Noise limit

Hello everyone,

At the moment I am driving a Renault Clio MK2 1.2L 16V 2003 and today I have replaced the original back box due to corrosion with a 3inch Hoffmann back box. After fitting it the first time I started the car up again with the new back box I instantly thought this is way to loud even on idle. I let the car idle a while to make sure the exhaust paste settles in before going out to drive it. Came back with no problems however I am wondering if it is to loud for the legal limit if there is? this is why I am reaching out to you guys to help me find out about the noise limit of a car on UK public roads. If you could help me out and tell me the current law as I don't want to get any points. All your help will be much appreciated thanks.
  • 5 Replies

The relevant law is the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 54(2), which states "Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases. "

I have no first-hand experience of this, but I believe that if the noise is such as to attract the attention of the police, then fitting a non-OE part would be considered an illegal alteration.
    Why anyone wants to shatter the peace beats me, but they do seem to get away with it or Hoffman would go out of business. I just hope you don't live near me.
    Well, the MOT rules are as follows:

"A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition."

I think you already know that it's going to draw attention to you though.

Many years ago in my youth, I, in common with my mates, removed the rear silencers of our cars and replaced them with just a pipe. I got nicked. I can still remember the exact wording of the offence. "Failing to maintain an exhaust system". I got fined £15. Probably more, plus points, these days.
    Aye! the boy racers around here like to modify their exhausts so that sound like rally cars, or formula one racers?..........................It's quite funny really, to hear them coming, and then all you see is a clapped out VW with a go faster stripe, and it's bumpers about two incense from the ground, sounding like 650cc Norton
    Clearly Low Self Esteem Issues.

Less is more, But only us Mature ones can grasp that