RAC Won't recover my car

Hi. I have the top level of cover for breakdown, I logged a call yesterday morning at 6AM. I waited until 11AM for someone to attend after the time was pushed out 4 times during that 5 hour period.

I was told a recovery flatbed would be required to take my car to a local garage. The time eventually updated to show someone would be out at 5pm, a full 11 hours after reporting to collect the car.

This was no good as the garage would have been closed, so I called up and was assured I was booked in for 8AM-12AM pickup the following day (today).

The time comes and passes again with no communications or updates, so I call. I'm told the time has been moved forward to 14:30. I called up and they told me the case had been passed to an escalation team to get a local contractor to come and recover my car and someone would be in touch within the hour.

That was 2 hours ago, it's now 14:30. I've had no further communications and no one has shown up to collect the car a full 32 hours after my initial reporting.

I have an appointment at the garage for 8:30 tomorrow morning which I've waited a month for, if the car doesn't make it there, I'll need to rebook and be without my car for a further month.

What is going on? Every call handler I talk to doesn't seem to have a care in the world that I'm without my car and talks to me like I'm pond scum. I keep being lied to about times, I keep being pushed down the list of priorities and I've now sat here for 2 entire days without recovery.

Who do I escalate this to so I can cancel my policy and get my money back for providing absolutely no service and leaving me stranded for, at this point, could easily now be an additional month?
  • 1 Reply

Community Manager
    Hi @Dimebag
    Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. 👍
    As community manager I don't have access to customer accounts. Neither do other community forum members of course.
    Here is a link to the RAC contact page which has all the different teams' contact details.
    I hope your situation gets sorted soon.
    Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔
    Got a question or want to start a discussion? Create a new post here. ✍
    Looking for info? Start with a new search. 🔍