Using passing places

I came across a long lorry on a single track road the other day. I stopped opposite a passing space which was on my right, as is custom, so that the lorry could pass. I was half tempted, though, to go into the passing space myself as it would have been much easier for me to do so than for a lorry

However I wondered whether this would be appreciated or considered overcomplicating a situation so decided to just do the expected/predictable thing

Are there any rules r.e. using a passing space on the "opposite" side of the road? Is there even an "opposite side" of the road on a single track road? Is "keep left" a thing on single track roads?

A bit different, but I was once passing a load of vehicles parked on the opposite side of the road when an ambulance wanted to come through, so instead of creating a slalom for the driver I drove onto the opposite side and parked in among the cars, to enable him to just drive in a straight line...I was a new and inexperienced driver at the time but it just seemed the logical thing to do...the driver seemed appreciative
  • 7 Replies

I do whatever's easiest providing it doesn't constitute a danger to myself or others. I have gone into passing places on the right to allow buses and dustcarts to pass. I also do it to allow people to pass me if they come up behind a bit quick.
    Thanks, good to know someone else shares a similar pragmatism

I did remember hearing something though, not so much a rule or official guidance but just advice from someone involved with driving in some way...

Something like: it's better to do what's expected or predictable, than what's necessarily "right" - if being predictable means avoiding conflict or incident

Not sure I agree but I can see the sense in it
    As a retired driver of long lorries, frequently on narrow roads, I will say that the main thing in these circumstances is to do something positive. The worst situations are where a nervous car driver makes a half-hearted effort to pull over and dithers about so you have no idea what they will do next.

Stopping opposite a passing place, provided it's long enough is fine. Crossing over to the passing place to get right out of the way is even better, but circumstances may alter cases - for example, there may be other cars behind you.

All I can say is that you should drive at a speed which will allow you to stop if necessary and hope that whatever you meet will also have the common sense and driving skills to negotiate the situation.

When my kids were small they used to complain that it was always us who had to reverse.
    The Rule (155) says:
    "If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right."
    However, I'd take the same approach as Santa
    There's a single track with passing places not far from me. Save going into details, it is in constant use by artics, cars, tractors, vans etc. But it does cut two miles off going round, even if it does take up to an hour longer!
    Banned
    I do whatever's easiest providing it doesn't constitute a danger to myself or others. I have gone into passing places on the right to allow buses and dustcarts to pass. I also do it to allow people to pass me if they come up behind a bit quick.
    Last edited by Mark07; 17-05-24 at 13:08. Reason: removed link
    Sorry, should have clarified. The last comment was meant to be sarcastic, in the sense that there are those who will sit for extended periods of time, instead of finding more efficient routes. M25 and M40 during rush hours being perfect examples.