Evidence for Mutual Recognition

Hi,
    a few days ago I've come to England with my European (left-hand drive) car to work here for about a year. As I'm considered to be resident in the UK, I can't really use my car until I get it registered (which is a shame, but there's nothing to do with that).
    For registration, I need the Mutual Recognition form to be processed by VCA:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-recognition
    I got stuck when filling in this form. My car is relatively new (Ford Galaxy, 2018), so I can switch lights to the UK specification and display mph on digital speedometer, but they require some evidence of these standard features (see page 2 of the form). Apparently, it's the "original, vehicle specific, garage statement". However, I called to a few MOT stations and a Ford service close to my home and none of them seems to have an idea of what kind of statement I need. Usually they say that they don't do such things. Once I was told that there should be some form for this, but I can't find it on government or VCA webpages, so there might be none.
    Does somebody have an experience with the Mutual Recognition form? Or have an idea of what kind of evidence I need?
    Thanks a lot!

• 6 Replies

Look at page 4 of the form, it suggests getting a certificate from Fords.
    Do you mean CoC (European Certificate of Conformity)? I already have it and I think this is not enough as it does not state that the vehicle conforms to the UK specification.
    4 How to register a used vehicle you have imported

To register a used vehicle, you will need to send the following to the DVLA:

• a filled-in V55/5 application form (the V355/5 leaflet will help you fill in this form)

• the fee for the vehicle tax (see leaflet V149) Note: Since April 2010, any vehicle first being registered in the petrol-car, diesel-car or alternative-fuel car tax classes will have a different rate of vehicle tax. These are known as First Year Rates. Used imported vehicles will pay the First Year Rates if the vehicle has been registered abroad for less than six months or has travelled less than 6,000km (3728 miles). Full details on First Year Rates are available at www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables 7

• an original non-UK registration document or certificate for your vehicle. This document or certificate will not be returned to you. You will need to send a letter explaining why this is not available with a dating certificate from the manufacturer or other acceptable source.

• Certificate of insurance or cover note (downloaded copies are acceptable, photocopies are not) valid on the date the vehicle tax comes into force, for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address. Note: For GB and NI vehicles you will need to insure the vehicle using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number. The British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) will be able to give you information on insurance companies that provide the cover you need. You can phone them on 0370 950 1790 or for more information go to www.biba.org.uk or send an email to [email protected]

• a current original MoT or Goods Vehicle Test (GVT) certificate (if appropriate) (For any information on MoT or GVT testing, phone Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) on 0300 123 9000) • photocopies of documents confirming your name and address (see section 7), and

• evidence of Type Approval (see section 8).

• the first registration fee (see section 9)

A Certificate of Conformity • For UK registration, if you have an original European Certificate of Conformity it will need to state that the speedometer shows miles per hour (imperial units) and that the vehicle is suitable for driving on the left-hand side of the road. If this is not stated then you will require additional approval.
    Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by Santa;n195128
    Ford has an online application: http://www.ford-coc.com/en/

I already have a CoC list.

Originally Posted by Santa;n195129
    A Certificate of Conformity • For UK registration, if you have an original European Certificate of Conformity it will need to state that the speedometer shows miles per hour (imperial units) and that the vehicle is suitable for driving on the left-hand side of the road. If this is not stated then you will require additional approval.

My CoC list (unfortunately) does not state that the speedometer can show miles per hour and that the vehicle is suitable for left-hand traffic. So, the question is what is the "additional approval". I guess it's the Mutual Recognition form, for which I need some evidence ...

Finally, I got what I wanted. Luckily, one garage was so kind to do this apparently non-standard thing for me and even check with VCA what they need. They wrote me a letter containing all the details of the garage (address, phone number, VAT number, Mot test station number), the details of the car (make, model and VIN), and the statement that the car now conforms the UK specification. This statement contains phrases from page 2 of the application for Mutual Recognition form for the three points there (headlights, speedometer, and rear fog lights), so it is quite detailed. I hope it goes through.