Peugeot 207 anti pollution fault

I have a Peugeot 207 sport less then 32000 miles 07 plate, which I’ve owned for 3 years no problems.
    Recently there is this swishing noise coming from the front (where the engine etc is)
    Not even 2 weeks ago one morning it would start, kept cutting out and thus swishing noise got loader, the engine management light was on with a warning saying faulty anti poulltion, that’s being took it to my local garage who literally refused to take it apart to get to the belt without any leaks put it into the diagnostic machine which showed nothing, by then the engine management light had gone so had the anti pollution.
    This morning I turned on the car and the swishing noise was the loudest it has been to date, but no info or faults, this evening as I turned it on the anti pullout on was on with the engine management light again, the Rev counter was slightly moving on its own between 1-2,

I only drive 5 miles or less a day and the swishing noise started a few days after it was snowing badly several months back.

Could anyone shed some light please as I wanted to sell the car!
  • 4 Replies

Is this a 1.4/1.6 hdi diesel or a 1.4 petrol sport?
    If your car is the twin cam chain driven engine, they are known to suffer from head gasket failures. This results in air entering the cooling system and you then hear the 'swishing noise' from the internal radiator under the dash. They also suffer very badly from timing chain stretch preventing them starting easily (or not at all) and while garages can fit a new chain assembly, there is a software upgrade to the ECU (car's engine computer) which can only be done at a Peugeot dealer. This fault will bring on the engine light and anti pollution warning, initially only occasionally to start with and as it gets worse, the starting becomes harder and the light stays on longer. One day it will not start. You may have 2 faults if this is the engine in your car.

If your car has the cambelt driven 8 valve engine they too suffer head gasket failures with the same 'swishing noise' as above. Check your coolant level and top up to max. Drive the car, let it cool down and recheck the level. If it has gone down and there are no visible external leaks from the engine or radiator then probably a head gasket failure. If the level remains at max, this could be a water pump fault, a thermostat fault or cooling fan problem. If the car had no or little antifreeze in it during the very cold weather then probably a cylinder head problem.
    Community Manager
    Similar community discussions can be found here - Help needed! Anti Pollution Fault & Engine Management light (Peugeot 207) and Can you help? Anti-pollution light (Peugeot 207)

This 'Check Engine' light article may also point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Welcome to the RAC Community! Start here 😀
    You can say hi and introduce yourself too 👋
    What should you do after a collision? 🤔