Random insurance question

There’s a video doing the rounds recently

A car is parked at the side of the road with engine off and all doors closed, unaccompanied. Cyclist decides to ride into the car, falls off, gets up and car driver comes over. She demands insurance details from car driver who says he thinks he’s OK as his car is undamaged. She says no, the insurance is so she can make an injury claim as the car was parked in her way. The driver just laughs

- putting aside the fact I too would have laughed her off as a scam, did the car driver actually have to provide insurance details? I recently learnt from this forum that if another driver demands your insurance details for any reason or indeed no reason, you are obliged to give them - does this apply if a non-driver, with no insurance details to share in return, asks for details?

- what’s the likely outcome of this to be? I can have a guess but wouldn’t be totally shocked if somebody tries to make an example of the car driver on behalf of the cyclist in whatever way they can
  • 1 Reply

The requirement to provide details applies where there has been an accident "owing to the presence of a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place"[Road Traffic Act 1988 s,170(1)] I guess that covers this case.

NB the obligation to give insurance details only applies when there is a personal injury, and definitely not "for any reason or indeed no reason".