astra g blocked breather ?

i have a 20001 astra 1.4 16v ecotec , when topping up the oil there was too much pressure under the oil filler cap when i removed it , i suspected a blocked breather and so removed the cam cover to find a badly blocked breather ( the big one at the right hand side of the engine ) i have cleaned what i can from the rocker cover and have left it to soak and will try and blow any remaining crud through with the airline , the short rubber right angled hose is now clean but i am left with the chocked metal pipe that runs down the right side of the engine , i don't want to try and clean this from the top end incase i just push lots of muck back down it
    does anyone know where the other end of this pipe goes as i can't see where it goes ?
    i take it it goes down to the bottom of the block or to the sump ?
    is the bottom end removeable? if it's not will i just have to remove what i can and repeat the process over the next few months until all the gunk has worked it's way up ( i'll be changing the oil several times too

thanks
  • 13 Replies

It fits onto the sump. If you cannot get it off use a piece of wire like a coat hanger and pour some carb cleaner/brake cleaner down the tube and push/pull to dislodge the sludge. Then if you change the oil it will remove it. I think from memory a new tube is around £20.
    thanks for the reply , i was a bit reluctant to risk pushing some of the sludge back down into the sump but it is of a grease consistency so i suppose once warmed up it will come out when i change the oil , would ideally like to take off the pipe to clean it properly though , i'll have another look tomorrow and see if i can see the other end of it

thanks
    after finally finding and fixing my electrical problems ( replacement ecu) i think my car's goosed ! i managed to clear the breathers including the large one that goes from the cam cover down the right hand side of the engine to the sump , i tried to not push down any more of the crud than i had to but it was very badly blocked , i managed to clean the cam cover and blow it clear with the air line
    i got a service kit delivered and only needed to get oil for the first oil change so i headed along to get some oil and i saw my oil light flicker on and off , i just thought it was maybe a bit of crud blocking the oil pick up momentarily so i continued , it did it again and i instantly switched off the ignition and coasted to the side of the road , i waited a few minutes and carried on and the light came on again , this time i noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine , a friend towed me home and i changed the oil but the noise is just the same and the oil light is still flicking on and off now and then , the ticking is definately coming from the top of the engine , is my car buggered ?

cheers
    No, the ticking will most likely be a blocked or lazy hydraulic tappet. There isn't enough oil getting to the top of the engine by the sound of it.
    Ideally, remove the sump and clean the pick up pipe and filter gauze. Then do an oil flush with either a special flushing oil or an additive in the old oil. Then replace the filter and fill with nice clean oil. The tappet should settle down once the oil gets back into it.
    thanks, you've given me some hope, any particular oil flush you'd recommend ?
    also i've never had a sump off before, do the gaskets always need replacing ?

cheers
    I'd say use a new gasket to be on the safe side.

I usually use a flush additive that you just add to the old oil before you drain it. Various company's do it such as STP, Wynn's etc.
    thanks again

i've got some forte motor flush and went tomy vauxhall dealer for a new gasket only to find that there's no gasket just sealant , bought the vauxhall stuff and will tackle the job when my backs a bit better and allows me to roll around under the car , should i anticipate any problems with the sump bolts ? are they likely to be seized and shear off do you think ?

thanks again
    No. All straight forward.
    thanks , i'll let you know how i get on and if it solves my problems

cheers
    just an update for everyone kind enough to have offered advice

i removed the sump and spent literally hours cleaning it as it was extremely dirty , over an inch of gunk at the bottom and the pick up was so blocked i couldn't even blow through it !
    used the wifes best pan scourers to remove all the baked on stuff and got the sump spotless which was actually quite satisfying , assembled it all back together using the vauxhall sump sealant and left it 24hrs , filled up with new oil , filter and the motor flush , idled the car for 30mins , drained off the oil , changed the filter and added decent oil
    at first there was still a slight tapping coming from the top of the engine but the oil light hasn't come back on and the tapping has now completely gone ( as called by hometune ) , chuffed to bits and after seeing the results of poor servicing on my part and stop/start city driving i'm now taking the bus to work and will be changing the oil very regularly from now on

thank you all very much for your help
    hay sorry to interupt but i have this blockage too but my engine aint ruuning at all ,could this craop stop the enginge running. thanks hope for a reply
    Clean all the **** out as above. It can cause stalling if its bad. You have to remove it anyway so give it a go.
    thank you sorry i didnt read this one before i replyed in the other post lol silly me thanks for ur help ill drop the sump an change that pipe as i cant see were it goes at the moment .