Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,136 Posts
    04-05-24
  2. 247 Posts
    Today
  3. 2,251 Posts
    27-04-24
  4. 48,282 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,563 Posts
    Today
  6. 10,968 Posts
    Today
  7. 713 Posts
    16-04-24
  • NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution)
    I was in a hired car from Europcar, it was alleged that on the 14th March 2024 on the nip it stated Careless or inconsiderate driving. The notice of... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    And from my understanding every time the ISA is overridden it's logged in the data recorder, and with most if not all new cars being connected to the... see more
  • Gearbox malfunction after service
    Hi @Kat8763, Welcome to the Community. I wanted to share some thoughts based on what you've described, I'm not an expert and I'm hoping that... see more
  • Minor petrol pump issue
    I wouldn't say that I chose petrol per se. I would happily consider any fuel (inc an EV), but this particular vehicle had very low mileage despite... see more
    @Mark07 My local (Tesco) filling station allows me to preset either a set number of litres or an amount in multiples of £10.00. Interesting to... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    @TC1474 I totally agree with your final statement EVs are in fact great if you don't want to spend money on petrol, and want faster... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    I agree that there are some serious questions about the benefits of switching to EV. It's not just cars either, but all those scooters and bikes made... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    @Mark07 Personally I can see it not really having a huge positive impact People who habitually and grossly disrespect the laws will think... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    Based on what has been reported, do you think this will be a net positive change for road users? see more
  • Legal Care Plus - clarity around cover for other family members
    So I spoke to 'a very nice man' (haha!) in the RAC legal cover team. This policy covers anyone named on the policy in any motoring-related incident... see more
    A few weeks ago, I thought I had encountered a similarly sensitive nozzle. In my wisdom, I kept filling despite the handle 'clicking off' several... see more
  • Aurora
    Didn't catch them but loads of folks at my work did. Bit annoyed as it was a G5 storm. Don't think they come alone often. see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    I found this article regarding electric vehicle batteries which I thought makes some interesting points and certainly puts me off wanting an EV for... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    My understanding is that the option to over ride will remain, not least because (at the moment anyway) we are not a member of the EU anymore, and it... see more
    Hi Trevorhill171, Thanks for sharing your story. We'd love to hear the outcome and understand how the community was able to help. The advice... see more
  • M25 junction 16/17
    "Lane closures" usually means just that - some lanes will be closed but not the whole road. ​​​​​​​You will not be able to see the level of... see more
  • M25 junction 16/17
    Hi All My first post on here. I am travelling in the early hours of the 17th May clockwise around the M25 from the M4 up to the M11 for stansted... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    I'd imagine there will be a period that will allow drivers to get used to the limiters, then the option to disable will be removed. I wonder if they... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    My understanding is that drivers here in the UK will be able to over ride the speed limit in a similar way to how cruise control is deactivated ,... see more
    An offence will be specified on the original NIP. If it is just a section 3, this is very broad and wide ranging under the heading of careless... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    To add I believe Japan has a hard speed limit of 112mph or something which is only turned off upon entering a race track Their enthusiast car... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    Personally I've never actually bought a car based on its top speed It's all about acceleration, handling, smoothness etc. for me I don't even... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    I'm seeing a number of articles saying that starting on July 7th, all new cars sold in the EU and the UK must have speed limiters fitted as standard.... see more
    But the OP hadn't given any specific details of the alleged offence, which is what I was asking, and that careless driving is a very broad category... see more
    Some nozzles do seem oversensitive. Some cars seem to have restricted fillers. All I can suggest is that you need to insert the nozzle fully into... see more
  • Gearbox malfunction after service
    ​​​​​​​Hi, looking for a bit of advice please. I have a 2018 Audi A4 avant stronic tfsi done 44k. On the 9th jan this year it went in for a full... see more
  • Repair concern
    If the car is considered unsafe and/or unroadworthy and you decide to drive it and, as a result a crash or further damage is cause, liability will be... see more
    Filling my car today the pump clicked off like they sometimes do but this time it wouldn't start again I'd paid at the pump so just put my card in... see more
  • Motability nightmare
    Old thread but I had a small incident with my Motability car and the RAC came out within 90 mins or so and sent me home in a taxi, which was a couple... see more
  • Waiting times for rescue
    @Drivingforfun The battery was under RAC warranty and we took out at home cover to deal with such eventualities - difficult to get anywhere to get a... see more