rac sat nav

Hi Guys,

Any one any more info here? Also does anyone know where to get map updates? We have had a few new roads in the ROI lately..

D.
    Hi Stevest220
    My satnav110 also has the same problems as yours. I don't have any safety(speed) cameras on the POI. How do I get this file?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Try this page:- http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Worked for me, cost £2!

Hi Oscar
    Just wondered how you did that? I logged onto pocketgpsworld but my pc does not recognise the memory card or unit. Does this now mean I have to buy a card reader in order to update my satnav?

I have no safety speed camera category on my poi, so therefore, the card must be faulty???:confused:
    :mad:
    Speed Camera POI's

I can e-mail the speed cam poi's to you, but, you will need a card reader as windows does not recognise satnav unit as an external hard drive. I brought one for under £10 in Tesco's.
    USB Driver to Access SD CARD

To access the SD Card (and the PDA part of the device too) you can use the driver from here: http://www.roadcom.co.uk/DriverSetup.exe

Once thats installed the USB conection will work.. you'll then need Microsoft ActiveSync installed which allows you to sync with the device (id reccomend hitting no and not setting up a relationship.. that might get you in some toruble) instead set it up as a guest and then hit the explore button once its connected..

The device is now visible for copying.. and the SD Card can be accessed in the SDMMC DISK folder :)

That should get you started.. as for POI and map updates im looking into those now.

(oh and dont bother with RAC phone support.. they had no idea.. i had to take some best guesses to get this far..)

Sam
    Thank you Sam

I'll give it a go

Steve
    I'm now pretty sure that I have updated the speed camera locations with the latest data from pocketgpsworld.co.uk as well (it costs you £2 but thats a bargain so i wont email you the files.. they are easy enough to get yourself from the official source for £2) - i used the usb lead during the process so it works fine :)

If anyone wants to know the exact steps needed I will write up a tutorial for you..

I have a slight problem though.. to check the cams i want to zoom to a location i know theres a cam and look for it.. when i use zoom to and go to the location the gps then zooms back to the gps fix position straight away... this is useless.. i basically cant view the map because the map jumps back to gps position even indoors (the antenna is very good i have to say - tom tom on my phone doesnt geta signal here in the house while this does - annoyingly if it didnt then there would be no problem)

Anyone know how to turn off the GPS antenna just for a bit so i can view the map without it jumping me to the gps location?

Thanks,
    Sam
    In fact its more annoying than just if it has a fix.. ive managed to cover the antenna in enough foil to stop it working... and it jumps back to the last known position!!!

This is very very annoying and could prove to be a deal breaker.. there must be a way to just browse the map and search points without it jumping about like a mad man. Route66 provides the option.. it just doesn't work properly.. this could be an RAC/nuTool/RoadCom issue.. or it could be a Route66 issue.. but it needs fixing.

And one more (major) thing.. the SD Card that comes with the device hasnt got enough room for the speed cam updates.. i copied everything to a bigger card to do this..

Its a bit stingy to give us a 256mb only card, and to add insult to that to have it absolutly full!!! I only wanted to add 450kb!! (I know theres only 230mb or so of data but once you have fat tables and everything it is too full) a 512mb mmc/sd card can only add pence in the sort of quantities they are being bought for these devices and would have made it much more user friendly out of the box..

Thats probably the reason you cant get any official updates at all for this thing.. the card cant take them..
    One Hour Review

From what I can tell RAC aim this device at non-technical users who just want to pick up the device and navigate. Based on that heres a few things that need sorting..

The printed manual is absolutly no use at all. It covers nothing like updating, connecting to PC or anything like that. It doesn't even mention activation. (Theres a slip of paper in the box for that)

Activation.. I have no idea what activating does.. Its not made clear anywhere.. the device works without it so I havent done it, I assume it allows updates, but from what I've read there currently are none and the ones that people have tried that should work fail. (and need the card repairing at RoadCom/nuTool)

The card is full.. A 256MB card is too small if you are going to fill it.. 512MB must cost pence more in bulk at current prices and would have meant users who did manage to get it connected and find compatible updates could add them.. as it is I cannot adda 450KB update to the speed cameras.

