Green Flag recovery get-out clause. Is the AA the same?

Long story short, was due to MOT a customers car on 12th this month but she needed the car. Rebooked it for tomorrow but has today broken down. Clutch problem. Anyway, I said get it to me, I'll get the clutch sorted then do the MOT. She rang back and because her MOT expired, Green Flag were refusing to tow it. She's had to pay £120 to get it towed here and she will have to get a cab here to collect it when it is done - I was going to pick it up and deliver it back to her as she lives near me. No sympathy - entirely her own fault - would have been cheaper to have gotten a cab to work and back on the 12th.

Here's the clause from their policy document:

"It meets any legal requirements and driving laws that apply – for
    example, it may need to be taxed and have a valid MOT certificate.
    We can check these details when you ask us for help."

Personally, I don't see the relevance of tax and mot as a contributory factor in a breakdown situation and it just smacks of a get-out clause to me. What if, for example, your car has been laid up off-road for a while and you want to MOT it so that you can tax it but can't start it? What if it had a cracked windscreen, faulty lights, empty washer bottle etc. etc? Are the AA/RAC/other recovery schemes the same? Worth keeping an eye on your MOT due dates if that is the case
  • 2 Replies

I have had a look at the RAC T's & C's and Tax and MOT is not specifically mentioned. (Unless I missed it). The only relevant clause I could see is this:

Upon request from us, you must provide us with
    proof that the vehicle complies with any of the above
    conditions and allow us to examine the vehicle
    to confirm whether it is in a legal or roadworthy
    condition, at any time. If you are unable to provide
    us with such proof, if you do not allow us to examine
    the vehicle or we consider (acting reasonably) that
    a vehicle is not in a legal or roadworthy condition
    for any other reason, we reserve the right to refuse
    to provide any service under this membership
    relating*to that vehicle. This means we may decline
    your claim

http://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/...onditions.aspx

Make of that what you will.
    Green flag, RAC and AA etc are all for emergency breakdown assistance...if they start allowing cars with no MOT's then they will start being used a a free trailer service to get old cars to their garages. Would not be surprised if all breakdown companies are the same.