Nissan micra 2003 k12 p0340 fault code

my daughters 1L k12 micra has the orange EML light come on if I read the code it comes up as p0340 camshaft position sensor.
    I can clear the code with OBD11 scanner ,the car runs OK but the EML light came back on again after a week,can clear code again and car starts and runs OK,any idea,s thanks Tim
  • 4 Replies

If that P0340 Returned Immediately it would be easy to help you. the fact that it takes a week is worrying.

This old Chestnut !

These cars did and do suffer with stretched Timing Chain Issues.

Remove the Rocker cover and measure the protrusion of the Chain Tensioner. If it is anywhere near or above 10mm. The Chain is goosed.

This could be more of an Eulogy than any help. It is what it is.

If not then replacement Cam and Crank Sensors, purchased from a Nissan dealer may suffice.

Of course, any advice I give is guesswork, without proper testing !!!
    thanks for info,as you said if light came back on straight away or the engine was running rough it would be more likely timing chain,but car is running ok,tim
    It may just be the start of the stretched chain symptoms. You can interchange the cam and crank sensors as they are the same part (I think so check first) and an easy way to eliminate the sensor at no cost.
    I think Hometune is right, they are the same part.

When the chain on these engines does stretch, its quite spooky how smooth & quiet they are. If you are going to swap the sensors around, another 20 minutes may not hurt just to look at that tensioner protrusion. If you know someone with a scope then the Cam drift can be seen very easily.