Speed Cameras... virtually non existant on the device.. theres loads missing. And im talking high thosands here not 500..

USB Driver.. NON-Existant!! (See my post futher up about how to get it working despite the official driver being absolutly non-existant)

Backup mapping data.. theres a CD provided with 3MB PDF manual of Route66 on it.. why not use the spare space to put the USB driver and a backup of the SD card on there.. In fact why not go one step futher and include a proper OS backup as well in case people need to restore the WinCE OS as well. they have a licence for it so why not include it. (this would also let advanced users safely change to other navigation software should they so choose.. this can only be a good thing - although it would of course void any support until it was restored ot factory settings - currently impossible in some cases id guess)

The bad spelling errors in the help file.. they are everywhere and make it look very unprofessional.

The bugs.. half the time you cant view the map without the device jumping back to either the current GPS position or the last known position.. this is really really annoying. This could actually be a reason not to use this alone if there isnt a way to sort it.. am i missing something??

Other little things.. like the calibration screen clearly being designed for winCE devices with keyboards.. it asks you to press ESC and ENTER... this is a bit confusing on a device with just a touch screen..

The entertainment application also isnt briliant.. but thats an added extra so i can let it off..
    Please write a tutorial

AND - I agree with what you say about the size of the sd card memory. Why do RAC state that a feature of the unit is that it can play mp3's when you can't load anything on the sd card. I am currently using a 512mb card and have loaded some mp3's on it. They play fine through my car stereo. I will be upgrading to a 2 or 4 GB card soon.
    Based on what ive seen so far id try and get a 4GB card and try it first to make sure it works... im just grabbing a 2GB to test that for you now.. 1GB works as i just used one.. (and ill write up a quick tutorial in a sec :) )

Edit: 2GB SD works fine.
    OK..

To update the speed cameras with the latest ones on pocketgpsworld.com youll need:

A PC with internet connection,
    A RAC SATNAV100 Device,
    The USB Cable,
    A Bigger SD Card (512MB or 1GB, 2GB all of these ive tried and work for me..),
    This Driver: http://www.roadcom.co.uk/DriverSetup.exe ,
    ActiveSync: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6257291 ,
    An account on pocketgpsworld.com (FREE): http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...nt&op=new_user
    £2 and a Paypal/NoChex account or a credit card or debit card.

First install the usb driver and activesync downloads from above.. reboot if asked too..

Power on the satnav and connect it to the pc via usb..

Windows should detect a new device and ask where to look for the driver.. point it at the folder where the usb driver is (default: c:\RC400Driver) and it will find and install the driver.

Activesync will then pop up after a short break and ask you a yes/no question about making a relationship or sync partnership with the device.. the option you want is no.. this creates a guest account only and doesnt try to synchronise stuff..

Now click explore in activesync.. youll get an explorer window with the contents of the PDA.. (BE CAREFUL NOT TO MESS IN THERE)

Open up the SDMMC CARD folder and youll see all the stuff on the supplied card.. select it all.. and copy it (DONT CUT) to a folder on your PC.. (this is very slow but trust me you need to do it)

When its fully done, pull out the USB cable, and turn off the satnav.

Eject the sd card and put in the new blank bigger one..

Turn the satnav on and reinsert the USB lead (dont try to start navigation at this point i have no idea what will happen)

Activesync will then pop up after a short break and ask you a yes/no question about making a relationship or sync partnership with the device.. the option you want is no.. this creates a guest account only and doesnt try to synchronise stuff..

Now click explore in activesync.. youll get an explorer window with the contents of the PDA.. (BE CAREFUL NOT TO MESS IN THERE)

Open up the SDMMC CARD folder and youll see nothing..

Select all the files on the PC that you just copied there and COPY them back to the empty folder on the new card (again this will take ages)

After this is done you can either keep the files on the PC as a backup (HIGHLY RECCOMENDED) or delete them to save space.. but as they tiny i reccomend keeping them.

