Speed cameras

Hi everyone first time going throw leeds taking my brothers gf home and because ive never been to the area im now abit concerned about the speed cameras never saw any flash or owt but am i just over thinking cos throw most was 40 mph any advice please and also i phoned up dvla and nothing on system and wudent it go on straight away thanks
  • 31 Replies

You will just have to wait and see.

An NIP (notice of intended prosecution) has to be served on the registered keeper (who is not necessarily the driver) of the car within 14 days of the offence.

If no NIP is sent to the registered keeper within that time, you have grounds to appeal it (only if one eventually comes of course). You can look up some similar threads on here, plus countless legal websites.

Note that if you were driving someone else's car, there is no time limit for you to receive the NIP, as long as the registered keeper received it within the 14 days.

Being unfamiliar with the area does not constitute mitigating circumstances.
    I once got chatting to the driver of a police patrol car when we were positioned next to each other on a car park. During conversation, I asked him what he thought of speed cameras. His reply was that he, "found them distracting". If they can be distracting to a police driver, what does that say for we lesser mortals?
    The only sure way is to develop a strategy to always observe the statutory speed limits. This can be difficult in places due to long stretches of road not marked with repeater signs.
    We frequently travel the Fosse way between Lutterworth and Stow, then on towards Andover in Hampshire. Outside the towns and villages, the rural roads have sections varying between 50mph and 60mph, with long stretches without any repeater signs. But the mobile speed camera warning are fairly regular. It does make me wonder why these signs cannot include the speed limit. The only answer is to remember the last speed limit sign you saw, and stick to it until you see another.
    The Fosse Way in this area has regular signs saying it is a high risk route, with the number of victims over various periods of time. So you would expect very regular speed limit signs as well, wouldn't you?
    Most satnavs, even bog standard cheap ones, give you the speed limits for ever section of road you are on, subject of course to any variation of these for temporary roadworks or similar. So they can pay for themselves.... Far cheaper than a fine and points! Go get one!
    But as any experienced driver will tell you, police included, when you are in an unfamiliar area, use extra caution and stick to national speed limits, and if in doubt, err on the cautious side.
    Most satnavs, even bog standard cheap ones, give you the speed limits for ever section of road you are on, subject of course to any variation of these for temporary roadworks or similar. So they can pay for themselves.... Far cheaper than a fine and points! Go get one!
    But as any experienced driver will tell you, police included, when you are in an unfamiliar area, use extra caution and stick to national speed limits, and if in doubt, err on the cautious side.

I have to disagree.

Even if the satnavs were foolproof - and they aren't - the OP would be better advised to keep his eyes on the road and look out for the signs. Over time, he may also find that his general observation skills improve.
    With respect. You've completely misinterpreted my post Beelzebub.!

I wasn't for one minute saying that RELYING on a satnav for speed limits was preferable to driving properly. Like most drivers I know my local area like the back of my hand. I know the speed limits and stick to them. I also know that mobile detector vans are prolific in the Tyne and Wear area, and look like maintenance vehicles complete with orange beacons, so as to not be as noticeable

Probably one reason that I've held a clean licence for over 50 years, hold IAM passes for HGV, Motorcycle and Car driving, have covered well over 3,000,000 miles (Yes... You read that right), all over Europe as a commercial driver.

Never had points, and never had a speeding fine or even a parking ticket. Careful, considerate and lawful driving. It's easy really. It never fails to amaze me how drivers scream around on the roads risking their licences and possibly even their livelihoods once they lose that licence.

Thats not a boast. It's fact. So I think my view is worth having. You obviously don't. Doesn't bother me though if I'm honest. You just didn't read the post properly.

No.... The point I made, was that in an UNFAMILIAR area, it is incumbent on EVERY DRIVER including the op to take extra care, and if he thought he was speeding, then clearly he should have stuck to 30 mph unless he knew differently. And that's where a satnav, showing the speed limit MAY have helped him. Presumably his brothers girlfriend navigated him to her destination..... But after that he would have been in an unfamiliar area, so an indication of limits would have aided him.

