I joined the AA last week....

As I have just changed my motorbike insurance for both bikes I have lost the included UK recovery so I looked about for something to cover not just me on the bikes, but the family as well. I got a family roadside and recovery policy which will cover four of us in/on any vehicle. We have three cars and two bikes between us. Ok. the Evoque is covered by Land Rover until October so not really needed for that as if needed, I'll get their dedicated unit out. The cost for family membership - £169 and as I bought it through a cashback site, I get £72.14 back so cost to me of less than a hundred quid. Considered the RAC but the horror stories on here have put me off slightly - I've no doubt that the AA forum will equally put me off but what the eye don't see and all that! Also, I have had good personal experience with the AA in the past. Had an RAC policy for two years and never needed to use it but the renewal price was just stupid so I cancelled. Plus, I need a joint travel policy (the AA is one I have had before as they cover medical and repatriation due to motorcycle accidents on my 1300 cc bike - most others only cover you on bikes not exceeding 150cc) and I will buy my one-week bike European bike recovery policy through them and get discounts on both as an existing member. Like all insurance policies, I just hope I never need to use them!
  • 12 Replies

Like any other insurance, we all hope we won't need it and the only way we really test it is when we are stuck on the side of the road in the pouring rain somewhere.

When I read some of the horror stories (and I bet the AA have just as many) I do wonder how much of the 'horror' was self inflicted. People not understanding how it works, or being rude and aggressive on the phone.
    Well, looks like one of us is getting our money's worth already! Son's just phoned me as his car blew a hose on his way in to work tonight. AA have been out, can't fix it so they are towing it here for me to sort out. At least it's saved me that aggro, this time of the night. No doubt he'll need to borrow ours to get back to work with. Kids!
    I used to be innthe AA many years ago, when I was working away from home,mas I used to do a lot of miles back then........................ .............But with the mileage I do these days, it's not worth buying road side assistance.................... .........If I was to join one, it would be Green Flag as they are a lot cheaper,......................... .........................The bloke across the road is with them, and he was on a long run down to Cornwall for a family funeral.................. .........He drives a big Audi, and it broke down miles from anywhere, about 50 miles from Cornwall?............ ................He got assistance from them just about half an hour after the phoned them!........ .........................They got him back in the road very quickly, it was a hose that had burst, but luckily the bloke had one already in his van, now thats
    Well, the AA patrol towed him to here and then run him back to work afterwards. I've just looked at it and it's just a top hose that's split so I'll sort that tomorrow. Probably won't get paid for even the parts - just a "Cheers, Dad!" Just as well it went now - he's going to Wales in it next weekend.

Now, do I join up to the AA forum and make my first post a 'Thanks for a great service from patrolman xxx' post? 😂
    Years ago I changed to Green Flag. being a member of the Caravan Club, I get 'double journey cover'. This means that, if we were on our way to a caravan site and broke down, our outfit would be towed to that site where we could set up for our holiday and, if the vehicle could not be repaired in time, our outfit and ourselves would then be taken back home at the end of the holiday. Last year the subscription was £70.50.
    Years ago I changed to Green Flag. being a member of the Caravan Club, I get 'double journey cover'. This means that, if we were on our way to a caravan site and broke down, our outfit would be towed to that site where we could set up for our holiday and, if the vehicle could not be repaired in time, our outfit and ourselves would then be taken back home at the end of the holiday. Last year the subscription was £70.50.

This sounds like an excellent service as a breakdown on holiday could otherwise ruin the holiday, or else result in expensive hire costs. I wonder if they are reasonable regarding the return tow, or if you have to present proof that it couldn't be fixed in time etc?
    A couple of years ago when I had breakdown cover with my motorcycles, I got knocked off and had to be taken to hospital for X-rays etc. My ins company got the AA out. He came to the hospital to get my keys off of me, went to the accident site and picked up my bike, took it to my house and put it away in the garage for me. That's what I call service.
    I wonder if that would happen these days?.............I very much doubt it?
    Well, looks like my son has not entirely gotten away with it. Replacing the top hose and filling with antifreeze has cured the leak and it runs fine but when staring the car after it's been switched off for several hours, it runs rough for ten seconds or so. If the radiator cap is released slowly after a run and then left off while the vehicle cools down, it starts fine which makes me think that pressurised water is getting into the cylinder when it is switched off. So, my planned weeks holiday at home doing a bit of decorating has turned into a possible few days of aggro as I now have to go in and strip a ti-vct cylinder head off. Grrr!
    This sounds like an excellent service as a breakdown on holiday could otherwise ruin the holiday, or else result in expensive hire costs. I wonder if they are reasonable regarding the return tow, or if you have to present proof that it couldn't be fixed in time etc?
    After a 300 mile run to Cornwall (now over 12 years ago) I arrived a bit tired and, after siting our caravan, went to the local garage to top up the nearly empty tank. The idea was to freshen up with a walk on the cliff paths. But I went and put in petrol instead of diesel, and spotted my mistake when I'd put in about 5 gallons.
    We pushed the car off the pumps (not starting the engine) and called Green Flag. They took me back to our campsite. Fortunately, the site owner was also a heating engineer and he loaned me two jerrycans so that I could syphon my tank virtually dry by removing the sender unit. The Green flag man said he would come back next day (Monday) if I was not successful. The cost that a garage would have charged was in the region of £100, which was more than enough encouragement to go for DIY.
    The biggest problem was getting rid of the drained off mixture of diesel and petrol.
    Whilst trying to get rid of this fuel - the recycling depot would not take it - I went to the Redruth fire station to get advice. there was "nobody home" but a mechanic in the ambulance garage next door told me to tip it in a 40-gallon drum they kept in a safe storage cabinet. Apparently this was a problem that happened regularly with the ambulances.
    Well, looks like my son has not entirely gotten away with it. Replacing the top hose and filling with antifreeze has cured the leak and it runs fine but when staring the car after it's been switched off for several hours, it runs rough for ten seconds or so. If the radiator cap is released slowly after a run and then left off while the vehicle cools down, it starts fine which makes me think that pressurised water is getting into the cylinder when it is switched off. So, my planned weeks holiday at home doing a bit of decorating has turned into a possible few days of aggro as I now have to go in and strip a ti-vct cylinder head off. Grrr!

What a job! So many pipes and electrical connections. Anyway, job finally done. The cylinder head had warped by 0.007" so skimmed flat. Put it all back together and it started first time. Not only that, I had no mystery nuts and bolts left over! Took me about 10 hours in all so I told my son he owes me 10 hours work and I'll have them in my final years when he will be feeding me with a spoon and wiping my bum. Lol.
    What a job! So many pipes and electrical connections. Anyway, job finally done. The cylinder head had warped by 0.007" so skimmed flat. Put it all back together and it started first time. Not only that, I had no mystery nuts and bolts left over! Took me about 10 hours in all so I told my son he owes me 10 hours work and I'll have them in my final years when he will be feeding me with a spoon and wiping my bum. Lol.

You think? When you finally fail your MOT he will park you somewhere and let the weeds grow under your wheels.