Now go to the URL above and register for free on pocketgpsworld.com.. check your email and click the link in it to activate your account.. once thats done go to: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php

Subscribe using either a paypal or nochex account - if you dont have one you can use a credit or debit card to pay (without getitng an account) through either paypal or nochex.. the links on the right of the page are the ones you want which are for a one month subscription £2... thats enough to get you one update of the speed cam files (the most recent one).. or if you want to get a full year subscription and youll be able to do this as many times as you like..

After doing that.. go to (if not there already which you should be if you paid by paypal.. i was redirected there automatically after paying): http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

and in the drop down list select: Route66 (PPC) and press the continue button.

in the next page select: UK Speed Zoned Complete (24 Files) and hit download database button... this will provide you with a zip file to save.

once thats downloaded open the zip.. and copy all the files in it into the folder (SDMMC CARD / POIs / Britain ) using the activesync explore option as usual. :)

That should be it.. the POIs should show up in the POI list (they all start with pocketgpsworld_xxxxxx )

(note while ive done this as i said earlier i havent really tested it as the device isnt mine.. form what i can se eits all working fine and the cams are all added.. but as always im not gonna be responsible for what you do to your device.. though if you get stuck i will of course try and help (though I only have the device tonight so ill be doing it from memory :) )

Any other questions or im not clear anywhere let me know and ill see if i can clear it up for ya..

:D
    Thanks for the 'quick tutorial'

I'll giv it a go and let you kow how I get on

Steve
    I managed to update the satnav with the update available from www.66.com. It starts it now at startup. But the new update does not recognize the GPS device in the SatNav110 so the upgrade is not worth it.
    RAC Sat Nav 110

Hi all, I am new here so please go gentle with me :)

I am thinking of buying one of these units later this week, currently £130 in my local Woolworths.

I have been reading through the posts on here about this unit, and it seems a good system, although there are a few comments that are not so good about it.

At the moment I am torn between the RAC 110 or a Navman F20, the F20 looks quite good and is around the same price, but it don't come with the following:

Stylus
    Mains charger
    Carry case
    USB lead\Software

I really need to be able to connect it to my PC for doing updates when available and I want to back up the SD card (I have read on here that the supplied one is not really big enough, I have got a 512 mb one so want to use that).

I really need some advice, good or bad, regarding which unit to buy, I know I probably am wrong for mentioning the F20 on here and if so I apologise for that, but I don't want to go and buy one then regret it afterwards.

I also read that the chargers fail on the RAC unit after a while, is that the car charger or the mains charger that fails ?
    Does it also charge up via the USB lead (in case the mains charger fails) ?

Any advice, good or bad, would really be appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance and I look forward to posting on here again soon (I am at the moment swaying towards choosing the RAC unit above the F20 because it has the extra bits that the F20 don't have)..
    Best regards
    Sally
    Errr! reading these posts I'm wondering why SatNav is necessary at all? Sounds more trouble than it's worth;)
    re SATNAV110

I purchased a RAC satnav from Woolworths a few months ago and find it a whole lot better than the TomTom i had previously.

I have upgraded my speed camera data too by going to this website:
    http://www.66.com/route66/support.ph...K&sec=1&ssec=2

I enquired about new map data with Route 66 and found out the maps already on the unit are the latest that are available to anyone, including TomTom, and the next version is due out early this year.

The customer service department is very helpful, you just need to ring the number that was in the manual!: 01302 720006.

i Too recently purchased the Rac Satnav110, and must admit I am very pleased so far, this is my first so I am not in a position to make comparisons.
    After reading on this forum I went ROUTE66 to check for any updates, those that I found I downloaded and installed.
    I then wandererd around my local area on the Satnav and saw a number of speed camers that I knew for a fact did not exist in my area, one of them showed a camera at a location on the Geat West Road, Ok so you ask whats wrong with that, whats wrong is, it was on the Dartford Crossing of the M25, I then found a number of Cameras on the Uxbridge Road.
    There were quite a few for the same area and all shown to the East of the
    M25.
    Upon having a look at the POI for these I found navigational errors, the Minus sign missing on the longtitude, if this were there it would place them to the West of the meridian not the East.
    I deleted all of these POI`s and installed the uptodate files from PocketGPSWorld, which as far as I can see are accurate at least in my part of the world.
    I complained to Route66 only to be told they do not support this Navigator and to contact the manufacturer.
    I am content to use PocketGPSWorld for future camera updates, but will there be somewhere to get any maps updated.
    As far as I a concerned this is a good piece of kit, and thankfully forums such as this are a great place for information.
    I am using Route66 Version 7.0.2071, is it likely we will have updates, it seems pointless to ask Route66 themselves.
    cannot find site to download driver forsatnav110