Thanks.
    With respect. You've completely misinterpreted my post Beelzebub.!

I wasn't for one minute saying that RELYING on a satnav for speed limits was preferable to driving properly. Like most drivers I know my local area like the back of my hand. I know the speed limits and stick to them. I also know that mobile detector vans are prolific in the Tyne and Wear area, and look like maintenance vehicles complete with orange beacons, so as to not be as noticeable

Probably one reason that I've held a clean licence for over 50 years, hold IAM passes for HGV, Motorcycle and Car driving, have covered well over 3,000,000 miles (Yes... You read that right), all over Europe as a commercial driver.

Never had points, and never had a speeding fine or even a parking ticket. Careful, considerate and lawful driving. It's easy really. It never fails to amaze me how drivers scream around on the roads risking their licences and possibly even their livelihoods once they lose that licence.

Thats not a boast. It's fact. So I think my view is worth having. You obviously don't. Doesn't bother me though if I'm honest. You just didn't read the post properly.

No.... The point I made, was that in an UNFAMILIAR area, it is incumbent on EVERY DRIVER including the op to take extra care, and if he thought he was speeding, then clearly he should have stuck to 30 mph unless he knew differently. And that's where a satnav, showing the speed limit MAY have helped him. Presumably his brothers girlfriend navigated him to her destination..... But after that he would have been in an unfamiliar area, so an indication of limits would have aided him.

Thanks.

Sorry if I misunderstood. I'd agree with all of your latest post, except perhaps for the last paragraph.

The implication of taking extra care in unfamilar areas is that familiar areas need less care. That breeds complacency, and there are statistics which seem to show that a disproportionate number of accidents occur within a few miles of the driver's home.

You will also find many reports on the web where a driver has been caught after failing to notice a changed speed limit on a familiar road, usually in spite of the large red warning signs.
    No worries, and yes, most accidents DO take place near home, so we always drive very defensively these days.
    Healthy debate
    Even after updating the maps, I have still found the speed limit indicated by the satnav to be wrong on occasions. Tamworth is one such place - the satnav showing 40mph when the real limit has been 30mph for yonks, and is by no means an isolated instance.
    Yep. Our very expensive Garmin STILL shows the A1 at 40mph through the Angel of the North to Tyne crossing section. It's been 50mph since the roadworks finished last June.
    Hopefully when we get our new car this year, the built in Amundsen device will be more up to date.
    Being fairly new to satnavs, I frequently check the display on mine against the poster limit and so far I cannot fault it. Even temporary limits are correct and I am amazed at how fast the display changes as the limit does. The device is built in to the car and I do wonder if, apart from the information it gets from GPS and the built-in maps, it also scans the speed limit signs.
    it also scans the speed limit signs.

Very unlikely - as far as I know no sat nav does that.
    I don't hold much faith in sat navs myself, although I can see the argument for using them. But if a driver gets into the habit of looking at it, he will start relying on it if not careful, which could lead to him driving in an unsafe manner or getting a ticket.

I try to keep a track of the limits in unfamiliar areas. If I am unsure, there is normally a repeater sign in fairly short order. Failing that, I err on the side of caution.
    Very unlikely - as far as I know no sat nav does that.

It seems that the Titanium Fords with the Driver Assistance Pack do:

The clever windscreen camera in the Focus (another feature of the £1,050 Driver Assistance Pack) can also scan signs and display the speed limit on the dash. So the driver can assess how recent the data is, the sign fades the further away it gets from the camera.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fo...gn-recognition

I have never noticed the fading thing though.
    That's very interesting to know. Never seen that before but can see it would be a useful addition to a Sat Nav. A company could also limit the top speed of your car to whatever the limit is as well using that.
    As far as I am aware, the satnavs built into cars used the same software technology as that of the satnav manufacturers. I am trying to understand how the camera would pick out a speed limit sign as opposed to the general scene ahead. Can it be that it uses a separate technology similar to the ANPR that is used in police vehicles?
    Also like the ANPR used at Stanstead Airport car parks and at the Dartford Crossing
    As far as I am aware, the satnavs built into cars used the same software technology as that of the satnav manufacturers. I am trying to understand how the camera would pick out a speed limit sign as opposed to the general scene ahead. Can it be that it uses a separate technology similar to the ANPR that is used in police vehicles?

You're right, the Speed Limit Sign Recognition system has nothing to do with the satnav.

Yes you are right. The technology requires the car to have a forward facing camera and the software to interpret the information and put it on the screen. My car has this as well as a satnav and, of course, they usually both show the same limit. Obviously, there will be times, especially in temporary limits, where they are different; I just haven't noticed them. The scanned limit is always shown within the speedometer and the satnav only shows up when it is enabled on its own screen.

I believe that Ford already offer the ability to have the car slow automatically when there is a limit, but it has not been very popular.
    I've been using my I/Phone as a sat-nav, ever since my sat-nav fell off the screen once too often?.........................It's great really as it updates automatically, and it can be plugged into the 12v via an adapter......................I got it up and running while I was in Holland, as all Euopian maps are free.................................It was just as easy to set up here when I got back....................... ........Not bad, as it's all Free!
    Free - except you pay the phone company for the data. Probably still a better deal than a lot of the satnave around though.
    When using the satnav app on the phone, it is charged against your monthly data allowance. Overrun the allowance and then it won't be "free".
    I don't have a data allowance. You need one to operate the sat nav app and, I assume, other stuff. It is not free as you would pay less without it.
    I don't have a data allowance. You need one to operate the sat nav app and, I assume, other stuff. It is not free as you would pay less without it.

You don't need to use data with most of the free sat nav apps - or paid ones!

You downloads the maps etc at home and then use them in your car as you would a stand alone unit. The only data required is if you have traffic alerts which are very useful but don't use very much data at all.

I believe the Google one may need data as it does not store the maps - although there is an option to nowadays.
    Santa, it is totally free, and you don't need to be on line, or use any of the phones data programs, as your phone downloads the map you are using, and the satalite tracks your position, ........................Thats how it can work out your speed, arrival time......................... Miles to destination, ......."...You can even get all the POI enroute, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but will get you there just the same
    Santa, it is totally free, and you don't need to be on line, or use any of the phones data programs, as your phone downloads the map you are using, and the satalite tracks your position, ........................Thats how it can work out your speed, arrival time......................... Miles to destination, ......."...You can even get all the POI enroute, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but will get you there just the same

1. If the phone downloads the map then its not totally free, although it may be within your data allowance.

2. Satellites do NOT track your position. Your satnav or phone calculates your position from teh satellite signals.
    After a bit of research I see that if you want to it can be free to use satnav on an iphone. You have to download the maps in advance over your wifi link and then switch data off while you are driving. The GPS on your phone will show where you are on the map.

There seems to be some dispute about the directions though and some of the other refinements, certainly you won't get traffic reports, and you can be limited by the phone's small memory (Iphone memory cannot be expanded like an Android I think)

So - yes you can navigate free from data usage so long as you are a little technically savvy. I suspect most people don't care all that much so don't bother.
    There are plenty of GPS apps that are free to download, and as long as you download them over WiFi, it won't use any data.

I have my phone on a setting that stops you from downloading any apps using data, and doesn't do any automatic app updates using data.

So you can get a GPS app totally free and pretty easily. I am not particularly technically savvy at all, just an average user who rarely does advanced settings etc., and I find this easy. No traffic alerts, but to be honest I've never used them, I just have the radio on and set to automatic traffic alerts so if there is a traffic bulletin, even on another radio station, it will divert to that station for the duration of the traffic bulletin and then go back to the station you were listening to. Works even when you're listening to CDs/MP3 etc. as well.
    it will divert to that station for the duration of the traffic bulletin and then go back to the station you were listening to. Works even when you're listening to CDs/MP3 etc. as well.

Always just when there is something on that you really want to hear.
    So - yes you can navigate free from data usage so long as you are a little technically savvy. I suspect most people don't care all that much so don't bother.

I expect the majority of people with smartphones will have some kind of data plan in place so any extra data a few traffic updates will use would not be a problem for most people as they use very little.