Rover 25 Central Locking (Or Not)

Hello the central locking on my friends car has given up wonder if anyone has experienced this before, the problem is as follows

The car has the rover standard issue alarm / central locking fob however this now only seems to activate the alarm, the central locking is not working off the fob and the car has to be undone woth the key.

When you use the key to unlock either door the central locking still does not function and each door needs to be unlocked induvidually

Help
  • 18 Replies

Hi

First thing to do would be to check the relevant fuses.
    Central locking

Have checked the basic's but I'm now stuck was kind of hoping someone may have experienced a similar or same problem as it could be locking solanoid or control module all of which are relatively expensive and I dont want to start replacing them on the off chance
    Have you definetely checked all the fuses because according to my information there are four to check in the engine compartment fusebox check fuse link 1 which is rated at 150amps,check fuse 5 which is rated at 15 amps,check fuse link 3 which is rated 40 amps and in the passenger compartment fusebox check fuse 26 which is rated 15 amps.
    re central locking

4 fuses? if the 150 amp one blows nothing would work and the fuse mentioned under the dashboard is for elec rear windows if fitted. i have the same problem on my rover. alarm works central locking doesnt. according to handbook they share the same fuse so im guessing its the control box but dont know how to prove it without getting another one.
    rover 25 C/L

Hi, This must be a common fault because I have just bought a 25 for the wife and it is exactly the same. Have tried the fuses but nothing. Does anyone have an answer or is the dealership and large outlay for me???
    alarm fault

hi i have a problem with my alarm when i lock it alarm activates but after a few minutes it goes of constantly does anyone now what the problem is i av replaced the bonnet switch but that made no difference and the oxygen sensors were changed could that be the problem if anyone has ad problems like this and sorted it coiuld u let me no many thanx
    rover 25 alarm fault

my dad as same problems rover 25 alarm keeps going off when locked
    could it be the key fob at fault

i am going to contact http://www.remotekey.co.uk/
    hes great he reprogrammed my key fob before and he also mends ecu boxs from rover he in sutton coldfield i am going to ring him ask if he nos the problem with the alarmm main dealer in swindon are a waste off time
    Rover 25 Central Locking problem

Hi Guys, I need a little bit of help here.
    I bought a rover 25, central locking works great if I use the remote. But inside the car if I lock the drivers door, it only locks that door. Is it not supposed to lock all the doors in the car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, I unlock the car with the remote and then once in the car, I manually lock each one of the doors by hand. :(
    Hi Guys, I need a little bit of help here.
    I bought a rover 25, central locking works great if I use the remote. But inside the car if I lock the drivers door, it only locks that door. Is it not supposed to lock all the doors in the car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

At the moment, I unlock the car with the remote and then once in the car, I manually lock each one of the doors by hand. :(

Perfectly normal happens on all rovers some safety feature built in I believe:)
    That a releif to hear, but how do I get it back to normal though.
    Some of the rover range had a lock/unlock button on the dashboard to lock all the doors in the car while you was in it. If it does not have this button you can only manualy lock each door while in the car:)
    I just read the manual and it says that all the doors can be locked and unlocked manually except the drivers door. if you lock the drivers door it should lock all doors.
    As a safety feature, its not a very good one. If I unlock the door with the remote all the doors unlock, which means anyone can get into the car from any side. After I am in the car, I should be able to lock all the doors with the drivers door, otherwise there really is no point in having central locking.

I beleive there is a safety feature in some cars that only unlocks the drivers door with the remote, stopping people from "hiding" and jumping into passenger side with a gun or something.

There must be something wrong inside the door that is stopping the drivers door from locking the rest. or maybe something has been de-activated somehow.

Thanks for the quick response though. I hope I can figure it out..
    Hello the central locking on my friends car has given up wonder if anyone has experienced this before, the problem is as follows

The car has the rover standard issue alarm / central locking fob however this now only seems to activate the alarm, the central locking is not working off the fob and the car has to be undone woth the key.

When you use the key to unlock either door the central locking still does not function and each door needs to be unlocked induvidually

Help

Hi, did you get anywhere with this problem?
    I have a 25 and the fob will not open the doors central locking. I can get in to the drivers side using the key but cannot open the passenger side, even from the inside.
    When I drive off the central locking does activate and locks the driver door again. I then have to open the driver door manually to get back out of the car!

What is going on??? Anyone???
    with the older rovers the central locking was linked to the drivers door lock ... thus if you unlocked the passanger door lock the other doors would remain locked... open drivers door all doors unlock.. i belive the fault would lie with the drivers door lock unit... prob a broken wire in the boot where the door hinges or faulty motor unit..... the missing link wire ;)
    Thanks Mo.
    However its only two year old (probably manufactured in 05) there is no lock on the passenger side which is damn annoying as we all have to pile in at the driver side.
    I find it strange that it locks (by itself as it should) when you hit 5mph so the mechanism does work to lock the car and the fob will also lock the car but not open it.
    I am at a loss!
    rover 25 locking problem

i have the same problem with the door locking on my rover, key fob does alarm but not doors etc. when this first happened i also lost the use of the rear wiper, i found all the wires had cut through going into the boot. can see this by taking the rubber boot off at the top of the hatch, one sie is wiring other is rear washer, all were cut and i had to rewire it all. this done i still have the problem with the locking, think it may have blown the control box but i doubt these are cheap so will live with it for now. other problem i have found is reversing lights not working think the switch has gone but not sure how to replace it. any ideas?
    4 fuses? if the 150 amp one blows nothing would work and the fuse mentioned under the dashboard is for elec rear windows if fitted. i have the same problem on my rover. alarm works central locking doesnt. according to handbook they share the same fuse so im guessing its the control box but dont know how to prove it without getting another one.
    Hi Guys,
    has anyone found a cure for the central locking issue. I currently have the same problem where the keyfob activates the alarm but not the central locking.
    Rover 25 Central Locking

OK, just fixed mine. Here's what I did. As already said, check the cables where they go through from the car into the boot. The cables go through a rubber tube at the top right by the hinge, hose for wash wipe goes through the left hand one. I found several of the cables damaged and shorting out, which in turn blew something other than the 15a fuse in the engine compartment as the immobiliser still operated and is on the same supply.

Once the cable were repaired, locate the control unit for the central locking. It is behind the fuses on the drivers side, under the dashboard. It is above the accelerator pedal and is held in place by two 10mm plastic nuts. It is a black box about 6" by 4" with a white label on, mine had a large letter D on the label, made by Lucas.

Disconnect and remove the unit - unplug. Warning it is a swine to get to. Take all the obvious safety precautions like disconnecting the battery first (did mine without, but I'm not taking the blame if you short or blow something)

With the unit out, undo the plastic clips holding it together. Open up and remove the circuit board. On mine one of the tracks had blown apart due to switching with a short circuit. Solder the track back together. Reassemble.

My wife's car is now fully working, total job time for everything was about 3 hours, but be warned, it is a pig to get to the unit. I did drop the fuse board down and unplug a few cables to help.

Here is a link to the box you are looking for so you can see what it looks like.
    http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/rover/rover-25/faq.asp

Hope this helps.
    Dave