We are more reliant on our cars than ever before.

We are more reliant on our cars than ever before. Our findings showsthat there are now more drivers, more cars and more traffic, yet less road space than 20 years ago, leading to a surge in congestion. Do you drive more now than you have previously? Come and let us know here.
  • 3 Replies

I am currently driving about 7,000 'leisure' miles a year as opposed to the 25,000 I was doing in '88. Partly due to the cost of fuel, but mostly because the increased congestion, to me, makes driving a chore. Most of the congestion I see is caused by daft road layouts as well as thoughtless drivers gridlocking junctions.
    Congestion

I agree with Rolebama. Most of todays congestion is caused by bad road planning in the name of "Safety" and "Green Issues". By restricting traffic flow with bus only, cycle lanes, hatched areas and two plus lanes, they are creating congestion and have the cheek to ask us to pay for it! My own town has about 60% of the roads shut in the centre compared with 1988 with bus only and pedestrianised areas. We are now having certain roads made wider and work done to ease congestion. Basically putting things back as they were.Guess what? the council changed to a non Labour council to get these changes.
    I use my car less now that 20 years ago because of a complete change of family circumstances. However my dependence on a car hasn't changed - I still live in a rural area with little or no public transport and what there is is likely to be cut back because it is subsidized to survive.

One of the greatest failings of the one size fits all mentality is that there are people who genuinely need a vehicle regardless of where they live. And that those people have a huge variety of incomes. A £200 hike on VED, on top of some of the most expensive fuel in the country and no supermarket cheap prices, for an essential vehicle when one works part-time and is a carer for someone for whom my car is adapted is simply not viable. I need a car to work given public transport availability; visually and mobility impaired parent needs my car and has blue badge, and my vehicle is converted to LPG. Help - get on your bike comes to mind!:mad: