favourite drive?

New Zealand - east coast - picton to christchurch via kaikoura. Stop for fish'n'chips on the beach and enjoy the snow capped mountains across the bay. Stunning. Best fish'n'chips are top of the high street on the right hand side if you're facing the water. Make sure you get Kumara chips.

The drive is 4 hrs if you're booting it, and the ferry to Wellington is 3ish hrs. The road is good, plenty of places to stop and fun if you've got a car with some grunt. Watch the tunnels, and remember to see the seals.

2nd favourite drive is to Lake Wanaka - approx. 40min north east of Queenstown - it is stunningly beautiful esp in Autumn near the end of a sunny day. Lighting is amazing, and the water looks good enough to drink. Top skiing, and good means.

Actually - drive the south island of NZ - you'll not be bored in 3 weeks, and you'll want to move there in the end! Finish up in Hanmer Springs at the thermal pools, and drive back to Christchurch, stopping at winery for dinner.
  • 51 Replies

The UK's best drive

I think the best drive in the UK is to take the A303 down to Stonehenge (dual-carriage way most of the route so fast), then turn right at fork just before Stonehenge, onto the A344, then follow signs to the B390 towards Chitterne, which goes across Salisbury Plain, as far as the A36. You can loop back via the A303 to get back to Stonehenge or go on to Heytesbury, where there is a great gastropub called the Angel.

Long straight road, with a couple of killer bends, and you do have to watch out for stray cattle on the road and even the occasional tank. I did see a car on its side once having over-turned after a rather too-enthusiastic imperfect racing line... so be careful, the camber isn't that strong....

But nothing beats doing this road on a summer's evening, just as the sun is going down, with the stereo up loud.... I think Clarkson called this one of his favourite test tracks.
    Drive of your life

Well I must add my favourite drive. Set off early morning from Inverness head North on the A9 in an old soft top car then turn left heading for Skye and spend the next three hours travelling through some of the worlds wildest and most awe inspiring mountain, lochs and ravines that you have ever seen. When you reach Skye go across the contentious suspension bridge - remembering the speed limit on the way over obviously (there is a camera).

Then head off to the North to the third best restaurant in Scotland (called the 3 Chimneys) for a wine lunch in a baron remote desolate place that quite simply takes your breath away.

It's all good...drive on :)
    There are some spectacular drives in scotland! Went from Glasgow to Oban a couple of years ago and the drive was fantastic. Around every corner there were beautiful loch's and Mountain views! Also, in wales, the Black mountains offer some great scenery and some very nice twisting roads that can be great fun. There is not much traffic on those roads and no chance of speed cameras etc so it can be a lot of fun! A lot of car adverts have been filmed there in fact!
    Great! Am going to NZ on honeymoon in 2007 - large part of it is driving but have heard bad things about speed cops ... caution advised I guess.

Thought about some great drives and they tend to be the ones you stumble accross looking for shortcuts. Said to my better half only yesterday that we should keep a box of sticky labels to add to the road atlas when we find a good one... We had to do a detour around Hertford and Harlow yesterday to avoid M25 closure and found a really good short run on the B road out of Hertford (off the A414) towards Essendon (Lower Hatfield Road and High Road) before joining up with the A1000 Great North Road. (A map on Google)

There are some great runs through Thetford Forest too (Icklingham, Lackford, Flempton and Hengrave) most of which is biker territory.

Finally, there are some great drives around the old military roads of Royal Deeside and Braemar out to Glen Coe, the A93
    Drove down to South Wales at the weekend from NW England. Decided to go the A roads way instead of the motorways and it was absolutely beautiful. I'd never been before and the mountains and scenery were breathtaking. A fair few slow drivers though so some patience required!
    loch lomond and surrounding areas
    also drove across the highest passable road in india or may even be ASIA absolutly breathtaking views of the himalayas, would reccomed it to anyone id love to drive that route to work every morning!
    The Cocaholla Highway eastbound through the Canadian Province of British Columbia has breathtaking scenery, plus you get a change of sunshine/clouds about every half hour.
    Consistently favourite drive in England........................................... ..........
    A1 most places between M25 and Newcastle, cos it takes this Londoner to see so many good mates and relatives along its length, has so many memories of going oop North for holidays as a child (didn't everyone holiday in a working pit village?), and it is so smoothflowing compared to the tedious old M1.
    And the greasy spoons are far superior to the motorway services.
    I am not sad enough to create a website about the A1, but I am sad enough to have one in my Favourites.
    A1 Road tribute website

This website is full of fab facts about the road and the places it passes. I love the poem about the Angel of the North
    http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/contents.htm
    If you're interested, but not obsessed, this might suit you better;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_N...United_Kingdom)
    This website is full of fab facts about the road and the places it passes. I love the poem about the Angel of the North
    http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/contents.htm
    If you're interested, but not obsessed, this might suit you better;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_N...United_Kingdom)

will take a looksey thanks very much
    Favorite Drives in the UK

Depending on your poison, and mine's sceneic driving. You can't beat Scotland and Wales for a nice drive. However a word of warning, you need a trustworthy car and a tankful of fuel and check your spare tyre. If you breakdown in some of the mountainous regions, there's no mobile phone signal and the nearest signs of human life may be miles away. Motorists too are reluctant to stop for you, especially if you try and wave them down and they are alone.( I know)
    But for breath taking views and a lovely drive Scotland's mountain, Lochs etc and Wales' valleys can't be beaten.
    Drives through Europe

Can anyone help with a nice route from South wales to The Algarve? I know it may sound strange but it is something I fancy doing but don't really know the best way to get a decent route. I am obviously open to suggestions on good places to stop off on the way.
    Favourite drives.

One of my favourite drives (Doing it for the third time later this month) is on the A71-A75-A9 south from Bourges- Clermont Ferrand- Beziers- Perpignan. Lovely scenery on the Massif Central with all the peaks covered in snow (But hopefully NOT the motorways), over the fantastic viaduct at Millau, across the "Couch of God" with hardly another vehicle in sight,and then drop down from a minus 7-8 degrees to a balmy 18-19 degrees on the Med. with distant views of the snow covered Pyrenees in the distance. Heavenly:)
    Bit biassed here but it has to be the A82 on a cold, bright morning going from Tyndrum to Glencoe after the snow - breathtaking isn't the word! But don't rely on it being gritted!!:eek:
    Showing my age now, but who else remembers the old A1? We always joined it at Alconbury - after me Dad muttering under his breath at the joys of the
    A604 that's now A1124? (is it still as bad - lovely villages but nightmare road) - and this was the start of an adventure in those good/bad old days! Norman Cross as a name fascinated me and then the next hassle would be Stamford, particularly if you got stuck behind a lorry on Great Casterton hill! Grantham was also entertaining - hills, narrow road and low bridge - but the delightful name of Great Gonerby was ahead. Newark was always a huge pain as was Retford but around Doncaster was fascinating - kept looking out for those buckets on cables across the road! We usually broke the journey just north of Ferrybridge. Things go a bit vague after that, though remember Aberford for being queued for hours southbound after an awful accident. It just got a bit boring then though looked out for the airfields and the races at Wetherby. Wetherby also sticks out in my memory for another sad reason: it was where we first encountered the disinfectant washes in the foot and mouth outbreak (not recent one). It always seemed a long haul to Scotch Corner!! Around Darlington was interesting with its red road surface but the next highlight was the then village of Pity Me - what child couldn't be fascinated by that name? Gateshead and Newcastle were boring - except for the bridge but Wide Open beckoned - have never found out about these names!! Morpeth was nice and was when we used to make a decision about leaving the A1 - a debate I didn't take part in! but if we pushed on to Alnwick loved looking out at the Castle and later for views of Lindisfarne. Berwick and the border - the rest was a bit dull!

Am I obsessed? No, just getting on in years and your comments Jules reminded of happy times! Can't get your first link btw.
    Am I obsessed? No, just getting on in years and your comments Jules reminded of happy times! Can't get your first link btw.

Hi Jade, just tried my link now and it works for me, but try this one if you are still having trouble.
    http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm
    Loved your reminiscences about the journey; I remember fewer landmarks, such as the Ram Jam Inn, the smoke and towers at Ferrybridge and the huge pit wheel at Chester le Street. Mind you, I always had my nose in a book in those days - never travel sick. :)
    i was out randomly driving the other day and came across Hambleden and the whole area around there is just nice to drive in
    Jules - thanks - discovered BT had been "working" on lines - fascinating site! How could I have forgotten the Ram Jam Inn?
    Does anyone know any nice drives west of london around the M4 corridor between London and swindow?
    I turn left out of my drive and left again onto town street before turning left onto Butcher Lane and parking there to walk over the road to do my shopping. Then I can turn left back into my road and left again up my circular driveway parking the car facing out ready for next time.
    For me, it has to be the lanes between St Albans and Bedford. On a sunny afternoon, there seems to be only me on the road.
    For me, it has to be the lanes between St Albans and Bedford. On a sunny afternoon, there seems to be only me on the road.

not for long :p might give it a try
    Tenpinn, next time you are in Hambleden, check out the pub. I think it's the Stag & Hounds. Real Ale. Also, if you are into walking, just up the road from the church, a lane goes up the hill on the left into Great Wood, turn left on the track at the crossroads, beautiful views when you clear the trees, and rather large deer down in the 'valley'.
    A39 Somerset-Devon-Cornwall: Minehead to Bude

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my favourite drive in my area. Start and finish where you like, but the interesting bit starts at Minehead on the north coast of Somerset, keeping to the coast for about 30 miles, with spectacular views of the cliffs, the sea and the south Welsh coast opposite, as well as Exmoor on your left.

