2001 1.8 zetec focus starting fault

I need advice with an intermittent starting fault with my 2001 Ford focus 1.8 zetec.

When the ignition key is turned to the 3rd position the starter motor does not turn, the starting relay behind the glovebox does not click, and the odometer displays dashes '-----'.

The car started after the ignition key had been turned on/off a few times, so I suspect the fault may be the ignition switch but I dont understand why the odometer displays dashes, could it be the ECU preventing starting ?

Any ideas ?
  • 2 Replies

Firstly clean and tighten the battery connections.When the starter fails to operate, do the lights, fan, etc stop working as well (or are weak)? If so, you may need a new battery. If not, it could be corrosion on the starter connections, or a failing starter relay.
    The battery connections are sound, battery voltage is 14.4 volts, lights and fan work OK when fault is present.
    My Haynes manual wiring diagram shows that the starter relay is switched by the ECU, this is not happening. Could the ECU be faulty or sensing a bad input ?