What Gave Me 'The Hump' Today

I went to vote today. Handed over my Voting Card ad Driving Licence. He called out a number to the lady handing out the Ballot Papers, three today because of Mayoral and London Assembly votes. I found numbers on the back of all three papers, and I asked if they were used to identify me. This was affirmed. So the anonymous 'free' vote is yet another sham scam.
    This is not new, it's been that way pretty well forever.
    So far as I recall form my school-days (sixty years ago) it can only be used with a court order, which is pretty well unheard of.
    I used to go to my local Community Centre where I was given the top copy off the pile with no identifiers at all. At that time I handed over my Voting Card and it was kept so it couldn't be re-used. After I had put my cross in the relevant box, I would fold it in half and put it in the box. It was completely anonymous. This as the same system whatever political election. As to comment about a Court Order, they were just ordinary people who had the list of names and addresses along with the numbers, although I am sure they had some kind of job title, and I do not believe for one minute that an interested party could not obtain them. I think this is an agree to disagree moment.
    I apologize if this reads as insulting in any way, that is not my intent.
    I also apologize generally for starting this thread as I now read my original post as political, it was not my intent, I just felt the need to vent.
    I used to go to my local Community Centre where I was given the top copy off the pile with no identifiers at all. At that time I handed over my Voting Card and it was kept so it couldn't be re-used. After I had put my cross in the relevant box, I would fold it in half and put it in the box. It was completely anonymous. This as the same system whatever political election. As to comment about a Court Order, they were just ordinary people who had the list of names and addresses along with the numbers, although I am sure they had some kind of job title, and I do not believe for one minute that an interested party could not obtain them. I think this is an agree to disagree moment.
    I apologize if this reads as insulting in any way, that is not my intent.
    I also apologize generally for starting this thread as I now read my original post as political, it was not my intent, I just felt the need to vent.
    The linked document (from Parliament itself)) explains that the current procedure has been in place since the Ballot Act 1872. I can't confirm that - my experience only goes back to 1970!
    https://publications.parliament.uk/p...68/768ap12.htm