No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a valid m.o.t advisory?

Hello All - a newbie's first post here

My car went through it's MOT today - it passed (yay). When I left the car with the garage this morning, I mentioned that I had seen the ad hoc appearance of the ABS warning light, and that it stays on for a few seconds before disappearing.This was purely to give the tester a heads up in case they see it during the test, and that it could be fixed afterwards (given that it's a fail if it appears and stays on during the test).

However, on getting the test certificate, there is an advisory which states, and I quote: "(owner said he has a ABS warning light coming on intermittently. Not on at time of mot)".

I have emailed the garage to query this because I don't understand how something that was not experienced or seen by the tester, and did not happen during the test, could be mentioned as an advisory. My thinking is that this should not be treated as an advisory - would that be correct?

Backstory: I took the car under warranty to the dealer last month when the ABS warning light issue first happened. They say they replaced the ABS sensor under warranty, yet the day I get it back from them, the warning light comes up again. The dealer and the tester are one and the same business, so it feels like someone is covering their back. The warranty expires at the end of November.

Any advice, thoughts or opinion will be gratefully received.

Originally posted by absolutely80s View Post
    Any advice, thoughts or opinion will be gratefully received.
    Don't worry about it and forget about it. The car passed.

Now get back to the dealer and get the ABS warning light sorted

Comment

Originally posted by alan1302 View Post

Don't worry about it and forget about it. The car passed.

Now get back to the dealer and get the ABS warning light sorted
      Yes, absolutely. However, if I plan to sell on or trade in the car in the meantime, this will have an effect on valuation...

it it seems to be that the dealer is trying to string things out to the end of the warranty period, given they believe they fixed the issue last tine round. I’ve said they haven’t, they say they can’t find a problem. Where do I stand in that scenario? Report them to Ford?

Comment

Yes, absolutely. However, if I plan to sell on or trade in the car in the meantime, this will have an effect on valuation...

it it seems to be that the dealer is trying to string things out to the end of the warranty period, given they believe they fixed the issue last tine round. I’ve said they haven’t, they say they can’t find a problem. Where do I stand in that scenario? Report them to Ford?
        Won't affect valuation

Comment

How long have you had the car?
          How old is it?
          When did the ABS fault first appear?
          Did you take it back immediately for repair?
          How many times have they tried to fix it?
          What sort of warranty do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Hometune View Post
            How long have you had the car?
            How old is it?
            When did the ABS fault first appear?
            Did you take it back immediately for repair?
            How many times have they tried to fix it?
            What sort of warranty do you have?
            Car owned since Dec 18

ABS warning light first appeared about a month ago. Always appears in tandem with traction warning lamp, then goes off after a few seconds.

Reported it to dealer under warranty immediately. I took it in for repair at the first available booking I was offered.

Once. they said it was a sensor issue, replaced it, but it recurred immediately i got it back.

ford protect warranty valid to 30 November this year.

Comment

Won't affect valuation
              Really? Internet consensus appears to be that any advisories which aren’t resolved before sale may be viewed negatively by potential buyers, be it trade p/x or private.

Comment

I neglected to add that, since the sensor was replaced, there is now also a very ad hoc sound of metal from beneath the car, almost like the sound of going over a loose manhole cover, despite there being none on the road at the time it happens. Again, it’s ad hoc, and it doesn’t always follow the warning lights appearing.

I’ll be taking it to an independent garage tomorrow for an examination, see if they can find what the dealer obviously can’t.

Comment

I neglected to add that, since the sensor was replaced, there is now also a very ad hoc sound of metal from beneath the car, almost like the sound of going over a loose manhole cover, despite there being none on the road at the time it happens. Again, it’s ad hoc, and it doesn’t always follow the warning lights appearing.

I’ll be taking it to an independent garage tomorrow for an examination, see if they can find what the dealer obviously can’t.
                  Update: local independent garage questioned why the tester added the ABS comment when the issue was not experienced during the test. This vindicates the thought I expressed in my OP. Anyway, they are going to do an hour's labour on it tomorrow to see what they can find (plus change one tyre). Chap I spoke with speculated an ABS system issue after I described the metallic clang-like sound I heard. He thinks that's ABS trying to kick in (under normal circumstances, you don't hear anything). The lurch could also be a wheel lock which then prompts the ABS activation. Regarding the original dealer, he has heard negative feedback about their post-sales track record insofar as they tend to try to absolve themselves of upholding (as far as possible) the warranty. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what they find. If nothing major or expensive, I will have them fix it without delay, because Ford can't see me until next Wednesday. If it's something ominous or pricey, then I look forward to showing the dealer the results of what a third party could find but they could not.

