the C+E) test, I was driving a tractor unit with a simple six speed gearbox and a short wheelbase, and towing an empty flatbed trailer. Going from that to a complex gearbox, a three axle unit and a 45' trailer grossing at 40 tonnes was an eye-opener.