Whos at fault?

On a mock test....I left a roundabout onto a 40mph road i was doin 37-38mph as road was wet and from the momment i left the roundabout a van was right behind me within less than 3meters i would say and i was approaching traffic lights to turn left they were on green so i eased of gas for abit and left it as late as i could before braking as he was still right behind me and obviously when i had to break for the turn he slammed his on and i got an instant fail my instructor said i would of failed on a real test surely this is a major fault in the testing system anyone else had things like this happen on tests whats your opinion?.
  • 5 Replies

Because, to take account of the van, you should have slowed even earlier than maybe you normally would have and signalled in good time, thus giving him no reason to 'slam his on'.

As a general rule, if someone is too close behind for comfort, you should ease off a little - he will either get the hint and drop back, or overtake. Either way you win.

I don't understand why your instructor didn't explain this.
    Apologies if this is duplicated - my first attempt seems to have disappeared into the depths of this VERY unreliable forum.

I imagine your instructor thought you approached the junction too fast and/or braked too late. However, the underlying cause was that you let the driver behind dictate your actions.

You say you saw the van was MUCH too close as soon as you entered the road - you should have taken action then.

As for a fault in the system? It's a fact of life that other road users do stupid or dangerous things. As drivers we have to deal with it safely, whether on test or later.
    ye i know what your saying, i did ease off the gas and my speed dropped to around 28-30mph before i needed to brake and he was still straight behind me so i dont know what else i could of done really
    If there hadn't been the van close behind, would you have reduced your speed earlier?
    i started to reduce my speed once i knew i had a turn coming up and because the van was so close i thought he would drop back