Soon after Minehead comes the king of hills, Porlock Hill, the steepest road gradient in the UK - 1 in 4. It's hard to imagine but the majority of the hill can only be done in 1st gear, it's that steep! Even with a good-performance car you can only comfortably achieve 2nd near the top of the hill. One factor in this is that there is no run-up to this hill as there is a hairpin bend right before it. When you're driving up it you wonder how on earth your car stays on the road and doesn't fall off as it seems at that moment like almost 90 degrees and you'll end up in Australia!

Then the road continues into Devon, along the coast until Lynton and Lymouth. The speed limit is 60 all the way, but rarely can that be achieved as there are regular steep bits of about 1 in 6 and it is quite bendy. There are wonderful views of both the sea to the right and of the high rolling hills of Exmoor to the left.

After Lynton the road goes inland towards Barnstaple. Here the road is quite narrow, and there are regular, extreme, hairpin bends. Between 10 and 15mph is the absolute limit at which you can get around lots of them, trust me I've scared myself when I was in a rush to get home along there once! If you misjudge a corner badly enough there's a chance you might fall a good 50 metres into the forested ravine down the side of the road.

Between Barnstaple and Bideford the road is a large, wide, straight, flat, main road, with little or nothing of interest. But it is only a short 8-mile stretch before you get to the interesting bit again.

Then comes the final stretch, the 28 miles between Bideford and Bude, going into Cornwall. For about 3 miles out of Bideford the road remains large and straight, but after the village of Fairy Cross, it again becomes fairly small, though admittedly not with the challenge of the stretch before Barnstaple. There are couple of big hills that need unexpectedly low gears, and at times it is extremely narrow and even with a standard car you have to slow down to pass larger vehicles. It passes through some pretty villages and there are regular views of the ocean and nearby Lundy Island.

If you're going to Cornwall or north Devon and fancy a change from the M5, I'd highly recommend leaving at the Minehead exit and taking a look - not only for the wonderful scenery and the fun of knowing you've been up the steepest hill in the country - but also it is a real driving challenge that will test even the more exprienced drivers and you will feel satisfied with yourself and deserve a pat on the back if you manage the whole stretch without making the tiniest of misjudgements. And if you do make a misjudgement it will only make you a better driver afterwards.

VERY approximate times: (bear in mind it's one-lane each way the whole way so if you are caught behind someone the times could vary greatly)
    Minehead to Lynton = 45 mins
    Lynton to Barnstaple = 40 mins
    Barnstaple to Bideford = 10 mins
    Bideford to Bude = 35 mins
    Well I must add my favourite drive. Set off early morning from Inverness head North on the A9 in an old soft top car then turn left heading for Skye .
    Hi 98Seltib,
    You took me back a few years, 50 in fact, My wife and I did that journey on an Ariel 500cc bike to Fairy Cross for a holiday on a farm (fabulous food). Didn't see much of the scenery though being on a bike you need to keep eyes on the road ahead. My wife however said it was great.

The Porlock challenge was well know back then and to be able to say you had done it was considered an accolade. Couple of years later went with friends in their car but he didn't have the bottle to try it.

Thanks for the memory,

peter

p.s. back then the best run was the full length of the M1 to the A5 to Leicester. The ability to full bore your car (max 80mph for me) was fantastic (Austin A55)
    On one occassion went through a fog bank came out the other side and for 4-5 mile nothing behind or on the other carriageway, was quite eerie
    Favourite Drive

I used to write day drives for the MG Owners Club in the 80's/90's and one of my drives was copied by a major outfit and famous presenter, videoed and sold as a Video. After that I wrote no more. It was nothing to do with the club just one of those things that I could not prove. The roads I found and the route took several visits to find photograph and plan. Too coincidental to be their idea as well, complete with similar pictures.I don't mind someone doing the video as long as they just gave me a credit " Based on a drive by......" No cash necessary as the club gave me a small renumeration for the article.A great club by the way if you like MG's
    favourite drive

New Zealand west coast from Haast to Queenstown it gives you everything with straights and great climbs. Just drove it last month (mar) through a heavy rain storm and after the rain glorious sunshine with rainbows and cascading waterfalls just briliant
    Nikki, message 7, I fully agree with your choice, but would add a warning here: take it VERY easy on the upper Loch Lomondside road, ESPECIALLY if you drive a bus or HGV! The part of the A82 between Tarbet and Inverarnan, while admittedly very scenic, HAS to be one of the worst stretches of main road in the whole of Britain. It's narrow and twisting and, while the surface has been repaired reguarly, it's only a sticking-plaster job. That stretch of road should be widened and straightened (or at least less bentened!) to match the rest of the A82: check the contrast between the lower Loch Lomondside road and the upper Loch Lomondside road, and you'll see exactly what I mean!