Ford Focus Mk2 winshield wiper problem

Hello,
    I've joined this forum because I have spent several hours trawling the web for some information, and failed. Hopefully somebody in this forum can help me with this. I have a Mk2 Ford Focus 2010 1.6 petrol sport. The front wipers have stopped working. I've followed the following process to test things which was provide by a Ford mechanic on-line:
    "With the ignition on check for 12 volts at fuse 129 if there isn't 12 volts at the fuse then the fault is an internal fuse box/GEM failure. If there is 12 volts then disconnect the wiper switch connector and bridge terminals pin 6 (black/green) and pin 3 (black/white) with the ignition on the wipers should run continuously on slow speed, if they do the switch is faulty. If the wipers don't run then disconnect the wiper motor connector and check for 12 volts at pin 2 (white/green) of the connector with the ignition on (leave the wiper switch bridged). If there isn't 12 volts then the fuse box/GEM is faulty. If there is 12 volts then check pin 4 of the wiper connector (black) for continuity to earth, if this is OK then replace the wiper motor. If there is no earth then there is a break in the earth wire for the motor.
    There are no relays for the wiper system it is controlled by the fuse box/GEM, this is the clicking you can hear. If the fuse box/GEM requires replacement then the new unit needs to be programmed to the car as it is a control module for various systems on the car."
    I checked the cost of a wiper motor from Ford and its a staggering £250 plus fitting. Before I venture down the path of replacing the motor I'd like to test the motor by applying power from the battery directly to it. Does anybody have the details of the signals on the four pin control/power plug that connects to the motor (i.e. what each of the coloured wires does). Any help would be much appreciated. Pete
  • 4 Replies

Reading the tech info you have supplied, the black wire is earth. I am assuming you have followed the advice and that there is a 12v feed to the switch which is the green/white? So all you need do is apply 12v to the green/white wire and negative to the black wire. The motor will move if it is not faulty. A second hand part will be much cheaper.
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up removing the motor and opening it up to ascertain the connections.
    Pin 1 is switched 12v for fast speed
    Pin 2 is switched 12v for slow speed
    Pin 3 is I believe a switched 12v connection connected to the inside track of the rotating disk inside the motor that is used for automatic parking.
    Pin 4 is a ground 0v connection connected to the outside track of the rotating disk inside the motor that is used for automatic parking and as the Ground supply for the motor.

If the motor is good then supplying battery -ve (0v) to pin4 and battery +ve (12v) to each of pins 1,2,3 in turn will cause the motor to rotate.
    It is almost impossible to get at the pins on the motor connector and hence to test the motor in situ as the connector on the motor is male and the pins are buried underneath the motor when it is installed (hence I hade to remove it to do the test).

Although the fuse looked good with 12v across it, I bypassed the multifunction switch and saw 12v on pin2 and )v on pin 4 ( as advised in my original post) and the motor did turn easily when energised off the car, when I reassembled everything it still did not work. This defies logic I know but I can only assume that when everything is connected something is dragging the 12v down? The car is now with Ford to investigate. I will update this post when I get the solution from Ford.
    Hi, did you ever get a response from ford and a fix, I'm experiencing the same issue just now. Thanks
    Hi all, if I wanted to bypass the front wiper fuse in the GEM which wires would I need to link out? I’d still need use of the switch, at least on a basic function of on/off. I have water damage on my GEM board and it’s stopped my wipers from working. I’m not paying £600 to ford and I don’t have a second key for reprogramming another unit anyway. I’m looking to limp on till I can afford a new car. Any help would be much appreciated.