Using mobile phones

I quite agree that you should not be able to use mobile phones while driving. However if motorist are not able to use phones because it could disturb our concentration, what about taxi drivers, and the police?. The police could answer they are an emergency service, but being an emergency service does not stop it disturbing their concentration. These issues need to be cleared up before banning us poor motorists.
  • 16 Replies

You will find that emergency service drivers are highly trained. The use of communications devices are included in this training.
    With respect, highly trained or not, it could still course problems with concentration when driving. I could be highly trained but I am not allowed to use a mobile phone!
    I have no problem with motorists being banned from using mobile phones whilst driving. The amount of times I have seen men/women gabbing and being totally lost in their conversation and making driving errors is unreal. I wonder how many of the calls are about something trivial? Is it too much to ask to pull over in a safe place and take the call?

Ban motorists!
    I quite agree that you should not be able to use mobile phones while driving. However if motorist are not able to use phones because it could disturb our concentration, what about taxi drivers, and the police?. The police could answer they are an emergency service, but being an emergency service does not stop it disturbing their concentration. These issues need to be cleared up before banning us poor motorists.

The main difference with the police is that they are allowed to use their 2-way radios whilst driving, as is anyone else that uses this type of communication. This is from a legal standpoint though, not a moral one. I personally wouldnt use a handheld device whilst driving, as any distraction such as this causes a lack of concentration on the road.

It has been a long time since RAC patrols had used this type of communication, and we now use a Mobile Data terminal, and legally are able to use this whilst driving. Is this a good idea, reading text messages whilst on the move? RAC didn't think so, so about 4 years ago the software was modded so that whilst moving the screen is inoperable, and the only thing that works is the Emergency contact button. This proactive step is not a legal requirement, therefore many other businesses haven't bothered following suite.
    not only is this dangerous the fines are not high enough as a biker i have been cut up by drivers on phones and at work i have had cars driven at me beacuse the phone call was more important than a simple task as switch on their lights and i was wearing a hi- vis jacket as well
    the fine should be £2,500 and 6 month ban for the 1st offence then a total ban there after

I don't understand your point, Dream.
    Do you mean that you think drivers should carry on endangering people by using their hand-held mobiles instead of paying attention to the road?
    Do you mean that you think the emergency services should not have any communication devices on board their vehicles?
    Police on Mobiles

Wasn't it great to see a Top Police officer in Scotland get done just a few days in to the new laws for being on his phone.

as for Taxi Drivers If i was a passenger in one and they used their mobile I'd call the police and refuse to pay the fare as they have endangered my life.

one other annoying thing I still see HGV drivers on their mobiles one hand on the wheel I would have thought that was the most dangerous of all vehicles to not be in control of.

Even more worrying I still see bus drivers in Bristol on their mobiles too. The Loonies.
    I remember nearly crashing once when I glanced down at my cd player to see what track number was playing. I looked back up to find that the car in front had braked suddenly and I was about to drive straight into the back of him. So when I see people fumbling around to find their ringing mobile or even worse people TEXTING while they are driving (I really have seen this a few times) I get really angry. I think the fine and points is justified. If you really want to talk on the phone, then pull over.
    to julesm39

Hello and thank you for your reply. What i am saying is, as drivers we cannot use mobile phones when driving, which i agree with. However emergency service vehicles, ie police, and taxi drivers talk via a two way radio while driving, and if its wrong for us, it has to be wrong for them. Now what they can do about it i dont know., but before banning us they should have thought about the fact that it effects police/taxi drivers as well.
    Is there a ban on two way radios as well for ordinary drivers? You always see lorry drivers etc using CB radios and the like on the roads. I've never personally used one whilst driving so I don't know how it would afftect your concentration. I guess if they are not handsfree they shouldn't be used and this should be extended to the police and taxi drivers too. Handsfree equipment is relatively cheap these days so I don't see that it should be too big a problem to equip car with this. No doubt if the police did so, council tax would rise :(
    Hello and thank you for your reply. What i am saying is, as drivers we cannot use mobile phones when driving, which i agree with. However emergency service vehicles, ie police, and taxi drivers talk via a two way radio while driving, and if its wrong for us, it has to be wrong for them. Now what they can do about it i dont know., but before banning us they should have thought about the fact that it effects police/taxi drivers as well.

Thanks for replying. Police cars have two on board, so the passenger one can be working the two-way radio, surely? Do the taxi drivers have to be pushing buttons to use theirs, or can they use hands free, which is also allowed, as I understand it, for the general public?
    I'm not too sure of these details because I never have the urge to use my mobile while driving along, and if a call or text arrives I either pull over or wait till I reach my destination to respond.
    The only thing I do disagree with is the ban on using a mobile in the car if you even have your keys in the ignition let alone have the engine switched on. Surely it's OK if your handbrake is on? For example, if you're in a 5 mile tailback and you need to let people know you'll be late?:(
    Jules,

I too am concerned about the issues of being stuck in a jam and needing to contact home (or more likely the ferry company to see if the last ferry is being held or if they'll put a special one). Although I usually have at least one passenger on trips when this has happened, it has occurred when I was alone in the vehicle and under the new rules I could be done. If you're stuck where there's no layby - what do you do?

My phone is off when I'm alone in the car but do pull over and check every hour or so when one takes a break. Jade
    It's an extreme measure, but if you have the funds you could buy a car that has an audio system with Bluetooth hands-free connection and voice activated dialling. You press a button on the car's column stalk, speak the phone number and hey presto you're talking to your nearest and dearest. You need never take your hands off the stearing wheel or even take your Bluetooth enabled phone out of your pocket/bag to make the call.
    Teabag, this sounds 'orribly expensive! But interesting! My problem is I'm part time worker plus carer for family member and am going to be clobbered by tomorrow's budget for having a 1.8l LPG 4x4!

Without advertising can you please give more details (no techie jargon, please, I'm practically geriatric!). Sure it would be of interest to others, too.
    The problem is, as i understand that you cannot use handsfree either. I dont think the problem is pressing buttons, its that you are concentrating on the phone call, and what you are saying, or what is being said, rarther than driving. So my point is, it makes no odds if your using a mobile or a two way radio,as the police/taxi drivers do, you cannot do two things at the same time. The police are telling us this, yet they are doing it themselves.
    The problem is, as i understand that you cannot use handsfree either. I dont think the problem is pressing buttons, its that you are concentrating on the phone call, and what you are saying, or what is being said, rarther than driving. So my point is, it makes no odds if your using a mobile or a two way radio,as the police/taxi drivers do, you cannot do two things at the same time. The police are telling us this, yet they are doing it themselves.

you can use the phone handsfree,but,as has always been the case before this new leglislation came in if it can be proved that by doing so you were driving without due care etc then yes you would get pulled,but as you you have said its the content of the call that is the problem especially if it is a call that is rather heavy going perhaps some question technically with regard to work or the job you are going to that sort of thing,