Single Track Road Issues

Suspect some of you might think single track roads (STRs) no longer exist, but they do, all over the country! I just happen to live in a place where they are common and the sheer ignorance of drivers (and the attitude of insurance companies in general) beggars belief!

The ignorance includes breaking the law (obstruction) and that can include doctors/ambulances/midwives/fire engines and police :rolleyes: ; diving to a passing place on the wrong side of the road; crawling at 25mph and not using rear view mirrors; refusing to undertake (or often incapable of) a reversing manoeuvre when nearest a passing place - could go on much longer!

But when these folks (who have plenty of opportunities to read about STRs on websites and are told and can pick up leaflets on the ferries) cause accidents, both innocent and guilty get the blame which clobbers the innocent person's insurance. It is also rarely overseas visitors who are at fault but UK visitors.

Perhaps the RAC could respond/do something on this issue?
  • 9 Replies

you need RAC Foundation, they deal with motoring issues
    I was asking forum members Goodfella as well - evidently no-one is interested or doesn't drive on them!

As for RAC Foundation - don't be silly - they don't respond!
    You make a really interesting point, ficklejade. I live in London but have driven as far afield as Edinburgh and Lands End on everything from motorways to single track roads. As a townie, I'm not at all keen on single-track roads, especially the very windy ones with high banks that prevent you from seeing very far ahead. I've never to my knowledge obstructed any vehicle and am happy to pull in to passing places on my side of the road, but I have certainly dropped my speed to 25mph at times when I think caution is required on an unfamiliar road.
    Sounds like your part of the world already does try and highlight safe driving on these roads. Why not ask for a fresh campaign?
    Jules, thanks for your comments and yes we are trying to get a new campaign going! Undiscovered Scotland have updated their item on STRs and many of us now have our own handouts, based on the authority's one, to put in accommodation attractions etc.

I entirely sympathise with your comments about STRs - even parts of one's locally I know very well, I am dead cautious about. It's not driving at 25mph/less that's the problem - it's the folks who don't do what you do and that's obey the law!

For someone who used to drive as part of my work in central London many moons ago, I now find cities scary and try (if I have to visit them at all) to use park and ride - not always there or practicable if I have elderly Mum with me.

What is wrong with doing 25MPH in single track roads? most are too small and windy todo any faster and to leave yourself enough time to react to a oncoming traffic
    tenpinn

None of us mind people driving at 25mph providing they obey the law. That, unfortunately, is what a lot of people don't do and in doing so they are guilty of obstruction and cause accidents for example by diving into a passing place on the right when they should stay on the left opposite the passing place.

They also often don't use their mirrors and realise the traffic is piling up behind them - it is an offence not to pull in (obviously when there's a clear line of sight to make it safe) and let faster traffic pass.

We don't drive at m-way speeds, but we do know the roads, the dangerous spots/times of day/year and where the passing places are and are prepared for sheep, lambs, cows and deer on the road. And we have livelihoods; we have hospital and other appointments just like other folk. You may not believe this, though it's true, during the summer I had to take my disabled mum to hospital (near but not on a bus route!!) for an appointment. We left an hour before it was due to travel 10 miles and got there with five minutes to spare - all because of inconsiderate and illegal driving!

Argyll & Bute Council has produced, with the police, a leaflet for visitors about driving on single track roads but, even with them being freely available and with announcements made on ferries, many folks just don't bother. We have only got five policemen - they can't be everywhere!

It's not the 25mph but the refusal to obey the law and still drive at 25mph that is the problem!
    i live near some lanes and often use them to avoid rush hour traffic. I don't get home any quicker, but i prefer driving rather than sat in traffic. I drive safely and cautiously where required, only opening up the taps on the straights (where wide enough obviously). There's always that a***hole coming the other way at 60 tho... on a blind bend.

It's not just STRs that are dangerous, lanes i drive down regularly (room enough for 2 cars to pass) are used by ******* driving on the wrong side of the road... at 60... on a blind bend.

I admit the lanes are more fun than motorways or towns or whatever, but i tend to avoid them in the day now, cos i've had too many close encounters. (Plus the brakes on my car aren't that wonderful).
    STR's

I travel to Scotland a lot and other places with STR's. I find it absolutley amazing that people travel at speed on these roads. Those who know the road never seem to realise that round the bend in front of them is possibly another vehicle. It is only courtesy that my driving type (cautious and like to live longer with a non bashed car) pull over to allow the speedier "nothing will happen to me I am Mr Invincible" go past. I will not deliberately delay anyone and will pull in when it is safe to do so, but please don't tailgate as it will not make me go any faster. You may travel at the speed you feel safe and good luck to you. Please don't curse the more cautious of us. The majority will let you pass.
    so true, tailgating makes me go slower not faster so will get to the place where i can let you pass slower not faster.