Why is it soo hard to get a tradesman who can do what you ask them to do ?

A few years ago my father got a so called 'tile fitter' to put down some ceramic tiles on his kitchen floor, They were neither level or straight when he finished, His reasons when I question him was the the longest wall in the kitchen 'ran out'. When I measured the distance between the longest walls they were just 6mm difference from end to end.

Now he has commissioned someone to re-lay the driveway and yet another that does not do what has been asked.

Why is it soo hard to find someone in the UK that can actually do a good job rather than just talk a good job?
  • 10 Replies

Aye! I know what you mean, we had a bloke in fitting radiators recently, and I got there just in time.

As he was about to leave a large area of the old wall showing, rather than move the radiator 18 inches to the right?

The new radiator was a lot smaller then the one he took out...he says "I thought you wouldn't like to see the cooper pipes along the wall"

I says, I would rather see the pipes than look at a big area of the expensive wall lining stuff;)
    I had just enough left over to cover the smaller area he left.
    In my younger days, everything was DIY. Now I am getting on a bit, some things have to be farmed out; such as extreme physical effort or ladder-climbing.
    But I do have reservations when a tradesman has to be allowed on the premises.

If a tradesman's opening comment is "Durr!", then you've got a problem.:D
    The annoying thing is that he was told exactly what was wanted and is now doing the entire opposite to what was asked for.

When questioned why the drive was going to have steps in it he replied "you do not understand landscaping" -- No, but ,I know it was flat before and I've never seen a driveway for a car where the car needs to have stair climbing capabilities.
    Mr Danno, ask the tradesman if his insurance will cover anyone who trips and falls whilst walking on the drive. Advise your dad, unless he gets a statement to that effect he (your dad) will have to cough up for any injuries caused.
    My neighbour had a new fitted kitchen. We just wondered what it was supposed to fit!? There were tapering gaps at either end of one of the floor-standing units where it was so misaligned.
    As to the original question, I will only use tradesmen who I have had recommended, and after examining their previous work.
    Quote.."We just wondered what it was supposed to fit!?"

I have fitted 3 kitchens in the past (DIY) and in with all the kit were these tapered pegs?

I soon figured out what they were for, as one of the houses where I fitted one, never had a flat floor or a plumb wall in it!:confused:

They were there to combat that problem, just as well they were, it was a pig to fit:eek:;)
    Kitchens now are soo well designed with adjustable legs and wall hanging brackets, The hardest part is cutting the work surfaces for the invisible joins.

The problem with all these things is the 'tradesmen' just want to crash the job out and get paid.
    Looks like the garage trade is not on its own... The minority do a good job, the rest are unprintable...
    Quote.."The hardest part is cutting the work surfaces for the invisible joins."

Aye! there is a special Jig you can hire to solve that problem. It leaves such a tight finish, its hard to even see the join;)
    Aye! there is a special Jig you can hire to solve that problem. It leaves such a tight finish, its hard to even see the join;)

Yes but, the hire ones are usually damaged by people pulling the router out while its still spinning.

They look great when done properly like this.