Comment

It sounds as though the dealer plugged his machine into the car, read the fault code(s) and simply changed the sensor without any proper testing. He should have separated the fault from an electrical one or a mechanical one. If electrical then the wiring from the sensor to the ABS module must be checked - this is common for bad connections or broken wires. A resistance check of the sensor may also help - simply compare with the one on the opposite wheel. If mechanical the air gap, the rotor for damage etc. The fault code description points you as to which it might be.
                    A road test should find this. With the diagnostic computer connected and set to live data with all four ABS sensors on the screen, the operator can watch the readings. As soon as one shows a different reading from the others, even if momentarily, it should be investigated.
                    Actuator operations can be done using the computer so the valves in the ABS pump can be checked independently without removing it.
                    It is important to check the driveshafts for damage, suspension parts for movement , wheel bearings for wear (very important) as any movement here can upset the system.
                    I would get on to Ford Customer Services UK as time is running out although it should be remembered that a new part comes with 12 months warranty so if the new sensor is at fault even out of the warranty period, it should be replaced free of charge. Be careful what the independent garage does as having them replace parts may void the warranty so check the small print. If they cannot find the problem take it to a Bosch Service garage who will likely sort it for you. They have garages across the country - https://www.boschcarservice.com/gb/e...orkshop_search

Comment

It sounds as though the dealer plugged his machine into the car, read the fault code(s) and simply changed the sensor without any proper testing. He should have separated the fault from an electrical one or a mechanical one. If electrical then the wiring from the sensor to the ABS module must be checked - this is common for bad connections or broken wires. A resistance check of the sensor may also help - simply compare with the one on the opposite wheel. If mechanical the air gap, the rotor for damage etc. The fault code description points you as to which it might be.
                      A road test should find this. With the diagnostic computer connected and set to live data with all four ABS sensors on the screen, the operator can watch the readings. As soon as one shows a different reading from the others, even if momentarily, it should be investigated.
                      Actuator operations can be done using the computer so the valves in the ABS pump can be checked independently without removing it.
                      It is important to check the driveshafts for damage, suspension parts for movement , wheel bearings for wear (very important) as any movement here can upset the system.
                      I would get on to Ford Customer Services UK as time is running out although it should be remembered that a new part comes with 12 months warranty so if the new sensor is at fault even out of the warranty period, it should be replaced free of charge. Be careful what the independent garage does as having them replace parts may void the warranty so check the small print. If they cannot find the problem take it to a Bosch Service garage who will likely sort it for you. They have garages across the country - https://www.boschcarservice.com/gb/e...orkshop_search
                      Good to know, and yes I agree, I don't intend to authorise any work to be done by the independent garage regarding this issue (unless it's quick, cheap and effective) precisely because of the warranty. However, the warranty is ultimately a moot point from a long term perspective, as I am now pending a p/x deal for this within the next week, and I have been advised that the Ford Protect warranty isn't transferrable to another dealer/trader.

I've taken note of your technical pointers, that could prove invaluable. Cheers!

Comment

Really? Internet consensus appears to be that any advisories which aren’t resolved before sale may be viewed negatively by potential buyers, be it trade p/x or private.
                        Would depend on what the advisory was...but you are getting yours sorted out so nothing to worry about.

Comment

Would depend on what the advisory was...but you are getting yours sorted out so nothing to worry about.
                          I am "trying" to get the ABS issue sorted, but per my earlier comments, I am encountering dealer intransigence head of p/x'ing the car, hence my concern.

Comment

The advisory does seem very strange to me. Motman on here must have missed this as he is the font of all knowledge re MOTs. You can report the MOT to DVSA if you feel annoyed enough. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...n-about-an-mot

Comment

The advisory does seem very strange to me. Motman on here must have missed this as he is the font of all knowledge re MOTs. You can report the MOT to DVSA if you feel annoyed enough. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...n-about-an-mot
                              I know, but having spoken with DVSA this morning, they said that testers are free to add whatever advisories they wish if they feel it relevant. Yes, hearing that did annoy me, but unless somebody can tell me definitively that shouldn’t have happened, I have to move on from that aspect of what’s going on. Right now, I want to get the car fixed, realise decent value from it, and move on. I really appreciate your comments!

Comment

Working...
                              X