i bought a sat sav rac 110 i tried the disc but doesnt want to play,anyone help also how can you change time and date from ireland to uk time and date,nice unit but so many difficulties if anyone can help ring me on 01298816510 or email me on [email protected] it is becoming a real pain
    RAC Sat Nav

I went to buy one on monday but was told by my local wooloies that they no longer stock them, the lady rang around the stores within a 50 mile radius to see if anyone had any but nope, so I went and bought myself the Navman F20

I am happy with it, although you don't get any extras, no USB lead, no software at all, no carry case, and no AC charger unit :confused:

Oh well, nice unit all the same.
    re

i bought a sat sav rac 110 i tried the disc but doesnt want to play,anyone help also how can you change time and date from ireland to uk time and date,nice unit but so many difficulties if anyone can help ring me on 01298816510 or email me on [email protected] it is becoming a real pain

Hi Nigel

The disk does not have anything to download, it is PDF files which not give you much more information than the help files in the unit.
    As for the time, the GPS I think is set Zulu time which is internationally GMT, if you change the time setting to one of GMT +1 Belgrade, when you set a destination it should the give the correct ETA.
    Ray
    PS If you would like the PDF file, let me know an I will send a copy of it to you.
    any chance of a copy of the sat nav software on the memory card?
    re

any chance of a copy of the sat nav software on the memory card?

The first thing I did was to backup the original and bought an SD card which is the one I use.
    I can send a copy by Pando which I use for large files, simple to use and free as well, if you can post your email address, I will send a copy to you.
    Ray
    rac sat nav card

hi ray, any chance i could have a copy of your card, would be very much appreciated yours john. [email protected]
    hi ray, any chance i could have a copy of your card, would be very much appreciated yours john. [email protected]

Hi John.
    No problem.
    Will send ASAP

Ray
    satnav110

hi i got a rac satnav 110 today and i can"t get it working. it ask for product activation so i wented on the web and got a activation key but when i put it in it comes up activation has failed (error 0 fff9ff93) can someone help.

ALAN
    Cheers Ray you are a star up and running again thank you.
    hi i got a rac satnav 110 today and i can"t get it working. it ask for product activation so i wented on the web and got a activation key but when i put it in it comes up activation has failed (error 0 fff9ff93) can someone help.

ALAN

Hi Alan.

Can only go by my own experience, so others may disagree.
    When I first got mine out of the box and switched on I had the registration screen as well, I tried to register and had the same problem, I just ignored it, just went to Navigate and it worked fine, there is no need to register to make it work.
    If it is not working at all, try a reset, with the little hole at the side, I know they say it should be done as a last resort, as far as I can see all you lose is favorites.
    My own opinion of it is a nice little unit, easy to create your own BMP`s for personalised POI and sound, accuracy is excellent,as I drive up to my house I am told I have arrived just a I draw level to the gates.
    Shame about support though.
    I suggest using the camera updates fromwww.pocketgpsworld.com for only 2quid.
    Ray
    its quite easy to do...first have a look what operating system and processor the rac unit is running...will look myself a.s.a.p.....then get another memory card and download any other systems software running the same processor...they all mainly running a form of windows ce same as thease little palm computers.....little bit more to it than that but that is the gist of it....

PLEASE DO NOT ADVOCATE PIRACY OF SATELLITE NAVIGATION SOFTWARE ON THIS FORUM

Has anyone tried this?
    Can somebody please post the actual name of the .exe file ?

if the update error is due to a file name change then i can simply change it back.

mine is currenly called Autorun.exe

cheers

nick
    Files you require are on there way Nick.