Parking Charges and Fuel Tax Issues

I came across this published in the Leicester Mercury and I thought it would be of interest

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Ze...ail/story.html

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/opinio...-tax-1-7680941

"I believe that we should reduce fuel duty by 50% a litre. This would increase job creation and reduce inflation permanently."
  • 14 Replies

What would you tax to make up the shortfall?
    Aviation Fuel £7bn tax free fuel is revenue that is then collected from motorists
    So move the cost from motorists (and have you done the arithmetic?) to people going on holiday. Of course - many airlines could fill up abroad so that would alter the calculation.
    Santa has got it right. The airlines could well switch to refuelling abroad. The taxman is obviously going to choose those who cannot find ways around taxation, so the motorist is just one of the targets for fairly secure revenue. Another reason why there is even less possibility of cuts in fuel tax is the recent rapid drop in fuel prices at the pumps. This must have surely hammered the VAT element of tax going to the exchequer.
    Tax is something that will always be a burden to us, and the government will set out their expected income and then levy tax where they believe they can achieve it without too much damage to their political position.
    I watched that program on TV about the 80s, and it was surprising to see the cost of living back then, bread was 35p a loaf? The average house cost £45K and petrol was a fraction of what it is now, (I missed the actual price when they said it?) but the price of a new car was around £950.
    If the government reduce the fuel duty by half then that would mean even more cuts than they have already made. And as had been stated if you tax aviation fuel they will just fill up elsewhere. Think you need a better plan!
    cp plus

hi got a ticket from cp plus for sleeping in services at 2.45 left at 7.42 in morning was going away for a few days with my wife. got tickets couple of weeks later then recived a second letter then today recived from Debt Recovery plus ltd. The says they had a landmark judgment at the supreme court on 4th of nov 2015 can anyone give me same info please or should i just pay or as anybody else had it go this far thanks
    hi got a ticket from cp plus for sleeping in services at 2.45 left at 7.42 in morning was going away for a few days with my wife. got tickets couple of weeks later then recived a second letter then today recived from Debt Recovery plus ltd. The says they had a landmark judgment at the supreme court on 4th of nov 2015 can anyone give me same info please or should i just pay or as anybody else had it go this far thanks

Currently involved with Parking Services at Robin Hood airport. The contractor followed our car into a dead end road - blocked off with wire fencing - where we turned round and sat in the centre of the road for 30 secs to pick up a passenger from a hotel. Received the letter with photo demanding £60. Ignored it and received another. Then another with various threats. Followed by a debt collection agency - 3 threatening letters - and now we have received 3 more from a bunch of solicitors called Wright Hassle (I kid you not). If you Google them you will see just how dodgy they are. Currently I have ignored everything and will do unless a court letter appears.

I got all my advice from solicitors and other here: http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/lofive...hp/t97669.html

You will find you are by no means alone. The case referred to is a recent one where a landlord parked in a private car park where there were charges for staying at so much an hour. He overstayed and eventually the Supreme Court said he should pay. That will in all probability be entirely different from the car park you were in. That site will know all there is to know and they will help you fight it.
    It's not a fine, it's an invoice. Don't pay it. I had one for parking on a trading estate when picking up some parts from a motor factor. I just ignored all correspondence - invoices, threats, offers to settle etc and they gave up after about 6 months. You normally find that the parking company and the debt recovery company are one and the same - they couldn't afford to engage a recovery company for such a small amount. They work on the percentage of those that cough up easily. I think I read that if they were to take you to court they would have to prove that they lost £60 or £70 or whatever they could have got for that parking space so they do not bother. Anyway, you were taken ill when driving weren't you - wouldn't have been safe to continue driving, would it? ;-)

The Supreme Court case is reported here http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/supr...87.fullarticle

If you think you've been penalised unfairly then you can get expert advice on pepipoo.com. Go to the Private Parking forum.
    It must be different her in Scotland then, as after they banned the use of wheel clamps, and other illegal parking methods, on private land, there hasn't been a prosecution for that sort of offence ever since.
    That used to be the case Motman, but the new ruling means that a landowner can charge a higher amount as a deterrent. Whether it applies here I don't know, but the days of just ignoring them seem to be gone.
    The large council car park at Looe, Cornwall, has a huge notice board next to the parking meters. This has numerous 'chargeable fines' under two headings - one for £70 and the other for £50 (might have increased since our last visit!)
    Under the £50 fine, this was if you moved your vehicle from your original spot and onto another spot, and even within the permitted stay for which you had paid up front.
    One side of the car park is adjacent to the tidal river and there are seats situated here. Like other drivers, I have moved to one of the spots close to the seats when a space has become available. This, of course, was before I spotted the clause in the T&C.
    I have wondered how it would stand up in court if such a fine was challenged.
    I don't think that would stand up in court, after all, it's such a stupid rule?.............I mean, what's wrong with moving your car to another bay, especially after you have "paid up front" to use the car park?.......................Must have been some "jobs worth" muppet who dreamed that one up